Pre-2000s Television on Blu-ray

Discuss TV shows old and new.
manicsounds

Re: Pre-2000s Television on Bluray

#51 Post by manicsounds » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:45 pm

krnash

#52 Post by krnash » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:32 am

The Dick Van Dyke: Complete Series Blu-ray collection is only $61.00 on Amazon (82% off, usually $350) brand spankin' new right now. This probably won't last long, so I thought I'd let some people know here.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dick-Van-Dyke ... n+dyke+blu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

manicsounds

#53 Post by manicsounds » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:47 pm

Minkin

#54 Post by Minkin » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:18 pm

Apparently CBS/Paramount are planning to do the following shows on blu-ray next:

Gunsmoke
Rawhide
Bonanza
The Wild Wild West
Petticoat Junction
Dynasty
The Beverly Hillbillies
Taxi
Twin Peaks

Lets just hope they stop the absurd $130/season MSRP + add decent bonus features. At least the image/audio quality should be outstanding on all of these.

aox

#55 Post by aox » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:28 pm

Wouldn't Gunsmoke be $1000 MSRP?

perkizitore

#56 Post by perkizitore » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:44 pm

They can price Twin Peaks as much as they want, I would still buy it in a heartbeat! :-$

Donald Brown

#57 Post by Donald Brown » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Very pleasantly surprised to see Taxi as a possibility. I doubt the DVDs were good sellers, as 70s and early 80s classics don't seem to get much love on home video. It takes Shout! Factory to come to the rescue of many shows that have been abandoned by the studios.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#58 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:43 am

Has anyone bit on the very high price and purchased Season 1 of I Love Lucy on Blu-ray yet? It's on sale (pfft) for $59.99 on Amazon right now, which is rather shockingly more than half off the MSRP - if it were the complete series I'd pay three times that - but just for one season? Is it worth the upgrade for someone who has the complete series on DVD, and more importantly, is it worth the upgrade at that price?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#59 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 13, 2014 9:26 pm

If miniseries count, Shogun is coming July 22nd

Minkin

#60 Post by Minkin » Wed May 14, 2014 8:05 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Has anyone bit on the very high price and purchased Season 1 of I Love Lucy on Blu-ray yet? It's on sale (pfft) for $59.99 on Amazon right now, which is rather shockingly more than half off the MSRP - if it were the complete series I'd pay three times that - but just for one season? Is it worth the upgrade for someone who has the complete series on DVD, and more importantly, is it worth the upgrade at that price?
I haven't purchased any of the three classic shows that Paramount released last week -yet. Of the three, it seems that I Love Lucy is the only one they put much effort into. For the Honeymooners/Andy Griffith blus - the $130 retail price is absolutely insane, and I wouldn't be surprised if both sell so poorly that it makes Paramount rethink their classic tv on bluray scheme (I'm guessing there won't be a season 2 of Andy Griffith on blu).

$130 per season made sense with the Star Trek releases. The Original Series included two versions of every episode (original and remastered effects +audio). Next Gen involved a huge amount of work (they claim the largest film restoration project ever undertaken) of going back to the original film elements and putting everything together. Plus both shows on blu had a fairly decent amount of extra features - commentaries, interviews, etc etc. So they were at least somewhat worth the higher MSRP.

So when Paramount came to release Andy Griffith, for $130 - you get middling AV quality (Paramount was having a good track record) and just an interview, the crappy TV movie, 8 min home movie, and a Danny Thomas episode. 4 discs, no special work done to either audio or visuals. Honeymooners blu is slightly better on AV and extras, but still, hardly worth the exorbitant pricetag. Only I love Lucy seems to have received much attention (extras wise - and it does have quite a number of them, but I'm unfamiliar with the dvd sets extras, so I can't compare), but the AV quality is nothing special and doesn't appear to be any new work since the dvd sets.

So it doesn't make any sense as to why Paramount did such a poor job with these two shows and are charging beyond premium for them. Little House on the Prairie has about the same attention to AV +extras - but only retails at $40 MSRP. Network films (the best company for tv on blu) released The Sweeney for about $80 MSRP a season (I picked it up for $20) - but includes a great remaster, plus a ton of extras (plus an amazing book). Hell, even Image did wonders with their Twilight Zone and Dick Van Dyke ($100, $60 MSRP a season respectively). There is no reason why Paramount should be charging what they are for these shows. It also doesn't help that, unlike the Star Trek releases, retailers weren't promoting these three blurays on release week (nobody had any sales, which there usually is one for Star trek - to pick them up for about $50 a season on release week)

So, long grumbling aside. I won't be picking up any of these three releases until they drop to $40 or so a season (probably wait for $30 for Andy Griffith/Honeymooners) - since they aren't worth these huge costs. Hopefully Paramount drops the MSRP to $76 (still too high) like they did on TNG season 1 - so that you can pick it up for about $30. I'd say compare the extras and see whether you feel like waiting for the inevitable price drop (even if that isn't until November -where it would probably be about $45 or so).

And Re: Domino - Yep, miniseries count! Added Shogun to the first page list.

matrixschmatrix

#61 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed May 14, 2014 9:22 pm

The Twilight Zone sets aren't cheap but they are absolutely among the best TV show sets I've ever purchased- multiple audio options (original and remastered), newly recorded commentaries from surviving cast members and experts (without losing the older commentaries), radio play versions of the shows, beautiful PQ, recordings of Serling giving talks about the show in the 70s- if Paramount were putting that much effort in, I wouldn't blame them for the high MSRPs. Even the Lucy set, which is certainly solid, looks like it has mostly recycled material (the only commentaries are leftovers from Criterion's laserdisc, sheesh).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#62 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:39 am

I've watched a few episodes streaming in HD on Amazon Instant Video (though they only offer "The Best Of" each season, about 15 episodes short for the first season, for example), and the new restorations really are something special and probably look jaw-dropping on Blu-ray. As for the commentaries, at least they're included - they weren't on the DVDs and the menus on the DVDs are pretty unwieldy. This isn't a show that my wife likes to watch nearly as much as I do, so perhaps taking in a rich Blu-ray release might tip the scales. It would just be a shame to buy it and then find out that Paramount has abandoned plans for future seasons due to low sales.

Murdoch

#63 Post by Murdoch » Sat May 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Sailor Moon complete series, uncut and uncensored, coming to Blu-Ray/DVD this summer. Hulu will also be streaming the uncensored series starting this Monday, adding two episodes each Monday. I've been meaning to rewatch the series for some time now so excuse me while I yell excitedly into my pillow.

Ahem, that is all.

EddieLarkin

#64 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat May 17, 2014 6:37 pm

For reasons unknown even to myself, I have recently developed an inexplicable taste for mahou shoujo anime, and despite never having seen an episode, am also quite excited by the Sailor Moon news (along with Cardcaptor Sakura, also announced recently).

WasabiNME

#65 Post by WasabiNME » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:15 pm

The first three seasons of Airwolf are out in the UK. The reviews sound like they did a pretty good job.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Airwolf-The-Com ... B00IGRO3NY

Minkin

#66 Post by Minkin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Batman (60s series) is arriving in November! Looks like two of my worries have been resolved- 4:3 & Blu-ray. They promise extras as well! Now to just hope this thing won't cost $500 and be limited to 50 copies.

flyonthewall2983

#67 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:48 pm

IFC is airing the original episodes very soon too, so we'll get a look at what they look like on HD.

FrauBlucher

#68 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:44 pm

Minkin wrote:Batman (60s series) is arriving in November! Looks like two of my worries have been resolved- 4:3 & Blu-ray. They promise extras as well! Now to just hope this thing won't cost $500 and be limited to 50 copies.
Happy for the blu ray release, but some of those tight costumes may not be so becoming in 1080p, except for Catwoman of course.

Max von Mayerling

#69 Post by Max von Mayerling » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:42 pm

It is WB and it is batman - which I presume means that the initial release will be some kind of expensive limited edition with a belt buckle - but then if one is willing to wait, eventually there will be a standard edition that will eventually be discounted to a very reasonable price.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#70 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:45 pm

It will be shrinkwrapped in Lycra obv

Minkin

#71 Post by Minkin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:08 am

So, apparently the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series is getting a US blu-ray release from MPI on September 30. Apparently there are six different sets sold separately (2 or 3 discs each) which will cover the complete series.

Bizarrely, these are already available for sale at Costco ($23 per set). One individual at bluray.com has watched some of the first season, and reports back that there are some major issues with DNR. Another individual believes this is just an issue with the first season. Apparently, the Spanish release (which I've mentioned in the first post) has even worse DNR - throughout the entire series. No idea about the Japanese set, but it retails at over $500, so I dont think anybody will be buying that.

So, is anybody able to track down some better information about the Spanish and MPI blurays? Are both butchered or just a few episodes (related to materials?). It is my hope that Network will release this show in the UK (as they have with a large number of ITV shows lately) and do the definitive edition. Hopefully there will be a review of the MPI version soon (still can't believe Costco has it nearly 3 months early). I absolutely love the show (I find it to be the best/most accurate adaptation of the Doyle stories ever made). I'm going to continue to wait until either something better shows up (Network, hopefully), or see how these MPI blus play out.

eerik

#72 Post by eerik » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:36 am

Gregory

#74 Post by Gregory » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Minkin wrote:So, apparently the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series is getting a US blu-ray release from MPI on September 30. Apparently there are six different sets sold separately (2 or 3 discs each) which will cover the complete series.

Bizarrely, these are already available for sale at Costco ($23 per set). One individual at bluray.com has watched some of the first season, and reports back that there are some major issues with DNR. Another individual believes this is just an issue with the first season. Apparently, the Spanish release (which I've mentioned in the first post) has even worse DNR - throughout the entire series. No idea about the Japanese set, but it retails at over $500, so I dont think anybody will be buying that.

So, is anybody able to track down some better information about the Spanish and MPI blurays? Are both butchered or just a few episodes (related to materials?). It is my hope that Network will release this show in the UK (as they have with a large number of ITV shows lately) and do the definitive edition. Hopefully there will be a review of the MPI version soon (still can't believe Costco has it nearly 3 months early). I absolutely love the show (I find it to be the best/most accurate adaptation of the Doyle stories ever made). I'm going to continue to wait until either something better shows up (Network, hopefully), or see how these MPI blus play out.
I have the old MPI DVD sets, and I remember the early seasons (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes) looking and sounding really terrible. My understanding was that this was because the original film elements had deteriorated a lot, though this wasn't nearly as much of a problem for the later seasons. Perhaps the heavy-handed use of DNR on the first season(s) of the blu-rays was an attempt to disguise all the damage and deterioration.

FrauBlucher

#75 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:07 am

Batman (1966) Detailed...
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has officially detailed the Blu-ray release of Batman: The Complete TV Series. The 13-disc Limited Edition box set features all 120 original broadcast episodes presented in 1.33:1 1080p and fully remastered in HD, along with more than three hours of new extras. The Complete TV Series arrives on Blu-ray on November 11th.
The 13-disc Blu-ray release of Batman: The Complete TV Series includes a Hot Wheels Replica Batmobile, a collectible book ("The Adam West Scrapbook"), 44 vintage trading cards, and the following supplemental content:
•Hanging with Batman – A true slice of life in the words of Adam West.
•Holy Memorabilia Batman! – A journey into the most sought after collectables through the eyes of three extraordinary collectors.
•Batmania Born! – Building the World of Batman – Explore the art and design behind the fiction.
•Bats of the Round Table – A candid conversation with Adam West and his celebrity friends, chatting all things Bat '66.
•Inventing Batman, in the Words of Adam West (Episodes 1 & 2) – A rare treat for the fans as Adam discusses his script notes on bringing Batman to life in the first and second episodes.
•Na Na Na Batman! – Hollywood favorites stars and producers recount their favorite Batman memories.
•UltraViolet Digital Copy
Source..Bluray.com