Big Little Lies

Discuss TV shows old and new.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Big Little Lies

#26 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:05 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:00 pm
I am not going to watch any of this, but did you find fault with the S02 storyline, or the way it feels like Arnold's vision was compromised?
Just speaking for myself, not Matt: Both.

ianungstad

#27 Post by ianungstad » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:12 pm

Neither season of this show is all that good. I just assumed that the slew of Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for Big Little Lies was simply to get a bunch of A-listers to show up to the telecast. This show is average at best with several plot strands in both season that should have been handled with much more nuance. It's total awards bait that will be quickly forgotten. (so of course Meryl Streep joins for season 2)

Matt

#28 Post by Matt » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 pm

For me, it's 100% the storyline. I thought maybe it was going in a good direction early on with a general theme of living with the guilt of past violent/abusive actions, but that washed away in the Monterey surf pretty quickly. What little flashes of Arnold's style that are still evident are, for me, the best parts of the show. I never expected that she'd be given full creative control—on a David E. Kelley show?—so I can't say I'm disappointed or even surprised that so much of it feels like a well-heeled Lifetime movie. I see Kelley and Kidman have hired Susanne Bier for their next HBO prestige soap, and that seems like a much better fit.

A real saving grace for the final episode of BLL could be someone shoving Shailene Woodley, her bangs, and her dumb boyfriend down a flight of stairs.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#29 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:25 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 pm
A real saving grace for the final episode of BLL could be someone shoving Shailene Woodley, her bangs, and her dumb boyfriend down a flight of stairs.
Don't forget Young Sheldon!