Westworld

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Mr Sausage

Re: Westworld

#26 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon May 20, 2019 9:55 am

Roscoe wrote:Forgive me -- these old eyes couldn't quite make out who it is that Paul meets in the final seconds of the trailer. Can someone identify her?
Evan Rachel Wood’s character.

Lost Highway

#27 Post by Lost Highway » Mon May 20, 2019 9:59 am

Roscoe wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:49 am
Forgive me -- these old eyes couldn't quite make out who it is that Paul meets in the final seconds of the trailer. Can someone identify her?
It’s Evan Rachel Wood’s Dolores.

Roscoe

#28 Post by Roscoe » Mon May 20, 2019 9:59 am

Many thanks.

aox

#29 Post by aox » Mon May 20, 2019 10:06 am

Looks fantastic.

Luke M

#30 Post by Luke M » Mon May 20, 2019 4:08 pm

I know a trailer is just a trailer but
SpoilerShow
Didn't last season end with Dolores essentially uploading herself into Tessa Thompson's character's body?

greggster59

#31 Post by greggster59 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:21 pm

Luke M wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:08 pm
I know a trailer is just a trailer but
SpoilerShow
Didn't last season end with Dolores essentially uploading herself into Tessa Thompson's character's body?
SpoilerShow
Ford left a host printer at Arnold's house and she is able to create bodies in the real world. In fact, I think she may have recreated her own body at the end of the Season 2 finale but I'm not certain.

Mr Sausage

#32 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon May 20, 2019 4:44 pm

SpoilerShow
Yep, at the end of season 2 she’d recreated not just her own body, but Arnold’s as well.

Luke M

#33 Post by Luke M » Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 am

Ah, thanks for the clarification!

flyonthewall2983

#34 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:07 pm

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#35 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:20 pm

Roscoe

#36 Post by Roscoe » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:35 pm

Damn. No sign of James Marsden. A quick Google search led me to believe there may be hope.

R0lf

#37 Post by R0lf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:54 pm

Roscoe wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:35 pm
Damn. No sign of James Marsden. A quick Google search led me to believe there may be hope.
SpoilerShow
Previous trailer had what looked like a sex scene between ERW and Tessa Thompson so chances are Teddy’s core ended up in Charlotte’s body?

Roscoe

#38 Post by Roscoe » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:48 am

R0lf wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:54 pm
Roscoe wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:35 pm
SpoilerShow
Previous trailer had what looked like a sex scene between ERW and Tessa Thompson so chances are Teddy’s core ended up in Charlotte’s body?
SpoilerShow
I hope not. It would be most disappointing, if all too typical, of WESTWORLD to make a gay sex scene into a heterosexual sex scene by doing that.

Mr Sausage

#39 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:11 am

SpoilerShow
Wouldn't it technically be a transgender sex scene?

Roscoe

#40 Post by Roscoe » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:51 am

Mr Sausage wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:11 am
SpoilerShow
Wouldn't it technically be a transgender sex scene?
SpoilerShow
Point taken, I guess. Bottom line is that I'd much rather it was James Marsden.

flyonthewall2983

#41 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:18 pm

I liked the first episode. Aaron Paul's character is a breath of fresh air, as is pretty much everything else about the setting for this season. If they can untie some of the Gordian knots they got into last season, then it might really save the show. I hope it does.

flyonthewall2983

#42 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:30 pm

So far season 3 is less clunky and confusing than 2, though I didn't think that was entirely so bad either. This is in a few ways, a very frustrating show to follow but it somehow still feels rewarding. The change of scenery and the addition of a few top-level actors have helped.

The show was renewed for S4 last week. The way things are right now, I can't imagine it making our screens as early as late 2022.

flyonthewall2983

#43 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue May 10, 2022 3:10 am

therewillbeblus

#44 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:46 pm

It's been cancelled by HBO, won't be renewed for planned fifth and final season

Mr Sausage

#45 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:39 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:46 pm
I assumed season four was the planned final season, it left itself so little room to go anywhere else. I'm not sad it's canceled; the last two seasons were very bad--just poorly handled and planned out. It also had the annoying habit of taking all its complex and legitimately interesting characters and turning them into dull, simple, and sometimes pointless versions of themselves in subsequent seasons.

Kracker

#46 Post by Kracker » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:41 pm

Well, thats disappointing. Season 4 does serve as an ending but its a rather bleak one. Shame the series wont be able to end on a more hopeful note.

Mr Sausage

#47 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:44 pm

You didn't think the final shots of Dolores in the cloud (essentially) were meant to be read as hopeful, a new beginning for who were saved? That's how I took it.

therewillbeblus

#48 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:30 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:39 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
I assumed season four was the planned final season, it left itself so little room to go anywhere else. I'm not sad it's canceled; the last two seasons were very bad--just poorly handled and planned out.
That's what I've heard from critic and audience reactions, but apparently the creators wanted to tie things up with a fifth. Personally I never liked the show- the first season was promising but the writing was lackluster and the twists and turns either predictable or hackneyed or disinteresting. I think I stopped watching after a few episodes into the third, but I can't say I was ever on board, and in the few occasions I was, it only led to disappointment in both narrative and character development. But I'm generally pretty critical of the overstated acclaim for HBO et al programming that tends to dress up lame writing and ideas with lavish production design and strong actors and sell it as High Art based on the brand.. Westworld felt like one of the more creative attempts of late though

Kracker

#49 Post by Kracker » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:21 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:44 pm
You didn't think the final shots of Dolores in the cloud (essentially) were meant to be read as hopeful, a new beginning for who were saved? That's how I took it.
with our other protagonists dead and humanity doomed outside, not very hopeful. Not to mention the server cloud not being able to run truly indefinitely without maintenance. Like i said, its an ending, just a bleak one for a bleak show. Would have been interesting to see them turn that around into something actually optimistic.

Mr Sausage

#50 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:28 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:30 pm
Mr Sausage wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:39 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
I assumed season four was the planned final season, it left itself so little room to go anywhere else. I'm not sad it's canceled; the last two seasons were very bad--just poorly handled and planned out.
That's what I've heard from critic and audience reactions, but apparently the creators wanted to tie things up with a fifth. Personally I never liked the show- the first season was promising but the writing was lackluster and the twists and turns either predictable or hackneyed or disinteresting. I think I stopped watching after a few episodes into the third, but I can't say I was ever on board, and in the few occasions I was, it only led to disappointment in both narrative and character development. But I'm generally pretty critical of the overstated acclaim for HBO et al programming that tends to dress up lame writing and ideas with lavish production design and strong actors and sell it as High Art based on the brand.. Westworld felt like one of the more creative attempts of late though
I really enjoyed season 1. It was good fun and had interesting characters it wasn't afraid to treat complexly.

Season 2 was good, but it didn't really expand on the themes of season 1, it just over-complicated the telling of them. Which is fine in general, but didn't do much to increase my enjoyment here since it just made the same things harder to follow.

Season 3, tho', put all its (limited) creativity into its world building and left none for its story and characters. I suspect the episode you peaced out on was the same one that made my wife and I quit the season for a month and only begrudgingly go back to finish. It was the one where we realized the elaborate and tantalizing set up was just another big-evil-computer story with a mad scientist baddie trying to control the world because trauma--a giant boring cliche. The rest of the season was limp and silly, its characters bled of any interesting traits they once had. The creators clearly had no idea what to do with Thandiwe Newton's character, opting for a sentimental cliche where a female character is reduced to a set of contrived motherly-instinct motivations centring on a kid that's technically neither their's nor real (see also: Doctor Strange 2). It then reduced Dolores from a complex anti-hero to merely a simple saviour figure. Much of the plot hinged on various characters making irrational, child-like decisions at odds with both common sense and the putative complexity of their characters and world. My wife and I still sometimes complain to each other about how much it sucked.

Season 4 was...better. Still bad, tho'. A lot of the same problems with weak characterization, convenient plotting meant to help a baggy plot lumber forward, interesting ideas taken to their most predictable conclusions. But it had some good episodes here and there, the occasional interesting idea or image. The ending was lame, but worked as a definitive close to the series.