Sense8

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Sense8

#1 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:32 pm

The Wachowskis come to the Netflix TV serial world . Anyone else checking this out? I'm watching it because BAE Doona is in it. Only 2 episodes in so far. Reviews suggest this doesn't really make it off the ground until eps. 3 or 4.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Sense8

#2 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:45 pm

Well -- I have imposed on myself the obligation to watch every Bae Doona show and movie I can find, so I must soldier on. ;-}

YnEoS

#3 Post by YnEoS » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:38 pm

I really want to give this a shot because of J. Michael Straczynski's involvement, as Babylon 5 is easily the best sci-fi show from the 1990s. But as much as I like things that Straczynski and The Wachowskis have done, I feel like my least favorite parts of both of their works is when they go for spiritual new age philosophy type stuff (if that's the right wording) , and I'm worried the collaboration will only bring out those aspects more to the forefront.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#4 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:26 pm

Watched up through 5 -- and still liking it. Enjoying the little bits of humor here and there as much as the suspense...

jbeall

#5 Post by jbeall » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:24 am

Nine episodes in and I think the show is finding its stride. Still probably one or two too many storylines for everything to be manageable, but the conspiracy storyline is picking up steam. (Also, loved the fight/chase sequence in episode 8.)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#6 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:47 pm

Finished with season 1. When is season 2 likely to appear (assuming it gets made)? ;-)

jbeall

#7 Post by jbeall » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:36 am

As far as I can tell, that's still up in the air.

I really enjoyed the series. The Wachowskis definitely aren't going for realism, and a lot of the fun lies in how
SpoilerShow
this television show is about a love of cheesy movies. Indeed, several of the characters are living in explicitly generic "movies": Wolfgang is basically a Schwarzenegger movie hero; in a hilarious and thrilling scene in episode 11, Capheus uses his bus to become a Van Damme hero; and Lito's storyline is mostly straight-up melodrama. So when the sensates are helping each other, it's a situation of a character from another genre intruding into a narrative where he or she doesn't belong.
I really hope Netflix greenlights season 2. I think television may be a better format for the Wachowskis, as it gives them more time to develop their ideas instead of shoehorning them all into an inevitably cluttered movie.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#8 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:07 pm

jbeall I think you are on to something.

I think it is also interesting that each of the eight seem to have a somewhat different level of inter-connection with the "cluster" and with the world around them (outside the eight of them).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#9 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:16 am

You look familiar.

We had sex.

Oh, yeah.

Hey, guys, we have someone to rescue.

(or something like that)

colinr0380

#10 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:46 pm

It seemed that the Larry to Lana Wachowski transition was built into a big story around the time of the Matrix sequels with the press apparently being told that they would have to go back to interviews on the original Matrix DVDs for footage of the directors rather than getting access during the promotion of the sequels (though I may be misremembering). That seemed to cause a little hostility among the press as the time, and it all seemed to be trying to get tied in a bit with the directors not wanting to speak too much about the themes of their work themselves or do commentary tracks (though they had done one for Bound early on), hence something like the paired critics and philosophers commentaries on the eventual DVD release of the Matrix trilogy. But there ended up being a lot of behind the scenes footage in which they both appeared on the Matrix DVDs and all of the films since, so any issues of 'reclusiveness' and reasons around that being brought up in the press seem to have fallen by the wayside now.

I suppose the most relevant and interesting part of the whole Lana Wachowski transition to the films they have made is perhaps just that it seems to highlight the fluid sense of shifting identities in their work. The critic commentary noted it during the club scenes of the Matrix films (in not an entirely complimentary way!) when they talked about the youthful sense of being just any one race just not being 'cool', something which adds a sense of interconnection, though runs the risk of making every character blandly interchangable also! I haven't seen the Sense8 series yet but something like the same actors taking on different roles in the multiple interconnected timelines of Cloud Atlas seems like the best statement of those kinds of themes that the Wachowskis have made so far.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:52 pm

jbeall

#12 Post by jbeall » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Very happy to hear this. The second season will begin with all of the sensates knowing who/what they are, so there should be a lot less set-up and exposition than in season one. At the same time, I hope there's a good editor to enforce some narrative discipline on the Wachowskis. Their ambition is admirable, but also sometimes their worst enemy.

Offhand,
SpoilerShow
what happens with Riley and Will? The last we saw them, she was again injecting him with a tranquilizer in order to keep him unconscious and their location from Whispers. So they either need to keep him nearly constantly unconscious, or put him in a location where there are no identifying markers--Will can't even know where he is. Also, Whispers can probably do some back-hacking to discern that Nomi is still in SF, so she's gotta get (more) off the grid, and quickly.
That said, here's to another round of psychic bathhouse orgies and becoming your favorite genre-movie character (not necessarily at the same time)!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#13 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:41 pm

Looking forward to this. Hopefully, no second season letdown in this series....

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#14 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:22 pm

Filming for the second season will supposedly start (in earnest) in March.

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/sense8-season- ... ver-663559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jbeall

#16 Post by jbeall » Thu May 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Lilly Wachowski is taking a break from the series, leaving Lana as showrunner for season 2. (If the picture in this article ain't NSFW, it's mighty close!)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#19 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue May 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Anyone else watching -- we're now 9/11ths of the way through. The Holiday show was a bit weird, but the rest of season 2 has seemed pretty good so far...

jbeall

#20 Post by jbeall » Tue May 16, 2017 11:13 pm

About halfway through and enjoying it a lot, though the club-mix reprise of 4 Non Blonde's "What's Up?" is something I could do without. (I seriously hate that song....)

Murdoch

#21 Post by Murdoch » Sat May 20, 2017 7:21 pm

I liked it well enough. I'm still not on board with the overarching nemesis and find the characters' individual stories and interactions more interesting.
SpoilerShow
The finale was a big letdown to me though since the heist had no set-up and left me mostly confused by what was happening.

The Narrator Returns

#22 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:51 pm

Netflix has cancelled it.

Murdoch

#23 Post by Murdoch » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Welp, hopefully there will be some wrap-up special, otherwise what a waste.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#24 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Maybe it'll get picked up by Netflix.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#25 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:58 pm

swo17 wrote:Maybe it'll get picked up by Netflix.
???