TV on DVD & Blu-ray

Discuss TV shows old and new.
milk114

TV on DVD & Blu-ray

#1 Post by milk114 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:51 am

I've been watching the first few seasons of West Wing on Bravo the last few weeks and for the first time feel that I want this damn show on dvd to watch again and again and bask in the glory of Sorkin's wittiness.

Why?

Damn it all, I pay for cable to be able to watch all the crap that's out there, and I've watched the first few *seasons* by now of West Wing but I want to own them and watch them again on my time.

I understand these forums are more focused on film but has anyone read anything about how dvd has changed TV? Producers for big films seem to bank on dvd sales to make up costs they don't get in the theatre. Even comic books (to show some of my true colors) are now more often then not being written with prolonged story arcs so they can fill tradepaperbacks (usually 5-6 issues) b/c they know they'll make more money in trades, especially at Barnes & Noble or Borders, then they will the individual 6 issues. SO... is this true at all for television shows?

We have apprentice, survivor, daily show is coming soon... how long till Ken Jennings' run on Jeopardy makes it to dvd? Every episode of Buffy, of X-Files is available for purchase at your nearest retailer. Wonderfalls, with 9 episodes that never aired on television, will be out beginning of february. I guess DVDs mean something to the people who control the pursestrings. So how does that effect us? (and I'm miffed that Black Adder collection still costs so much).

milk114

#2 Post by milk114 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:54 am

I suppose when my favorite release of the year is The Office complete collection I am really hooked on the entire concept.

Polybius

#3 Post by Polybius » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:12 am

I'm hoping that the success of the idea, and the unexpected sales of even canceled shows like Firefly and Family Guy will add another layer of considerations in favor of taking on more risky and challenging programming at the earlier stages.

When even shows that had short lives, but critical acclaim (like Freaks and Geeks and Al Franken's Lateline) make it onto the format, you know it's really making inroads.

All I can say, in the end, is that I'm incredibly happy that any episode of Homicide: Life on the Streets is available to me at any hour of the day.

The Invunche

#4 Post by The Invunche » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:28 am

Polybius wrote:All I can say, in the end, is that I'm incredibly happy that any episode of Homicide: Life on the Streets is available to me at any hour of the day.
I second that.

Kellerman: I just want you to know that I'm here for you. if you want a hug, I'd be happy to give you one.
Bayliss: A hug?
Kellerman: Yeah.
Bayliss: Do you and Lewis hug?
Kellerman: Yeah.
Bayliss: A lot?
Kellerman: No, not a lot.
Bayliss: But enough.
Kellerman: What do you mean?
Bayliss: Well, do you want Lewis to hug you more?
Kellerman: Forget I brought this up.
Bayliss: No, no, no. You brought up the hugging thing.

Bayliss: I'm a detective, Frank. I'm a keen observer of the human condition. I pick up on the subtlest clues, I react to the slightest suggestion. In short, I deduct.
Pembleton: Who told you?
Bayliss: Brodie.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#5 Post by Caligula » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:08 am

Maybe it's just me.

But I really can't understand how some of the TV-series out there make it to DVD whilst something like The Rockford Files languish in company vaults.

Here's a few gems:

Electric Larry: Harry, the soda machine at the bar is busted again.
Harry Smick: It was fixed last week.
Electric Larry: Tell that to the customer drinking scotch and air.

Jim Rockford: Yeah, well we got snarled up in a case in August. I ended up doing 90 days on a county honor farm.
Lance White: Well, I'm sorry about that Jim but I had my client's interests to protect and you did break into that hotel room.
Jim Rockford: What client? Who where you working for? Nobody seemed to know.
Lance White: Well, that was kind of a strange one, those 3 little boys hired me.
Jim Rockford: The triplets? They were only 8 years old.
Lance White: Yeah well when their folks were killed by the mob, I kind of took 'em in. Finally, I made arrangements for them to live on a friend's farm in Vermont.
Jim Rockford: Isn't that nice? A happy ending. We all got to go to a farm.

Jim Rockford: [to hood who has just kidnapped him] Does your mother know what you do for a living?

[Rockford knocks out a thug with one punch]
Jim Rockford: Ow! If I could do that without a roll of quarters in my hand, I'd be a terror.

Polybius

#6 Post by Polybius » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:19 am

I think the same legal limbo that kept Jim Garner in court for years might be tangling up The Rockford Files, which is a pity because that was a wonderful show.

Bayliss: "Some things you just can't talk about with women."

Pembleton: "Why don't you pretend I'm a woman..."

solaris72

#7 Post by solaris72 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:09 am

Woooo Homicide! Aside from the fact that it was a great show in general, one of the few really well written shows on network TV, I especially love watching Homicide when I'm here at college in Boston...it's like an hour long trip back home to Baltimore

The Invunche

#8 Post by The Invunche » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:48 am

I've recently discovered The Wire. The show is also created by David Simon and it's about police and criminals in Baltimore. It's not as good as Homicide but it helps with the withdrawal symptoms.

Polybius

#9 Post by Polybius » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:05 am

It's mighty Goddamned close to Homicide =D>

It is, without a doubt, the best dramatic show on American TV right now.

filmfan

#10 Post by filmfan » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:25 am

One thing for sure is that the writers for "West Wing" have watched alot of Howard Hawks films !

Ted Todorov

#11 Post by Ted Todorov » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:46 pm

Note: I haven't had TV since 1981, so I've discovered all of these on DVD to start with:

Other TV on DVD classics: My So Called Life -- the most tragic cancellation ever, IMO. S1 of Twin Peaks and hopefully S2 before the world ends.

Worth a look: Northern Exposure, Farscape, Law & Order, Six Feet Under, Singing Detective, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, I, Claudius, L Word, Sex in The City, etc.

Of the stuff already mentioned by other posters above, Freaks & Geeks, Firefly and Buffy are certainly spectacular.

I'll have to check out West Wing & Homicide, Life on the Streets. Too bad all this TV show viewing leaves no time for movie DVDs...

Ted

P.S. For those who asked -- yes TV on DVD is having a huge impact on the biz as well. Example: the quickly cancelled Firefly is now getting the feature film treatement courtesy of its DVD success. (Though frankly that's a mistake -- they should have just revived the show itself -- wouldn't you have happily traded Star Trek I to VI for a fourth season of the original show -- I sure would have).

oldsheperd

#12 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:53 pm

Harri, you can get the Freaks and Geeks series at DVDpacific for 28 bucks. I probably stand alone, but I'm totally hoping Roseanne makes it to dvd soon. By far my favorite show ever.

Edit: Sorry Harri, they must have caught the mistake on the Freaks and Geeks dvd. Now it's 43 bucks.

devlinnn

#13 Post by devlinnn » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:08 pm

Note: I haven't had TV since 1981, so I've discovered all of these on DVD to start with
Ted, waste a little time on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Season 3 is due in a couple of weeks. Friends are tired of me saying so, but they have all come around to the view that it is the work of pure genius. Larry David has rarely come up in discussion here, but arguably there is no one presently working in the comic medium of television and film that can touch him. So good, that it is hard to watch much else these days.

neuro

#14 Post by neuro » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:27 pm

Larry David has rarely come up in discussion here, but arguably there is no one presently working in the comic medium of television and film that can touch him.
Agreed as well, devlinnn. I do like Seinfeld, but I wish that every person who received their box sets this Christmas had a copy of Curb along with them. Larry David has reached that mythical comedy zone where I laugh upon just seeing him, whether he's delivering a line or not.

ben d banana

#15 Post by ben d banana » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:12 pm

yup, curb your enthusiasm has upped the bar on pettiness, spite, agony and humor. i get the feeling each episode is made just for me and i couldn't be happier.

Ted Todorov

#16 Post by Ted Todorov » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:06 pm

devlinnn wrote:Ted, waste a little time on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Season 3 is due in a couple of weeks. Friends are tired of me saying so, but they have all come around to the view that it is the work of pure genius. Larry David has rarely come up in discussion here, but arguably there is no one presently working in the comic medium of television and film that can touch him. So good, that it is hard to watch much else these days.
Thanks for the tip -- should I be starting with S1 or S3? How different is it from Seinfeld because I was never much of a fan -- of what I saw at a friend's house, it didn't do much for me.

Ted

ben d banana

#17 Post by ben d banana » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:33 pm

i know seinfeld haters who love curb so there's hope.

start from the beginning to see all of the obsessive pettiness unfold as it was meant.

devlinnn

#18 Post by devlinnn » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:33 pm

Start with the pilot episode found on disc 3 of the Season 1 set, then take the episodes in turn, as characters and bits of business pop up in the future. If you were not a fan of Seinfeld, don't worry. Larry David has created something more human, sexual, jewish, spiteful, hysterical and just plain superior here. Hey, he actually makes Ted Danson funny. I've yet to see season 3, but if episodes come close to the brilliance of 'The Doll' and 'Trick or Treat' from season 2, I'm in for a great late January.

(It's especially great if you're married or in a long term, hetrosexual relationship, without kids.)

ben d banana

#19 Post by ben d banana » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:40 pm

devlinnn wrote:I've yet to see season 3, but if episodes come close to the brilliance of 'The Doll' and 'Trick or Treat' from season 2, I'm in for a great late January.
are you ever.

bcsparker

#20 Post by bcsparker » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:14 pm

These might be coming out of left field, but we need Dr. Katz, Night Court, and The Muppet Show on DVD

Polybius

#21 Post by Polybius » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:34 pm

Were any of you Davidians there for his Fridays period?

Steven H

#22 Post by Steven H » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:58 pm

bcsparker wrote:These might be coming out of left field, but we need Dr. Katz, Night Court, and The Muppet Show on DVD
Dr. Katz was always a favorite. H. Jon Benjamin was brilliant. The episodes with David Duchovny and pre-fame Ray Ramano were great. There was a great Dr. Katz bit tagged onto the end of a Mr Show episode (the one about mediocrity, I forget the title, but it mocked Amadeus) featuring "hot college comic Kedzie Matthews". Nice little piece of comedy.

ben d banana

#23 Post by ben d banana » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:58 pm

i barely saw any fridays, but i did see the andy kaufman & fiance w/ the pretenders episode when it originally aired and remember the ganja guy whining about the show/abc owning his priceless material years later as he came to town as a struggling stand up.

bcsparker

#24 Post by bcsparker » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:48 am

This is a mild rant, but here goes:

Is anybody else out there sick of how big the TV DVD sections are getting in stores? In a place like the Best Buy in my town, where space is at a premium, the TV section takes up three aisles. The regular box sets (you know, the stuff YOU WANT TO WATCH) are relegated to being stacked on top of each other on one big shelf. It's starting to get sad, if you ask me. While every show seems to have their own little cult, some of the recent releases boggle the mind. I mean, 227? I'm just waiting for the day when I'm gonna see a ridiculously large 10-volume Cosby Show set.
But seriously, here's the problem I have. With constant new shows on TV, and their instant release on DVD, the number of titles is going to increase exponentially every year. This is going to dramatically cut into the number of movie titles that retailers will be able to stock in their stores. I admit, I don't know what can really be done about this, but I'm just starting to worry.
Mainly because I'm not a real TV fan. No Seinfeld or Friends for me. No Cold Case, Apprentice, Survivor, J.A.G, SVU, NCIS, CI, CSI, or any other crap that has been shovelled out for America's consumption. Don't mean to offend any fans. Wait, actually I do. It's formulaic shit. The comedies aren't funny and the suspense shows are boring. It's bloody, fluffy chum laid out for people to feed on. Look at the way al the cop shows are filmed. It is clearly meant to glorify the violence. Now I'm no prude when it comes to this (I'm a MIIKE fan, for Chrissakes) but this is just the way I see it. Every time CSI goes to one of it's green-tinted flashbacks and you hear squishy sounds and something penetrating flesh, I swear I can hear America salivating. I'm just waiting for the day when they show a rape from the cervix's point of view. I guess the average Joe just feels better about their crappy day at work if they can come home and see children dead and people violated with home appliances.
Last edited by bcsparker on Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andre Jurieu

#25 Post by Andre Jurieu » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:51 am

bcsparker wrote: Don't mean to offend any fans. Wait, actually I do. It's formulaic crap. People aren't happy unless their watching a dead 10 year old who got raped with a broomstick and strangled with piano wire.

Which episode of Friends or Seinfeld had that plot development? I must have missed it, but that would have made for an awesome sit-com episode. So daring!