Lost

Discuss TV shows old and new.
godardslave

#1 Post by godardslave » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:18 am

is this any good?

i have avoided watching any of it, but the un-ending avalanche of hyperbole about it on the web may finally be getting the better of me.

souvenir

#2 Post by souvenir » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:52 am

If you like neverending puzzles where pieces are constantly being added for little reason, then yeah it's pretty good. My biggest problem with it is that so much seems superfluous and unnecessary, as though they're trying to extend the show's life beyond their original intentions after it became successful.

John Cope

#3 Post by John Cope » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:57 am

Yeah, I agree with that. I enjoy the show but I fear it may amount to far less than the sum of its parts. If it does, it is not one of those series which I'll likely return to for the sake of the nuances as they all seem so clearly designed to support the eventual outcome. In other words, in this case the outcome matters a lot.

Fletch F. Fletch

#4 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:32 am

Agreed. I feel that this show works best watching it hugh chunks, preferably on DVD. I don't have the patience to wait from week to week (and now there's a big gap until the next chunk o' episodes). I like to devour entire season sets in a few sittings where I can appreciate how the episodes blend together.

Polybius

#5 Post by Polybius » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:50 am

Personally, that's my practice with most shows I have on DVD and my attitude toward most episodic shows in general.

Derek Estes

#6 Post by Derek Estes » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:14 pm

Fletch F. Fletch wrote: I feel that this show works best watching it hugh chunks, preferably on DVD. I don't have the patience to wait from week to week (and now there's a big gap until the next chunk o' episodes). I like to devour entire season sets in a few sittings where I can appreciate how the episodes blend together.
I Totally Agree. The line of suspense falls apart on a weekly schedule, with commercial interruptions. DVD is really the best way. Though, I find it difficult avoiding constant spoilers everywhere, before the DVDs become avoidable.

GringoTex

#7 Post by GringoTex » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:21 am

godardslave wrote:is this any good?

i have avoided watching any of it, but the un-ending avalanche of hyperbole about it on the web may finally be getting the better of me.
My wife and I bought the DVDs a few weeks ago and have thoroughly enjoyed going through it together. It's great for discussion. But I cant imagine sitting through it alone.

marty

#8 Post by marty » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:37 am

Lost is one of the worst TV series ever made. If you want to see a great TV series on DVD, then check out Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage. Even Weeds is much better than Lost.

Derek Estes

#9 Post by Derek Estes » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:55 am

marty wrote:Lost is one of the worst TV series ever made.
So, I take it you've never seen Herman's Head.

The Invunche

#10 Post by The Invunche » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:53 am

marty wrote:then check out Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage. Even Weeds is much better than Lost.
If you are talking about HBO shows how can you lave out The Wire. The best show ever produced in America (or the rest of the world).

Fletch F. Fletch

#11 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:06 am

Derek Estes wrote:
marty wrote:Lost is one of the worst TV series ever made.
So, I take it you've never seen Herman's Head.
hah. Or Dream On. Or anything on the WB or Reba. *shudder*

Polybius

#12 Post by Polybius » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:01 am

The Invunche wrote:
marty wrote:then check out Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage. Even Weeds is much better than Lost.
If you are talking about HBO shows how can you lave out The Wire. The best show ever produced in America (or the rest of the world).
It's definitely the best show on American TV right now.

And it's on the short list for best drama ever produced.

dx23

#13 Post by dx23 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:21 am

So, anyone else anxious for the arrival of season 4?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:49 am

Lost is like 24 for me-- at this point I'd be so far behind that I just can't commit the necessary man-hours to watching the series.

dx23

#15 Post by dx23 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:04 pm

New viral marketing campaing for season 4 of Lost has begun:

http://www.flyoceanicair.com/
http://www.find815.com

Billboards of the Oceanic Airline has been placed in several strategic spots.

THX1378

#16 Post by THX1378 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:42 pm

I'm anxious also since everyone dealing with the show has said that it's back on track after the first part of season 3 went off course. It will be interesting to see how the show deals with the flash forwards.

Fletch F. Fletch

#17 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:24 pm

THX1378 wrote:I'm anxious also since everyone dealing with the show has said that it's back on track after the first part of season 3 went off course. It will be interesting to see how the show deals with the flash forwards.
I'm really excited by the prospects of Jeff Fahey joining the cast. He was so good in Planet Terror and it should be interesting to see what kind of character he plays on the show.

Antoine Doinel

#18 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:11 am

Season 5 trailer.

milk114

Re: Lost

#19 Post by milk114 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:24 pm

Is anyone watching this season? I can't believe they
SpoilerShow
got back so fast

mogwai

#20 Post by mogwai » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:26 am

Well, with only two seasons left at seventeen episodes each, I suppose it's to be expected. Things are feeling a bit rushed. I just hope they don't overlook the many questions that still remain.

Foam

#21 Post by Foam » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:04 pm

My friend had been yelling at me to start this for months, so a few weeks ago I started watching season one. I'll watch like 2 discs at a time, take a break, two more discs. I have two more episodes to go and then I'm done with the first season. It will probably be a huge cliffhanger, and I don't have a readily accessible Season 2 box, so I'm kind of wary.

This show is entertaining and it seems like there's a lot of cool mysterious stuff going on but I doubt it will add up to much in the end, just like Twin Peaks didn't.

Matt

#22 Post by Matt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:00 pm

I don't think it will be spoiling anything to say that the show is one big cliffhanger. The questions you have now? You'll probably still be asking them when you finish season 4. And you'll have three more seasons of questions, too. But I think Lost avoids Twin Peaks' pitfalls in that it doesn't really have one huge question at its center but rather dozens of smaller, interrelated questions. The show certainly has its weak points, but I think it's very rewarding overall. When it ends its run, I'm sure I'll want to go back and watch it all over again.

Antoine Doinel

#23 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:25 pm

I was talking with a co-worker the other day about the show, and what's really remarkable is how crazy the narrative is right now. A colleague of ours had missed the last four of five episodes of this season and tried to watch last week's episode cold and was utterly and completely lost. I can't even imagine what going back and watching season one would be like now. Foam, I would recommend that if you're liking the show at all to stick with it, because the writers have really taken the premise to some unexpected places. If they don't cock up the final season, the entire series is going to be an amazing accomplishment.

Foam

#24 Post by Foam » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:41 pm

Yeah, I think I'll stick with it.

I saw some TED talks with J. J. Abrams and he seems like a smart guy.

Well, I've finished Season One. How my friend could give this to me without a Season Two handy is incredible. What torture.

John Cope

#25 Post by John Cope » Thu May 14, 2009 2:35 am

Any thoughts on the season finale? I was pretty impressed with it for the most part; actually far more so than I expected to be. First, Mark Pellegrino was great and I hope he returns though nothing is ever for sure with this show. Beyond that, the reveal of where it's actually going and (more importantly) where it's been going all along was very well done and frankly quite thrilling. It's interesting because I remember being very disappointed last year when we discovered that
SpoilerShow
Locke was dead,

but now somehow the simple confirmation of that fact not only had far greater resonance for me but also had the kind of impact that it lacked last time; this I suspect has everything to do with what is being established around that revelation. At long, long last there is some genuinely mythic large scale cosmology being established here that appropriately reduces the relative relevance of much of the show's previous mythology to almost trivial proportions. That "almost" is key though as many of those details have very significant human importance and even those that don't (the endless minutiae that has been debated over the years) now occupy a space between the mundane and the divine.
SpoilerShow
The scenes of Jacob visiting and touching key cast members at different points in their lives is one of the best things I've seen here ever.

The context that provides for these characters' personal dramas gives them weight they did not have before.

Still harbor my suspicions about whether this will all turn out to be worth it but finally there is a proper scope to justify the presumptive mythos.