TV of 2014

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Mr Sausage

Re: TV of 2014

#51 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:29 pm

The real question: will Domino be able to stop himself from watching?

Movie-Brat

#52 Post by Movie-Brat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:17 pm

Zot! wrote:
Movie-Brat wrote:Friday the 13th to finally get an hour long series. This time Jason Voorhees will make his television debut.

Given that I'm a fan of slasher movies and Jason's no exception, I'm excited. Especially if it means Freddy Krueger's not long behind. Suffice to say, I think Bates Motel and Hannibal may have started a new trend of Horror movie icons getting their own TV show.
A day late and a dollar short. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the ... The_Series

I guess one of the episodes was even directed by David Cronenberg.
That one didn't have Jason. It had a groovy theme though. But you know, I'm surprised a TV show about the guy didn't happen sooner.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#53 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Nine years later, the Comeback is returning for a six-episode run on HBO. I only wish it well in hopes that Enlightenment can get similar treatment someday

Andre Jurieu

#54 Post by Andre Jurieu » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:03 pm

domino harvey wrote:Nine years later, the Comeback is returning for a six-episode run on HBO. I only wish it well in hopes that Enlightenment can get similar treatment someday
TV By Numbers wrote:We are told that the show's creator Michael Patrick King, along with writers Dan Bucantisky (Scandal, Grey's Anatomy) and Amy B. Harris (Sex and the City, The Carrie Diaries) will be part of the creative team on The Comeback's new episodes.
For anyone that didn't watch the original series, the inclusion of these names should provide some idea of what the show will be like. The original series was funny at times, but I found it utterly frustrating how the central character was always shown to be sympathetic, despite the fact that she was incredibly delusional and self-centered. The worst part was that any antagonist or supporting characters were often humiliated and eventually characterized as being completely evil because they didn't somehow support the protagonist's misguided aspirations and behaviour. It was basically akin to watching a show about an addict, where somehow the audience is supposed to cheer whenever they score their next hit and boo anyone who prevents them from getting high again. Yet, if this character were actually a real human-being, I think it would be incredibly sad that no one in their life would have a serious conversation with them about how destructive their self-involvement is to everyone around them.

Actually, now that I'm putting some more thought into this, I think this series should be paired with re-runs of Perfect Strangers, since Balki was never wrong about anything no matter how naive he was about modern society (or should have every episode be followed by that episode of Friends where Phoebe steals a little girl's cat because she thinks it's the reincarnation of her mother, but we're all supposed to hate Ross for being a bad friend because he tells her that she should return the cat ... since that makes sense, because who cares about a heart-broken little girl who did absolutely nothing wrong and has lost her pet when we have to make a delusional adult feel better).

On a related note: Why the hell do I torture myself by watching these shows?
Last edited by Andre Jurieu on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#55 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:05 pm

flyonthewall2983

#56 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:46 pm

Cold Bishop

#57 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri May 02, 2014 4:13 am

So who followed Andy Daly's spectacular Review this season? Not only has it been the most uproariously funny new show of the year so far, but it had moments that were as emotionally devastating as anything I've seen in a drama this year. All this despite its seemingly stand-alone mock-TV show format.

I don't know if they'll be a greater comedy moment all year than "There All Is Aching".

EDIT: And Comedy Central currently has the entire season up (well, the last episode is presumably coming) on Youtube.
Last edited by Cold Bishop on Sat May 03, 2014 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

pzadvance

#58 Post by pzadvance » Fri May 02, 2014 10:37 am

Cold Bishop wrote:So who followed Andy Daly's spectacular Review this season? Not only has it been the most uproariously funny new show of the year so far, but it had moments that were as emotionally devastating as anything I've seen in a drama this year. All this despite its seemingly stand-alone mock-TV show format.

There All Is Aching.

EDIT: And Comedy Central currently has the entire season up on Youtube.
Seconded. I haven't caught last night's finale yet but so far it's been one of the most inventive and hilarious new shows this year, and has served as the perfect showcase for Daly's specific brand of tragic comedy. Between this, Broad City, Nathan For You, and Kroll Show, Comedy Central's really been pumping out some great stuff lately.

Cold Bishop

#59 Post by Cold Bishop » Sat May 03, 2014 4:55 am

pzadvance wrote:Nathan For You,
I was really hoping the "Dumb Starbucks" publicity would have convinced CC to get the new season out sooner. But alas...

They're probably CC's two best shows at the moment (Although I really need to give the back-half of Broad City's season a bigger chance). If they could get future seasons of the two on the same night, they would be unstoppable. Or a rating's nightmare.

warren oates

#60 Post by warren oates » Sat May 03, 2014 1:24 pm

I wasn't going to say anything and this discussion should probably be moved to the Nathan For You thread, but really, for those who still think the show is super clever and funny, especially ones who want to defend the more elaborate and no less toothless stunts from Season Two like "Dumb Starbucks," I'd be curious to hear what keeps you watching.

FrauBlucher

#61 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue May 06, 2014 6:58 am

The Batman craze continues. This does look interesting enough even for me to take a look in the fal. And of course around the same time the 60's Batman show gets released on DVD.

The Narrator Returns

#62 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu May 08, 2014 6:41 pm

Dads, Enlisted, Rake, and Surviving Jack have been canceled.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#63 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 09, 2014 5:44 pm

Maybe it's because the networks are finally feeling the pressure from declining ratings and competition from cable/internet, but this fall's slate has more promising new shows than any year in recent memory

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#64 Post by Drucker » Fri May 09, 2014 9:05 pm

Larry Wilmore to replace Colbert. Show will be called Minority Report With Larry Wilmore.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#65 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:11 pm

The right choice and a hilarious name. He deserves it.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#66 Post by Drucker » Fri May 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Agreed that it bodes well. Colbert's greatest strength, to me, is approaching what is basically the same material differently every day. His stylings are fresh every night. If Larry can do that, I'll be very happy.

knives

#67 Post by knives » Sun May 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Yeah, either he or Schaal carry the most host like weight so its nice to see him get the job. His vocal inflection is amazing and assuming they more broadly go at the news as they go by (obviously there will be growing pains to begin with) I can see him being as great.

warren oates

#68 Post by warren oates » Sun May 11, 2014 10:03 pm

I just think the concept of the show is sort of the lede that's getting buried here. A fake pundit panel show like The MacLaughlin Group and its many subsequent clones done for laughs is a great idea. I hope it's not scripted too excessively and allows for some improv and openness with regard to the rotation of in-on-it and perhaps in-character panelists and real-life guests. Frankly, that's what I thought John Oliver's HBO show was going to be instead of just a pale shadow of The Daily Show, only once a week.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#69 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 21, 2014 8:47 pm

A ton of HBO programming is now available free to Amazon Prime subscribers, including things like the Sopranos, Deadwood, the Wire, Oz, Rome, and now y'all can finally watch Mamet's underrated Phil Spector and the brilliant first season of In Treatment too

ianungstad

#70 Post by ianungstad » Fri May 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Netflix is in advanced negotiations on two new original series. One of the series is called The Crown and comes from Stephen Daldry and Peter Morgan. Series deals with the life of Queen Elizabeth II. (meh)

The other series sounds much more promising. They are putting together a sitcom with David Wain that will be a prequel to the cult comedy Wet Hot American Summer. Apparently most of the original cast is on board. Project sounds a little gimmicky with the cast playing high schoolers: it's six months to a year earlier than when the original movie was -- except the actors playing those characters are 10 years older. To be fair the conceit worked for the most part in Strangers with Candy.

ianungstad

#72 Post by ianungstad » Wed May 28, 2014 8:13 pm

Hulu is in very early talks to pick up future seasons of Community.

The Narrator Returns

#73 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed May 28, 2014 8:22 pm

warren oates

#74 Post by warren oates » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Anyone who found last year's rogue submarine show Last Resort too plausible and cerebral should have a go at TNT's Michael Bay produced Hank Steinberg written dumbed down evisceration of a pretty interesting post apocalyptic novel called The Last Ship, a supposed source text that nevertheless seems to have as little to do with the series which it's officially based on as real geopolitics and actual military procedure do with either one of these histrionic tele turkeys.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#75 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:45 am

List of Emmy noms (Writing/directing/technical noms don't seem to be up anywhere yet)

Interesting to see HBO did an unadvertised switch besides True Detective and ran Treme in the miniseries category, which obviously worked because it actually got nommed! Shame it couldn't pick up any acting noms in the process, but I wasn't expecting any representation so this is nice. Janney as expected got justly nommed for Masters of Sex, as did Lizzy Caplan somewhat more surprisingly. Emmys continued to ignore Justified and the Americans (save a guest nom for Martindale). Silicon Valley surprisingly made it into the Best Comedy category. Armisen getting a nom for Portlandia is also cool. Dean Norris snubbed for what should have been an easy nomination in favor of Aaron Paul-- what did Jesse even do in the last season other than cry? Norris had long been one of the show's weaker links and yet really pulled it up in the last season, so this is actually some Breaking Bad praise/commiseration I'm offering.