flyonthewall2983

Re: TV of 2018

#51 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:51 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Here And Now
...and gone

thirtyframesasecond

#52 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed May 02, 2018 8:29 am

jazzo wrote:Not sure if it's because I was quite taken with the source novel, but two episodes into the AMC adaptation of Dan Simmon's historical horror, THE TERROR, and I'm kind-of loving it. Hopefully I'll have more to say when it's done, but so far, it carries all the menace of the novel, and we've barely touched upon the supernatural, instead hovering around the claustrophobic doom of the ice-bound Franklin expedition, itself.

Plus, y'know, Ciarán Hinds and Jared Harris always add a touch of class to their projects.
I can't get it over in the UK as ABC isn't on Sky (BT has it) but I do want to watch this. I assume it'll be for sale on Amazon once broadcast.

I've watched a couple of episodes of the Crossing, which is on Amazon Prime in the UK. It's going for that Lost-vibe. Steve Zahn's a small town sheriff and loads of refugees are washed up on the shore. I'd tell you what their story is, but imagine the most ludicrous thing it could be, and you're probably more or less right.

Lost Highway

#53 Post by Lost Highway » Wed May 02, 2018 8:46 am

I watched The Terror on Amazon, here it comes with Amazon Prime. It's pretty good but not great. Production values and acting are excellent, but it's a little drawn out and its supernatural menace is
SpoilerShow
a rather disappointing CG monster which never looks quite right in design or execution.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#55 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:55 am

Network TV never felt like a super correct place for progressive television comedies to begin with, but especially not when everything is so spread around in 2018. The ABCs and FOXes of the world should be airing the Tim Allen and Roseanne shows, there are plenty of more relevant, relaxed places for shows that push the envelope a bit with regard to casting and plot. Especially with dramas - I would absolutely be watching that Christina Hendricks show if it were on premium cable or streaming, to name one example.

flyonthewall2983

#56 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Aren't Roseanne's ratings not doing too well though?

Murdoch

#57 Post by Murdoch » Fri May 11, 2018 7:40 pm

They've steadied but still hold strong among 18 to 49 year olds.

As an aside, I've always been confused over how TV ratings work, even after reading about it multiple times (it's something I nod along to then immediately forget about after). Like Roseanne is supposedly No. 1 with 18-49 year-olds, but as a 30 year-old I couldn't tell you the last time I even watched a network comedy and I don't know anyone who has. Obviously that is highly anecdotal but is anyone really watching network comedies anymore?

Werewolf by Night

TV of 2018

#58 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri May 11, 2018 8:28 pm

Murdoch wrote:is anyone really watching network comedies anymore?
In short, no. The rating number itself is a willfully obscure figure that just represents fraction of the total number of television viewers at that hour viewing a given show. The actual number of live viewers or the average number of live viewers is more instructive (the latter of which in Roseanne’s case is currently 10.2 million). Nielsen estimates 304.5 million people above the age of 2 living in the U.S. in households with a television, which means that about 294.3 million of those people are choosing NOT to watch Roseanne. They are watching something else at that time or not watching TV at all. Really puts things into perspective, no? Even for its much vaunted premiere, fewer than 1 in 10 of these 304.5 million people tuned in (even when you generously include viewers who recorded it and watched it up to 7 days later).

Murdoch

#59 Post by Murdoch » Sat May 12, 2018 11:03 am

That puts things into perspective, thanks for the explanation!

Big Ben

Re: Netflix Originals

#61 Post by Big Ben » Tue May 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Hoo boy I have high hopes for this one.

flyonthewall2983

#62 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Yeah, there's not much chance to screw this up given the pedigree of all involved. Plus, as someone who enjoys sports documentaries more than the sports themselves you cannot go wrong with 80's or 90's NBA for a riveting story.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#63 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu May 24, 2018 8:39 pm

Lost Highway

#64 Post by Lost Highway » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:22 am

Watched Lynn Shelton's Outside In last evening which I liked a lot. Edie Falco deserves some awards recognition for this.

thirtyframesasecond

#65 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:39 pm

S4 of the Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt just released - just six episodes. Still good though, lots of Trump/MeToo refs.

Dr Amicus

#66 Post by Dr Amicus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:22 pm

The recent BBC adaptation of A Very English Scandal about the Jeremy Thorpe / Norman Scott / Rinkagate affair turned out to be an absolute delight, one of the highlights of the year so far. The screenplay by Russell T Davies was one of his best, Stephen Frears's direction recalled his classy handling of Bennett's work back in the 1970s and the performances - Hugh Grant in something like career best form as Thorpe, Ben Whishaw as Scott, and many other fine character actors doing their thing - were wonderful, Grant in particular must be an early favourite for the BAFTA next year.

For those unaware of the events - and the series seems to have been popular with those who remember it and those for whom this is a total revelation - follows the fallout of the affair in the 1960s between Thorpe (a leading Liberal MP and later leader of the party) and Scott as it reaches levels of "surely not" farce (e.g. - the Barnstaple / Dunstable moment) and also, at times, is rather moving. It's notable that two of the moments which could easily have turned into "Author's Message" moments emerge from seemingly comic characters - David Bamber's Earl of Arran in the first episode and Adrian Scarborough's George Carman in the third.

Werewolf by Night

#67 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 pm

Premieres on Amazon Prime in the US on June 29.

felipe

#68 Post by felipe » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:49 am

Werewolf by Night wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:28 pm
Murdoch wrote:is anyone really watching network comedies anymore?
In short, no. The rating number itself is a willfully obscure figure that just represents fraction of the total number of television viewers at that hour viewing a given show. The actual number of live viewers or the average number of live viewers is more instructive (the latter of which in Roseanne’s case is currently 10.2 million). Nielsen estimates 304.5 million people above the age of 2 living in the U.S. in households with a television, which means that about 294.3 million of those people are choosing NOT to watch Roseanne. They are watching something else at that time or not watching TV at all. Really puts things into perspective, no? Even for its much vaunted premiere, fewer than 1 in 10 of these 304.5 million people tuned in (even when you generously include viewers who recorded it and watched it up to 7 days later).
But do these numbers actually add up? Even if we're talking pre-streaming, you put together viewership from every network combined and how much have you got? 40 million people? So only 15% of Americans are watching TV during primetime?

knives

#69 Post by knives » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:24 pm

That actually sounds pretty realistic. Many people don't have television and even of those that do there is a large contingent doing other stuff at that time. It wouldn't surprise me if the number one television watchers are retirees or sports fans.

felipe

#70 Post by felipe » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:25 pm

knives wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:24 pm
That actually sounds pretty realistic. Many people don't have television and even of those that do there is a large contingent doing other stuff at that time. It wouldn't surprise me if the number one television watchers are retirees or sports fans.
Really? I thought it was quite unusual for an American not to have a TV. I'm from Brazil, and everyone here who owns a TV turns it on at least once a day, even if it's just when they get home after work or right before they go to bed (of course nowadays many people use the TV to watch Netflix or Youtube instead)

Werewolf by Night

TV of 2018

#71 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 pm

I don’t have the time or inclination right now to get too deep into this, but the four major broadcast networks averaged a total of about 31 million viewers during the 2017-2018 season, the vast majority of those viewers being 50 or older.

Then there are the hundreds of cable and satellite networks, the biggest of which (Fox News, MSNBC, TNT, TBS, HGTV, ESPN, CNN, et al) each pull in about 1-2.4 million viewers during prime time. But probably only about a third of TV-owning households (fewer than 100 million) in the US have cable or satellite service.

Speaking anecdotally, I work with many people who don’t own televisions or who own televisions but only stream movies and TV programs or watch physical media. In fact, the only person I know with a premium cable package is well over 50 and does not work (she lets me use her HBO Go login), but even she watches most of her programming via the on-demand service of the cable company.

felipe

#72 Post by felipe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:03 am

Werewolf by Night wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 pm
Speaking anecdotally, I work with many people who don’t own televisions or who own televisions but only stream movies and TV programs or watch physical media.
And why do those people not own TV sets? Are they hipsters, they can't afford it, they live in college dorms, or are they simply against it?

Murdoch

#73 Post by Murdoch » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:25 am

And why do those people not own TV sets? Are they hipsters, they can't afford it, they live in college dorms, or are they simply against it?
I don't own a TV. I do all my watching on a rather large (40") computer monitor, since my Blu-ray player is in my desktop and I otherwise just stream.

Werewolf by Night

TV of 2018

#74 Post by Werewolf by Night » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:44 pm

You don’t have to be a hipster, poor, or “against TV” not to own one. You just have to not care about it, which seems pretty easy to do these days.