#26 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:31 am

Swift

Re: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

#27 Post by Swift » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:12 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#28 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:19 pm

I'm four episodes into Season 2 and I can't remember the last show that dropped off so quickly and unexpectedly. Not one single interesting plotline was mapped out for any of the main characters, not as many jokes hit despite a similar density, and the whole thing feels completely aimless. If Jane Krakowski's character felt a little shoehorned into the show last season, boy does she hog far too much screentime this year and for far less of a justifiable story reason - the show is now sort of just using Kimmy as the glue to hold together a show about Tituss Burgess and Krakowski, which is a lot less interesting than what Season 1 delivered. I'll see this through, but it's hugely disappointing to see this train having gone off the rails so sharply.

oh yeah

#29 Post by oh yeah » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:58 pm

Huh, I really loved this season and thought it was overall probably even better than the first -- weirder, a little darker, and joke-for-joke funnier. I love the way this show just throws jokes at you left and right, every second, and how most of them are actually hilarious. I really liked Krakowski's heavier involvement in the first half of the season as it had a lot of funny stuff (Amy Sedaris just stole every scene), but it doesn't stay with her the whole season for sure. I think actually most people agree that the season really gets going around halfway through (Episode 5 is fantastic), and I thought it ended on a strong note -- better than the slightly disappointing courtroom finish to S1. I dunno, I had very few complaints about this season -- I suppose seeing Richard Kind again would've been nice.

Murdoch

#30 Post by Murdoch » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:55 am

Fey's established herself as a brilliant writer of one-liners, albeit placing those lines in often trite plots. 30 Rock managed to maintain a balance through a good portion of its run of jokes with an overall satire of comedy sketch shows. Kimmy though leans heavily on laughing at what the characters say and ignoring the dull plot mechanics. I didn't have a problem with it very much in its first season, but in this new one it does feel a lot like Kimmy is merely there to connect threads.

The underlying premise - stuck in a bunker for fifteen years - always felt like a one-note means of mining jokes that is rarely explored beyond a flashback. This season definitely does better to focus on Kimmy adapting to this new world. sacrificing court mechanics that were too silly for even this show and delving into rather grounded therapy. My main complaint though is much like mfunk's in that Kimmy doesn't really do anything. She's there to act as motivation to Titus and Jacqueline, but outside of that she just flounders. Still, I did find quite a bit to laugh at with the second season, but it's a show I only watch to get a laugh in and soon forget most of what happened to spawn the line. I'd be happy if the writers nixed the callbacks to the bunker entirely, including the preacher coming back, and just focused on Kimmy adapting to the era of Twitter and iPads.

oh yeah

#31 Post by oh yeah » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:08 am

Season 3 was enjoyable but rather underwhelming (especially that ending - what?). I thought Season 2 still had a ton of life and inspiration in it but there's definitely a staleness that's crept in by now and I wonder if they can gracefully finish it off with one more decent season (or two at the very most).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#32 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:59 am

I much preferred Season 3 to Season 2 - thought it got back to the series’ roots in a lot of ways (though I do still find it too Krakowski heavy and too densely plotted at times) and Tituss Burgess just had so many excellent, well-delivered lines and running season-long jokes. I’m still not completely sure what the series should do (or wants to do) with Kimmy, and think that if they found the right arc for her it would improve substantially, but they’re much more on the right track than they were in Season 2.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

Re: Netflix Originals

#33 Post by soundchaser » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:54 pm

I'm surprised Kimmy Schmidt hasn't generated more discussion around here. Maybe I haven't watched too many comedies of this era, but the tightness of the writing in this one and the broadness of its tone consistently amaze me. And yes, it is much more on-the-nose in its Trump references this season, but I think it works far better than it has in late-nite.

Murdoch

Re: Netflix Originals

#34 Post by Murdoch » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:00 pm