TV on DVD & Blu-ray

Discuss TV shows old and new.
fdm

Re: TV on DVD

#476 Post by fdm » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:38 am

First The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis and now Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. Whoever is responsible for finally getting this stuff out there, keep up the good work!

manicsounds

#477 Post by manicsounds » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:37 pm

dwk

#478 Post by dwk » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:17 pm

According to Fangoria, Entertainment One is releasing Monsters: The Complete Series on February 25.

Perkins Cobb

#479 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:13 pm

60s Batman finally confirmed for DVD (but it should really be Blu-ray at this late date), thoroughly overshadowing the afternoon's ho-hum Criterion announcements.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#480 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:14 pm

perkizitore

#481 Post by perkizitore » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:16 pm

Graham

#482 Post by Graham » Thu May 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Amazon have removed The Sopranos from sale, so fingers crossed they broke a Warner embargo or something.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#484 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Wow, I thought for sure it'd go to Shout Factory, but any label getting them out is a good label

britcom68

#485 Post by britcom68 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Dharma and Greg Season 2. At long last, the pre-9/11 Clinton years can be relived again! :roll: I just came across this today. I do not intend to buy this until I hear more reviews about the quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Dharma-Greg-Compl ... a+and+Greg

manicsounds

#486 Post by manicsounds » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:43 am

dwk

#489 Post by dwk » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:03 pm

According to TV Shows on DVD, Shout Factory, through their Timeless Media imprint, is releasing Sam Peckinpah's TV series The Westerner on DVD on February 14th. Unfortunately, it is a Walmart exclusive.

jazzo

#490 Post by jazzo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:59 pm

dwk wrote:According to TV Shows on DVD, Shout Factory, through their Timeless Media imprint, is releasing Sam Peckinpah's TV series The Westerner on DVD on February 14th. Unfortunately, it is a Walmart exclusive.

Hopefully for only a short window. As a Canadian, i can't place an order for this, and I'm fairly certain Walmart Canada ain't getting this.

dwk

#491 Post by dwk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:52 pm

jazzo wrote: Hopefully for only a short window. As a Canadian, i can't place an order for this, and I'm fairly certain Walmart Canada ain't getting this.
Good news, The Westerner DVD set is getting a wide release on May 16th

dwk

#492 Post by dwk » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:33 pm

I picked up The Westerner DVD today and, while I haven't had a chance to watch any episodes yet, I wanted to mention that it has an audio commentary with Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons, David Weddle and Nick Redman on the following (Peckinpah directed?) episodes:
Jeff
Brown
The Courting of Libby
Hand on the Gun
The Painting

and it has a bonus show, "Trouble at Tres Cruces" from Zane Grey Theater, which was directed by Peckinpah and was a backdoor pilot for The Westerner (This also has an audio commentary with Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons, David Weddle and Nick Redman)

dwk

#493 Post by dwk » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:20 am

WB is releasing Samurai Jack: The Complete Series on Blu-ray on October 17th

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#494 Post by swo17 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:18 am

colinr0380

#495 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:44 pm

I have just spent the last month or so working through the 7 disc set of all four of the Duckman seasons. I remember catching some of the show when the BBC aired a few of the episodes back in 1997. This was the time when the BBC did not seem to really know what to do with American TV shows so they threw The Larry Sanders Show and Seinfeld on at 11.30 p.m. during weeknights on their secondary channel, BBC2. Later that year Duckman turned up, but only about thirteen episodes from season 2, and then nothing else. Even so those few episodes that were shown (America The Beautiful, In The Nam of the Father, Color of Naught, Research and Destroy (with its wonderful screwball visualisation!) and especially the series own great take on The Simpsons-style clip show episodes, Clip Job) made a big impression on me and so 20 years later I picked up the complete set (most of the episodes are on YouTube now, but I'm still a physical media fan!). Which was something that made the meta-joke in one episode that the series would get cancelled until eventually finding a cult following twenty years later hit very strongly!

That showed to me that those season 2 episodes were the strongest ones, but only in the sense that this is where the Private Investigator structure is at its strongest, whilst in the later two seasons any sense of a framing structure disappears for more wacky shenanigans of the week episodes (including the ultimate example of the penultimate episode "Where No Duckman Has Gone Before" being an elaborate parody of every memorable Star Trek moment (mostly Star Trek II and the original series) before it is all revealed to have been a nightmare being had by Leonard Nimoy!), and while a lot of the sexism is followed by a sound beating from various women we are still usually fully meant to be enjoying Duckman's bawdy comments. He is the grumpy amoralist driven by instinct and railing at the world that continually keeps beating him down, and under the abrasive exterior just looking for love (in all the wrong places!)

This is probably Jason Alexander's best role, but there is also a great list of guest voice actor cameos in there: Gilbert Gottfried, Bobcat Goldthwait, Tim Curry and so on. I also really like that despite the out there antics there are some surprising pay offs to action dozens of episodes earlier that turn up out of the blue, such as:
SpoilerShow
Grandma-ma being switched with an escaped criminal which gets used as the basis of a plot in episode 36, then in episode 37 there is a one off gag that the criminal is still pretending to be Grandma-ma, which just feels like a funny but silly single moment joke. But then in episode 66, halfway through the final season, the criminal suddenly reveals himself as still having been there all along for months, and this dangling thread finally gets dealt with! How all this affects the "Crime, Punishment, War, Peace and The Idiot" episode that is meant to be a flashback inside Grandma-ma's head to her Russian upbringing is interesting too (which is presumably the criminal's flashback? Or something imposed by a meta-voice over? :-k ), though I think that I am way overthinking it by that point!
I also particularly like the show for the multitude of gif-able reaction shots:
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lowry_Sam

#496 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:23 pm

I have just spent the last month or so working through the 7 disc set of all four of the Duckman seasons
I have too. I was ecstatic to see that this was released on DVD. Now if only the complete The Tick & complete Space Ghost (w/ Christmas specials) series would be released (and perhaps the unexpurgated Beavis & Butthead episodes & Liquid Television), my animated TV series collection could be complete.

colinr0380

#497 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:49 am

Despite agreeing that the season 2 episodes are where the series as a whole is at its strongest, I did enjoy the entire series a lot. Though it is something that I don't think was cancelled before its time, and prefer instead to celebrate that it got to four seasons! I see what reviews mean when they say that a grounded family dynamic structure eventually drops away after the first two seasons, and that the first season is much more overtly satirical with lots of digs at contemporary issues (episodes on evangelical television, big business and so on), while the second is more about the Duckman family dynamics and the detective agency, before a lot of that gets dropped as it all moves towards more broader plots and ones which allow playing with the medium of animation more, as well as homaging things like the musical episode taking off the "Road To..." movies long before Family Guy did it. (Though the Haunted Society Plumbers episode is probably the best of the old style comedy parody episodes, with the "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa1 Plumbers" gag!)

It also has the best series cliffhanger ending ever for a show that then got cancelled! One that would be incredibly frustrating if the show was entirely character-based, but ends up being funny almost as a parody on cliffhanger endings!
SpoilerShow
In keeping with the Four Weddings inspired title every major character gets paired off, then Duckman's dead first wife 'shockingly' turns up and it is revealed that Cornfed knew that she was alive all along! On that dramatic note the entire series ends with a big question mark! Though after he has been marginalised a bit during the last season of the show for more interesting supporting characters, it does emphasise that the show is mostly about Duckman. And that Cornfed, despite being the more 'normal, decent and competent' character, is a bit of a jerk too (very much the Leonard to Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory terms, where the 'normal' person despite being contrasted against a much more abrasive character somehow ends up seeming the more vindictive one!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearcuborg

#498 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:23 pm
I have just spent the last month or so working through the 7 disc set of all four of the Duckman seasons
I have too. I was ecstatic to see that this was released on DVD. Now if only the complete The Tick & complete Space Ghost (w/ Christmas specials) series would be released (and perhaps the unexpurgated Beavis & Butthead episodes & Liquid Television), my animated TV series collection could be complete.
I think you can find The Tick pretty cheap on Amazon UK. I just watched my dvds a year ago, and they still hold up. Perhaps the best super hero adaptation ever-better than Marvel and The Incredibles.

dwk

#499 Post by dwk » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:01 pm

Mill Creek is releasing The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: The Complete Series on Blu-ray in Februray.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#500 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:19 am

Whoa, excellent!