Rough House Pictures (Jody Hill, Danny McBride, et al.)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Forrest Taft

Re: Vice Principals

#51 Post by Forrest Taft » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:06 pm

I see. I even had the subtitles on when I watched the trailer, so I was slightly confused.

flyonthewall2983

#52 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Anybody watching S2? I've only seen the first two and despite liking them I'm a bit behind. Just wondering if it's worth catching up.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#53 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:14 pm

It was shot in tandem with Season 1, so it's got the same tone and quality. I don't know why you'd stop now if you've liked what's led up to it. It was always envisioned to be an 18 episode series split over two seasons.

I still think it's the most exciting, darkly hilarious thing on television.

Murdoch

#54 Post by Murdoch » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Nuclear take: Vice Principals is a better show than Game of Thrones
At this point in time, yes.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#55 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:59 pm

Walton Goggins is so good in this that if there were any justice, he’d have won an Emmy for the first season and would be a shoo-in for the second already, but I get the impression that hardly anyone watches this, let alone awards voters, so. C’est la vie.

pzadvance

#56 Post by pzadvance » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:22 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Walton Goggins is so good in this that if there were any justice, he’d have won an Emmy for the first season and would be a shoo-in for the second already, but I get the impression that hardly anyone watches this, let alone awards voters, so. C’est la vie.
also working against him is the fact that it's the kind of performance you forget is as good as it is because he so thoroughly embodies the character. I have to actively remind myself of his other work to sometimes truly appreciate how excellent he is here

cantinflas

#57 Post by cantinflas » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:39 pm

His performance in the latest episode Think Change (S02E04) alone is awards worthy. The ending is one of the most deeply and darkly cathartic things put on screen. I think most of my favourite moments have been Russell's interactions with his family, especially the way Christine treats him so lovingly but with such complete awareness.

Absolutely love this show and I'm constantly surprised by how far they delve into the psychology of power and trauma.

Andre Jurieu

#58 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:12 pm

cantinflas wrote:I think most of my favourite moments have been Russell's interactions with his family...
Oddly, I find tremendous satisfaction whenever Neal & Ray interact. I enjoy how calmly and fairly Ray treats Neal despite the normally antagonistic nature of that type of dynamic in the aftermath of a failed marriage. Somehow I never question the fact that Neal & Ray are friends.

cantinflas

#59 Post by cantinflas » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:09 am

Andre Jurieu wrote:
cantinflas wrote:I think most of my favourite moments have been Russell's interactions with his family...
Oddly, I find tremendous satisfaction whenever Neal & Ray interact. I enjoy how calmly and fairly Ray treats Neal despite the normally antagonistic nature of that type of dynamic in the aftermath of a failed marriage. Somehow I never question the fact that Neal & Ray are friends.
That's great too. I'm pretty sure there's been a switch from Gamby having hostility towards both Gale and Ray, to now where he's still fighting with Gale but sees Ray as a friend and an ally. My memory fails me as to whether there was a specific moment but I'd like to think it was Ray's fairness and sincerity that contributed to some growth in Neal.

Mr Sausage

#60 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm only two episodes into season two, but I'm pretty sure
SpoilerShow
that crazy teacher with the crush on Gambey shot him. She had long black hair, like the shooter was described as having, and the premiere made a point of highlighting that she had recently cut her hair.

Let's see if my theory pans out.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#61 Post by cdnchris » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:44 pm

I have the same suspicion, also only two episodes in. Actually debating on letting season play out before I watch the rest...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: TV of 2014

#62 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:46 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
swo17 wrote:It's not much, but from this article last year:
Hill and McBride created Eastbound with Best (who appeared in the first two seasons as the charming weirdo Clegg, a spray-paint-huffing bartender/drug-dealer), but no longer work with him. When asked why, they provide a polite “No comment.”
Yeah, it's very strange that there's quite literally no information about what happened with Best - you'd think that even if there was just a falling out with Hill and McBride, he'd be getting work elsewhere. Hope everything's okay with him.
In case anyone was wondering about this, from Reddit a month ago (spoiler-tagging because a) it's essentially hearsay despite the level of detail and b) it's really long, but anything's better than linking to Reddit):
SpoilerShow
Where is Ben Best?

North Carolina.

What happened to him?

Drugs.

Those are the simple answers. Keep reading for the full, long, sad answer.

First, I am not Ben Best. I am currently employed in the film/television industry in Georgia and met Ben over 17 years ago. I'd say that I've been friends with Ben for 17+ years, but Ben doesn't have friends. Ben is all alone in the world and that's exactly how he wants it. Unless you have some blow or some pills. Then he'll hang out and talk about some dumb, half-idea of a movie that he has.

I joined reddit today after finding this thread last night. I thought about saying nothing and letting everyone keep assuming that Ben is kicking back enjoying a self-imposed retirement from the entertainment industry, but things need to be set straight. Maybe Ben will read this and come to terms with his shitty, self-absorbed, drug addict behavior.

Here we go...

The "overnight success" story of "The Foot Fist Way" is well documented, so I won't go into too much detail. The low-budget comedy was seen by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay after it premiered at Sundance in 2006 and the wild ride began. Jody, Danny, and Ben were poised to become the hot new "terrible trio" of crude humor. While Ben does like writing scripts and acting in movies and tv shows and recording music and playing guitar a lot, he likes drugs more. He likes pills and cocaine and pot and acid and shrooms and MDMA and getting drunk. Jody and Danny were fans of drugs and drinking, too. They were just smart enough to know that there was a time and a place to get all *%&#ed up. A meeting with important Hollywood producers and directors? NOT a good time to be on drugs or hungover from a 3-day bender. Once money started coming in from selling scripts and acting in crap like being the "Cab Driver" in "What Happens in Vegas", Ben's intake of drugs increased.

Keep in mind, Ben remained in Charlotte, NC while Danny and Jody were out in Los Angeles getting stuff done. Ben is from High Point, NC. Here's a 2008 article from his hometown newspaper...

http://www.greensboro.com/news/high-poi ... 923ec.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remaining in Charlotte, playing in local bands (Sea of Cortez and Pyramid) and flying out to L.A. or NYC to have meetings every now and then, was perfect. Ben enjoyed the attention heaped on him when he'd walk into a bar. And, the Charlotte drug dealers appreciated the huge increase in business from the new star.

Ben was always out drinking in bars and maybe hooking up with drunk girls and doing blow in the bathroom. No steady girlfriend. Lived in a house with some other musicians and old friends. How he managed to get any writing done is a mystery. For the first season of "Eastbound & Down", he just moved his drinking and drugging to Wilmington, NC.

Here's a glimpse of what it was like on set with Ben and the gang in 2008...

http://www.slashfilm.com/exclusive-set- ... a-gershon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Every time I saw Ben out in public, he was the life of the party. Exactly like Clegg or Chuck the Truck. Cocky and cool. Surrounded by people cracking up at everything he said. Drinking anything and everything. And ducking away to the bathroom every 30 minutes to do some blow. I started hearing rumors that he was having trouble concentrating at meetings, showing up late, and becoming difficult. The first season wrapped up. And then everyone went over to Ireland to film "Your Highness". Everyone except Ben.

Ben made some lame excuses about why he didn't go, but this was the beginning of the end. Danny and Ben had been writing it on and off for quite some time, so his name remained attached. He was excluded from the film's production because he was a full-blown, unpredictable, constantly high/drunk/hungover party dude.

Back in 2011/2012, it seemed like Ben could pull himself out of the hole. Several old and new friends and family expressed concern. He was hitting the bars in Charlotte every night still riding on his fame from a few years before. I'd see him and he'd talk about buying all sorts of brand new music equipment and mention projects that he was "working on". It became clear to many that he was full of shit. I recall hearing rumors of an intervention that didn't work. Most of his musician and film school friends were done with him. His family was embarrassed by him. He was hanging out with shady coke dealers and new "fan friends".

I saw Ben a few weeks ago at a bar in Charlotte. Summer 2017. Drunk. Sad, bloodshot eyes. He looks like shit. He's unmarried, broke, and a father. A has-been star that let it all slip away. I speak to some of the people that have known him since the early days of film school or might have been in a band with him and they all say that they don't even talk to him anymore. If they see him in a store, they'll be nice and make small talk, but everyone is tired of drug addict Ben. So many friends have visited him at home or written letters or emails or texts trying to say the same thing - "We care about you and want you to get help and be happy". Ben doesn't care. He's cool. All good.

Here's his facebook page -
[link to Facebook page redacted]

You are most likely to find Ben hanging out at one of the following Charlotte, NC bars - [redacted] Ask the bartender if he's been around and they'll probably say he just left. If you see Ben, don't buy or give him any drugs or alcohol. Ask him what he's doing with his life and what he thinks of "Vice Principals".
Mr Sausage wrote:I'm only two episodes into season two, but I'm pretty sure
SpoilerShow
that crazy teacher with the crush on Gambey shot him. She had long black hair, like the shooter was described as having, and the premiere made a point of highlighting that she had recently cut her hair.

Let's see if my theory pans out.
SpoilerShow
Good theory, especially since the writers seemed to predict that everyone would immediately assume that Russell did it (I still would put my money there) and had their smartest character lay out how obvious it is that he was the one. Assuming they probably wouldn't have done that if it was actually Russell.

Mr Sausage

#63 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Alternate theory:
SpoilerShow
Lee's soon-to-be-ex wife.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#64 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:11 pm

I will miss this show terribly. It ended on a bit too much of a wacky note for my taste (could have done without the deus ex machina that was devised for the finale, even though it was handled humorously for the most part), but Walton Goggins and Danny McBride (and the stellar supporting cast) really gave this their all, making it perhaps the most enjoyable 9 hours you can spend watching television in the last few years. Apparently the same creative team (including Jody Hill and David Gordon Green) are working on another short series for HBO at the moment, and it's really a format that suits their unusual style, so bring it on, as far as I'm concerned. Also, an underrated aspect of this show that makes me hope that enough people in high places saw it and get to casting right away: The women in this show (particularly the relative unknowns) are all totally excellent in their roles - Kimberly Hebert Gregory, of course, but also Edi Patterson, Georgia King, and Susan Park - who all have breakout moments in what is a totally bizarre little series that should, if there's any justice, launch a whole lot of careers.

Quot

#65 Post by Quot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:58 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:The women in this show (particularly the relative unknowns) are all totally excellent in their roles - Kimberly Hebert Gregory, of course, but also Edi Patterson, Georgia King, and Susan Park - who all have breakout moments in what is a totally bizarre little series that should, if there's any justice, launch a whole lot of careers.
Robin Bartlett was pretty memorable too.

I started watching this show because of your posts (and others) way back in the first season, and it turned out to be everything you said and more. It goes to great lengths to (sometines painfully) redeem its protagonists, in particular in this finale, with two terrific scenes - when Gamby gives credit to the student that he had kicked out, and Lee's awkward meeting with Mrs. Brown on her turf. As a whole, the series was packed with such scenes. Thank you for pushing this show so hard.

flyonthewall2983

#66 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 pm

Finally came around to finishing season 2.
vague, but maybe not directly spoiler-yShow
I was hoping for an ending where everything is in chaos, because I think the first season worked best in those moments where you really didn't see things coming (which weren't lacking much on the back end either, but with diminishing returns to a degree). Gradually there were moments of that chaos that played out during the season (the birthday party and spring break episodes certainly), but with much more pathos and drama behind it. It's not as bad as some Judd Apatow (who's worked with Green before) movies which arguably stick on after-school special endings to R-rated sex comedies, but maybe I was hoping for a more satirical than emotional landing. I was at least hoping to see Bill Murray's character by the end.

flyonthewall2983

Re: TV of 2019

#67 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:45 pm

I'm hearing good things about The Righteous Gemstones, anyone catch the premiere last night?

Roger Ryan

#68 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:18 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:45 pm
I'm hearing good things about The Righteous Gemstones, anyone catch the premiere last night?
It looked great (art direction, cinematography) and had some strong laughs, but the hour-long format seems like a poor fit. Despite its broad approach, I got the feeling the show may eventually aspire to the blend of comedy and drama that Barry does so well in 30 min. installments.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Eastbound & Down / Vice Principals / The Righteous Gemstones

#69 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Thought the first episode of The Righteous Gemstones was just as good as expected considering the pedigree involved, even if the first 20 minutes or so was a little too... introductory. There's definitely more room for jokes to breathe, which can be a good and bad thing, but I'm glad to spend as much time with a McBride creation as possible. Watching the second episode tonight and couldn't be more excited. Edi Patterson got the best lines in the pilot, and I'd expect that to continue, she is almost impossibly funny.

Andre Jurieu

#70 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:44 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:18 pm
... but the hour-long format seems like a poor fit.
Looks like that was just the premiere. The 2nd episode was only 30 mins as they have to squeeze in the last season of Ballers alongside this comedy. I assume that all the remaining episodes will be around 30 mins, though HBO tends to allow season finales to have as much time as they need (which always screws up my PVR).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#71 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:30 pm

Actually thought the second episode was a little lacking as a result - was John Goodman in, what, like 3 seconds of it? - and I would've loved to see the hour long format stick around. But of course, the plot has finally finished shifting into place, so the rest of the season should be a hoot.

flyonthewall2983

#72 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:32 pm

So the first episode was an hour, and the rest will be shorter?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#73 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:41 pm

Episode 1 was 62 minutes, Episode 2 was 33 minutes. Presumably the rest will be closer to Episode 2.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Danny McBride's Residency at HBO

#74 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:17 am

Walton Goggins as a Ric Flair-lookalike preacher was (mostly) glorious to see.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Danny McBride's Residency at HBO

#75 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:44 am

How materially different is this from what McBride did in (the excellent) Don Verdean?