Stranger Things

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Luke M

Stranger Things

#76 Post by Luke M » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:54 am

I finished it last night. Thought it was fantastic. Dare I say it, it’s actually better than the first season.

I also felt like it was the first show/film to make you aware of the Trump era.

John Shade

Re: Stranger Things

#77 Post by John Shade » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Only watched the first episode so far. You can tell they have a bigger budget--seems a bit more slick, not necessarily in a bad way. I can't tell if the '80s nostalgia has been ramped up or if my memory from season 1 has faded...I skipped the recap but probably need it.

denti alligator

#78 Post by denti alligator » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Is the CGI better? It was pretty bad in the final episodes of the last season.

Luke M

#79 Post by Luke M » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:39 pm

The CG isn’t great. I gave it a pass because it’s tv but it’s not even Game of Thrones/Westworld level.

Swift

#80 Post by Swift » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:48 pm

John Shade wrote:Only watched the first episode so far. You can tell they have a bigger budget--seems a bit more slick, not necessarily in a bad way. I can't tell if the '80s nostalgia has been ramped up or if my memory from season 1 has faded...I skipped the recap but probably need it.
Have only watched the first couple of episodes so far, but it definitely seemed the 80s nostalgia increased over last season, along with the amount of "shits" uttered.

John Shade

#81 Post by John Shade » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:47 pm

Yeah I thought there was more cursing too. Maybe they think It gave them this license.

John Shade

#82 Post by John Shade » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:57 pm

I've now made it through seven episodes and have enjoyed this season so far. The CG isn't the greatest, but the night scenes sort that out sometimes. I still think it isn't bad or overdone like a Marvel movie.
SpoilerShow
I'm curious to see the reaction to episode 7 on this board. That's the one that seems to be dividing critics. I thought it was kind of a Repo Man for kids--a bold move, though some are calling it a backdoor pilot.

dx23

#83 Post by dx23 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:00 am

John Shade wrote:I've now made it through seven episodes and have enjoyed this season so far. The CG isn't the greatest, but the night scenes sort that out sometimes. I still think it isn't bad or overdone like a Marvel movie.
SpoilerShow
I'm curious to see the reaction to episode 7 on this board. That's the one that seems to be dividing critics. I thought it was kind of a Repo Man for kids--a bold move, though some are calling it a backdoor pilot.
I liked it and thought that's a
SpoilerShow
premise for a spinoff series.

Swift

#84 Post by Swift » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:37 pm

Finished this last night. I'm not usually much of a binge watcher but this was surprisingly easy to get through quickly. Much better than the first season, but I hope they leave it alone now. Best to go out on a high rather than it deteriorate in quality. Of course, producers don't like to leave money on the table. I could go for the suggestion in the above spoilers though.

Andre Jurieu

#85 Post by Andre Jurieu » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Season 3 is already in the works.

Mr Sausage

#86 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:04 pm

I was under the impression the show is expected to go four seasons.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#87 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Netflix needs money. I predict 8 seasons plus a reunion reboot every 10 years from there. It's quite literally a show about the kinds of nostalgia that will never let it fully die, for better or worse.

John Shade

#88 Post by John Shade » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:54 pm

A few reactions to this season after watching all of it:
SpoilerShow
A number of critics really seem to dislike episode seven. For whatever reason, it might be my favorite. I know that they veered away from the plot right near the end; I thought it was kind of bold to do this, even if there's a cynical aspect which is just to set up a new show. While the characters are mostly just caricatures of '80s punks, it was kind of fun to see a left turn. Eleven/Jane is the heart of the show, the way I see it and we needed something to do with her.

Unless Steve is now the new heart of the show. I really enjoyed the material with him as the big brother figure and talking up hairsprays. I also liked Bob--he just might become the new Barb for the young memeing generation.

People are saying this season went further away from Spielberg (or at least I think I read this somewhere), but there were a number of moments that reminded me directly of Jurassic Park.

The '80s nostalgia was really heavy the first few episodes; it didn't really come back strong until the final 20 minutes of the season which were...sort of a drag for me. The overall arc of this season was basically the same as last season too, and yet I think I enjoyed this one more.

Of the new characters I liked the conspiracy guy, but really wasn't getting anything out of Billy and Maxine--with one exception--the return of the basketball montage.

Swift

#89 Post by Swift » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:15 pm

SpoilerShow
There was also a heavy Gremlins feel with Dusty nurturing a pet that ends up being monstrous. I swear the soundtrack referenced the movie too at one point.

McCrutchy

#90 Post by McCrutchy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Weeks after the BD/DVD combo version of the first season was supposedly leaked online, now a UHD/BD combo version was just "leaked" at a Target store in New York. It uses the same kind of VHS-style packaging, but with a white case and a different poster. Supposedly the release date is December 5th, 2017, but depending on your Target, I guess they may have them out already.

Multiple pictures can be found here and here. I personally find these "leaks" very convenient (especially given the nature of the product being leaked), but I guess we'll never truly know if Netflix and/or Target are just unbelievably incompetent or not.

fdm

#91 Post by fdm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:10 am

That bd/dvd set will be a Black Friday (weekend) doorbuster for $10.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#92 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:28 am

Roger Ryan

#93 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:17 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:28 am
Season three teaser
They should have avoided that drone shot of the "mall" for 80s authenticity, but this was well-done.

flyonthewall2983

#94 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:47 pm

I've seen better attempts at doing a VHS aesthetic but it gets the point across. Maybe it's just me but Hawkins feels too small to have had a mall of it's own.

Roger Ryan

#95 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:58 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:47 pm
I've seen better attempts at doing a VHS aesthetic but it gets the point across. Maybe it's just me but Hawkins feels too small to have had a mall of it's own.
You're right about the size of the town vs. a mall of this size. It wasn't the "old video" aesthetic effects that made me smile, but the shot compositions, editing and overall tone. I was shooting mall commercials like this in the 80s and it got my old crap down cold!*

*For the record, I never used "star" wipes nor would I do hard cuts during camera moves.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#96 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:56 pm

Season Two Blu-rays and UHDs coming as a Target exclusive next Tuesday

perkizitore

#97 Post by perkizitore » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:36 pm

Let's just hope the UHDs are proper 4K this time (HDR, lossless audio etc.)

flyonthewall2983

#98 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 am

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#99 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:40 am

Did anyone get all the way through Season 2 who is eagerly anticipating Season 3? If they'd left the first season as a standalone I would have been excited for new anthology seasons of this show, but as it stands, Season 2 was a big step down and very forgettable, which makes this feel like too little too late for the series as a whole now that the kid actors are almost adults.

flyonthewall2983

#100 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:32 am

The use of "Baba O'Riley" hooked me in which is almost unfair since it's one of my favorite songs, but you're right. S2 had it's moments but most of it was squandered.