TV of 2018

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Big Ben

Re: TV of 2018

#26 Post by Big Ben » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:20 pm

Currently waiting for the Law and Order resurgence. SVU is still on but nothing is stopping the original from coming back.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:30 pm

So long as they brought Rene Balcer back to showrun-- it's markedly noticeable how much better the flagship and Criminal Intent were when he was at the helm

Ribs

#28 Post by Ribs » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Big Ben wrote:Currently waiting for the Law and Order resurgence. SVU is still on but nothing is stopping the original from coming back.
Nobody cared about Law & Order: True Crime, so I expect that's out of the question for the moment.

It's funny that this has transpired deep in the thickets of pilot season so we won't be suddenly getting a ton of reboots in September, but it's basically certain that by this time next year we'll be seeing new versions of 30 Rock, the Office, ER, 24 (for the third time!), Mad about You, the West Wing, and somehow maybe even Seinfeld (Jerry said they're considering it!) somewhere in the process of development. And those are just the titles that execs have publicly floated!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:35 pm

John Krasinski even just said he thinks the Office should come back for a Christmas special

Ribs

#30 Post by Ribs » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:40 pm

If the Simpsons ever ends they'd just bring it back probably, huh

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#31 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:42 pm

There hasn't been any full-throated demand for new Simpsons since the late 90s, there's no way that would get good enough ratings to justify it until the entire voice cast is long dead, and even then there'll be around 20 seasons of the show that hardly anyone has seen that they could start with

Futurama, on the other hand, feels like the kind of thing that will come back in fits and starts every few years for a little while.

Ribs

#32 Post by Ribs » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:44 pm

They are literally bringing back 24 for the third time in four years though - plus if it ended and then two years later it came back with, like, a totally different creative team, they could very easily bill it as a full revival of the classic spirit. "We brought back the real Simpsons!" Not that its viewership is anywhere near a point where Fox would cancel it even once it comes up in Season 31.

I love the idea of Futurama, for the fifth time, having to create a "this is the final moment of the show" moment after the end of Season 4, the TV movies, Season 6, and Season 8.

Big Ben

#33 Post by Big Ben » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:49 pm

mfunk9786 wrote: Futurama, on the other hand, feels like the kind of thing that will come back in fits and starts every few years for a little while.
This is actually a very interesting case. I watched a live table read some time ago (Late last year.) and the remarkable thing was the unanimous agreement among the voice actors, Matt Groening and David Cohen that the show should indeed come back. The issue was was that no one would order any more episodes at the time and that the only thing currently in the pipeline was a Mobile Game. It was really refreshing to see the enthusiasm among the cast but it's just one of those things that's very much reliant on the Executive Side do finally do something. I love the show warts and all and would be there day one.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#34 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:51 pm

Futurama was never on a run where every episode was a home run, and each time it's returned there's been some high points to go along with the low, so as long as they keep batting at least .250, it seems worthwhile to add a few great episodes to the heap. My favorite episode of the series, "The Late Philip J. Fry," didn't come until the first batch of rebooted episodes, if I remember correctly.

Whereas with The Simpsons... well. It's been discussed to death, but. Yeah.

Ribs

#35 Post by Ribs » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:55 pm

I have this honest belief it would be possible, suddenly, for the Simpsons to be good again! Or at least, rebooted-Futurama-level good (so, mostly alright, sometimes great). But I just feel like Al Jean and whoever really crippled the show by sticking with it for just so long. Almost every other TV show to have ever existed switches showrunners every three years! I know he's had a somewhat reduced role. But, anyway, that's besides the point: I was more thinking that, had they ended the Simpsons at Season 25 or something we'd probably already be on a track of the upcoming Simpsons reboot. I'm actually somewhat intrigued by a lot of these reboot ideas, as it does strike me as a unique thing network TV can do to combat streaming and cable.

Big Ben

#36 Post by Big Ben » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:00 pm

I had a very strict parent that wouldn't let me watch The Simpsons when I was younger so it wasn't ever really much of my life. I can say with certainty that the episodes I saw as an adult have been pretty awful. One in particular involving Werner Herzog was downright apalling. People's eyes just fall out of their heads mid episode and that's like, the episode. Futurama on the other hand was something I could catch on Adult Swim late at night when I wasn't being accosted at every waking moment. Which is where I fell in love with the show. It's not perfect and I'll readily admit that but I'll never not be nostalgic for it.

As much as I dislike Disney becoming more powerful through aquisitions I am hopeful that they'll do right by The Simpsons and put out earlier seasons correctly and with the fixins'. And yes maybe even Futurama too. Given Disney's propensity to milk properties like a cow I hope that's the case.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#37 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:02 pm

Ribs wrote:I have this honest belief it would be possible, suddenly, for the Simpsons to be good again! Or at least, rebooted-Futurama-level good (so, mostly alright, sometimes great). But I just feel like Al Jean and whoever really crippled the show by sticking with it for just so long. Almost every other TV show to have ever existed switches showrunners every three years! I know he's had a somewhat reduced role. But, anyway, that's besides the point: I was more thinking that, had they ended the Simpsons at Season 25 or something we'd probably already be on a track of the upcoming Simpsons reboot. I'm actually somewhat intrigued by a lot of these reboot ideas, as it does strike me as a unique thing network TV can do to combat streaming and cable.
The Simpsons hit the skids for a lot of reasons, but the voice talent is no longer in the same room with one another, the animation is no longer hand-drawn, the writers are no longer motivated by having the most sought-after job in comedy writing, there are a thousand tiny cuts that would make a reboot just as worthless as a 35th season, it's not as if they could suddenly sew all that back up after a few years off

Mr Sausage

#38 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:16 pm

domino harvey wrote:So long as they brought Rene Balcer back to showrun-- it's markedly noticeable how much better the flagship and Criminal Intent were when he was at the helm
Do he helm the final season of CI? Because that season was markedly better than the four or five preceding it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#39 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:21 pm

He didn't, though Wikipedia says he rewrote the finale but remained uncredited. He did however co-write either the story or script for most if not the entire first five seasons, so his presence was well established early on. He also is responsible for the last seasons of Law & Order proper, which not only pulled the show out of a tailspin but gave us the best cast and scripts since the glory days at least a decade prior

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Netflix Originals

#40 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:44 am

Luke M wrote:Anyone watching Ugly Beautiful? David Chang of Momofuku fame travels across the world exploring how different cultures prepare ubiquitous foods and going into their history. There’s episodes about pizza, tacos, fried chicken, and others. I think the Thanksgiving episode was actually my favorite.
Thought this was enjoyable, but a bit too reliant on the David Chang schtick where he gets angry about rather abstract concepts (“why can’t they charge more for this food?” etc) - the guy has a major chip on his shoulder and it comes out in rather bizarre ways at times. That said, it’s definitely a step forward from the old Bourdain/Zimmern type model that is feeling very stale in recent years.

jazzo

#41 Post by jazzo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Not sure if it's because I was quite taken with the source novel, but two episodes into the AMC adaptation of Dan Simmon's historical horror, THE TERROR, and I'm kind-of loving it. Hopefully I'll have more to say when it's done, but so far, it carries all the menace of the novel, and we've barely touched upon the supernatural, instead hovering around the claustrophobic doom of the ice-bound Franklin expedition, itself.

Plus, y'know, Ciarán Hinds and Jared Harris always add a touch of class to their projects.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#42 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Less than two months after it premiered, Everything Sucks has already been canceled. Not surprised, since this sounded like something I'd like until I watched the trailer and decided, nope, never watching that (same story as Girl Boss)

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#43 Post by ando » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Watched the Nas episode (#2) of the 8 part hip hop doc, Rapture. Not bad. Lin-Miranda finds his way into this one. Skipped the first ep. after the featured rapper (unknown to me) boasted about his generational impact 5 minutes in. The series proportedly covers the current state/influence of hip hop. Have a feeling this'll be a mixed lot.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Festival Circuit 2018

#44 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:00 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
Ribs wrote:Props to Deadline for doing possibly the only good Journalistic choice they've ever made, with the headline "Netflix Dumps Cannes One Year After Being Dumped By Cannes"
Definitely a "You can't fire me, I quit" response. Also, I wish I lived in a world where the Meyerowitz Stories was one of the biggest films of the year
Is that or Okja on disc at all yet?
Nope, worldwide holdings belong to Netflix

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#45 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:02 pm

Putting out seasons of their original series on disc at least serves as a way to advertise for a subscription to see future seasons. Guessing that the first time there's a sequel on the horizon for a Netflix film (so I guess Bright, maybe a month or two before the sequel comes out?) is the first time we'll see one released on disc.

colinr0380

#46 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:08 pm

There was one precedent in Series 3 of Black Mirror getting a UK Blu-ray release at the end of last year, so hopefully that might bode well for the future.

GaryC

#47 Post by GaryC » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:33 pm

The Crown is out on Blu-ray and DVD, but I don't know if that's Netflix releasing it on disc, or another company putting money into the production in return for the disc-releasing rights.

Ribs

#48 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:23 pm

GaryC wrote:The Crown is out on Blu-ray and DVD, but I don't know if that's Netflix releasing it on disc, or another company putting money into the production in return for the disc-releasing rights.
colinr0380 wrote:There was one precedent in Series 3 of Black Mirror getting a UK Blu-ray release at the end of last year, so hopefully that might bode well for the future.
There's no precedent whatsoever about any Netflix titles coming to disc. TV programs are different as certain ancillary rights are retained by the production studios. Stranger Things is the only totally Netflix Original program from the bottom-up that's gotten a release. It is exceedingly likely that, unless filmmakers sign some weird contract that mandates a release must come X months after release (which I believe many of these "auteurs" like Baumbach or Cuaron could do), they will never appear until Netflix's library is transferred elsewhere, which will possibly never happen.

PfR73

#49 Post by PfR73 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:57 am

I attended a screening of I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore early this year that Austin Film Society was able to arrange with Netflix after the Austin Film Critics Association awarded it 2017 Austin Film Award. Macon Blair did a Q&A, during which he seemed to indicate the film would not be able to ever get a physical release.

Ribs

#50 Post by Ribs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:07 pm

He obviously does not and would not have the cachet for it, though - an Academy Award-winning director like Cuaron might. I have no idea what the deal is with Baumbach's next (he apparently hated their release of Meyerowitz Stories, which was arranged by his producers without getting his go-ahead) but assuming he *is* actually making it for Netflix (which I don't think has actually been confirmed, just rumored) I'd assume he's done whatever he can contractually (at the pre-production stage, which is different then Meyerowitz which was acquired) to get Netflix to release the movie he wans it to.