Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Discuss TV shows old and new.
denti alligator

#26 Post by denti alligator » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:52 pm

From daveyp's Hitchcock wiki site:
Hitchcock appears again after the title sequence and drolly introduces the story from a mostly empty studio, or from the set of the current episode. At least two versions of the opening were shot for every episode:

* a version intended for the American audience, which would often spoof a recent popular commercial or poke fun at the sponsor

* an alternative version for European audiences, which would instead include jokes at the expense of Americans in general
Do we only get the American versions? Or do the R2 versions of the first two seasons have the European openings and endings?

Also:
For later seasons the opening remarks were also filmed with Hitchcock speaking in French and German for the show's international presentations, reflecting his real life fluency in both languages
I really, really hope that when Universal gets around to releasing the later seasons these French and German versions are included as extras!

Quot

#27 Post by Quot » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:09 pm

Dylan wrote:Good news, of course, but at this rate I'll have to wait years to get "The Hitchcock Hour," which in my opinion was superior to (and far stranger and more interesting than) "Presents." Did anybody here ever see "The Jar," from a story by Ray Bradbury and music by Bernard Herrmann? One of the greatest things that ever came out of television.
I saw "The Jar" when I was kid, early 60's. Scared the ever-lovin' hell out of me. And it WAS one of the greatest things ever to come out of television--that's no hyberbole. I think it was the sixth season or so, and Pat Buttram's performance was so...sincerely demented. Swear to god, it was an EC comic come to life. Good call.

CORRECTION: It was the ninth season of Presents (1963)..(tho it was the second season of the hour long eps). But, yeah, it was one of the best things ever produced for tv...I would buy the ninth season dvd set in a hearbeat, just for that one episode.

Kinsayder

#28 Post by Kinsayder » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:46 am

denti alligator wrote:Anyone know how I can get a hold of the Suspicion episode "Four O'Clock," The Hitchcock Hour episode "I Saw the Whole Thing," and the Ford Startime episode "Incident on a Corner" without having to shell out for this, which looks to be out of print anyway.
The set is currently available at Mediadis for 24.99 Euros (about half the Amazon & Alapage prices). The transfers are good and the French subs are menu-removable.

denti alligator

#29 Post by denti alligator » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:31 pm

Kinsayder wrote:The set is currently available at Mediadis for 24.99 Euros (about half the Amazon & Alapage prices). The transfers are good and the French subs are menu-removable.
I've tried ordering this three times (with two different credit cards) and have been "refused" each time on the grounds that my credit card has been declined. My cards are fine, of course. Do they simply not want to admit that they don't have this item for sale?

Kinsayder

#30 Post by Kinsayder » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:11 pm

I bought the set from them myself and received it last week. Have you tried phoning your credit card company? They may have a log of why the payment was refused.

denti alligator

#31 Post by denti alligator » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:23 pm

My credit card co. says the charge has been approved. Emails to Mediadis are returned to me as undeliverable. What's the deal with this place?

dx23

#32 Post by dx23 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:57 am

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season Three - $39.98 SRP – The Master of Suspense returns with all 39 Emmy-nominated Season Three episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Filled with tales of murder, madness, intrigue and suspense, this unforgettable series was renowned for its riveting storytelling and compelling characters.

Episodes are spread across five-discs presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English DD2.0 Mono audio and English SDH subtitles.

tryavna

#33 Post by tryavna » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:08 pm

dx23 wrote:with all 39 Emmy-nominated Season Three episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Every single one of those 39 episodes was nominated for an Emmy?

I assume that's just a misplaced modifier.

denti alligator

#34 Post by denti alligator » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:51 am

Almost a year later and no season four? I hope Universal isn't giving up on these.

esl

Alfred Hitchcock Presents

#35 Post by esl » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:21 am

I too hope that Universal has not given up on Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I was looking forward to season 4 this October. Here it is now November and no word of even a future date. It would be a shame if they stopped releasing any more seasons. I just shake my head when I see what awful TV shows have had all their seasons released on DVD yet further releases of Alfred Hitchcock Presents appear to be over.
denti alligator wrote:My credit card co. says the charge has been approved. Emails to Mediadis are returned to me as undeliverable. What's the deal with this place?
denti alligator, I had a similar problem with amazon japan. After ordering many times with them one day they up and say that my credit card charge has been declined yet my card company says it was approved. I tried ordering other things several more times over the following months from them and the same thing happend.

Gregory

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents

#36 Post by Gregory » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:29 am

No official announcement yet, but a new insert ad from Universal shows a box cover for Season Four! source

dx23

#37 Post by dx23 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:21 pm

I was looking for this thread and forgot that it was moved here. I think it will be released around Halloween, like Universal has done in the past.

Gregory

#38 Post by Gregory » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Shame to have to wait that long. Do people watch this show especially at Halloween? The majority of it is suspense/crime rather than horror.

manicsounds

#39 Post by manicsounds » Fri May 15, 2009 10:47 pm

I purchased the UK "Hitchcock Presents", which has no subtitles, and no featurette like the US version. Does anybody know if that is the same as the other seasons in the UK? Are there subtitles or extras?

Highway 61

#40 Post by Highway 61 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:08 am

Maybe this is old news, but I just discovered that the first four seasons of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and the first three of the Alfred Hitchcock Hour are available on Hulu. Hopefully later seasons will be added eventually.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#41 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Apparently Madman released Season Five in May and will be releasing Season Six in November, in packaging matching up exactly with the American Universal releases-- why is Australia getting these while we aren't?

Cash Flagg

#42 Post by Cash Flagg » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:38 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:45 pm

Universal to Alfred Hitchcock Fans: "Fuck Y'all" -- Season Six to be MOD release only

Madman in Australia has released season six and seven on pressed discs AND the Alfred Hitchcock Hour Season 1-3 :shock: Surely there's a cheaper shopping alternative than direct from Madman, though, rite?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#44 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:56 pm

For those who only want the Hitch-directed episodes, Australia also now has a three disc set with all of Hitchcock's episodes from Presents and Hour plus Incident at a Corner from Ford Startime

Jonathan S

#45 Post by Jonathan S » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:09 am

Unfortunately, if the listing is correct, that set omits the essential Suspicion episode Four O'Clock which Universal included in their similar French DVD set in 2006. Together with Breakdown (which has points of similarity), I think it's the best TV work Hitchcock ever did.

According to the Hitchcock Wiki, Four O'Clock is also in this German (Koch) set which contains many, but not all, of the other Hitchcock-directed episodes.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:30 pm

Just found out that DVDPlanet carries the three R4 Alfred Hitchcock Hour sets for ~$36 each, though only the first season is in stock right now-- definitely the cheapest option for American customers

manicsounds

#47 Post by manicsounds » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:06 am

DeepDiscount/DVDPlanet have been carrying the Australian import Hitchcock Hour/Hitchcock Presents DVD sets for a few years now.

Gregory

#48 Post by Gregory » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:01 pm

Can you link Alfred Hitchcock Presents Seasons 6 and 7 please? I can't find them on either site.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#49 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:29 am

Madman is having a Hitchcock sale (through the 16th), so now's the time to pick up Seasons 6 and 7 of Presents and Sets 1-3 of Hour (No longer being sold on DVDPlanet) for 40% off! -- Finally was able to pick up season six and seven for a very reasonable $51 US shipped! Now, the real question is when I'll have time to watch more than an episode or two from all ten seasons of this

manicsounds

Re: Alfred Hitchcock

#50 Post by manicsounds » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:36 pm

Fabulous Films DVD released "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" the complete set or individual seasons in the UK, and in January will release "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" the complete set and individual seasons.