Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: TV of 2013

#26 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:57 pm

flyonthewall2983

#27 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:07 pm

I think this is going to be a television-version of his podcast. He did an interview with Howard Stern recently and said that he talked with NBC about doing this as a weekly thing for the network on their late night schedule, as a once-a-week thing too.

flyonthewall2983

#29 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:29 pm

Anybody watching Broadchurch on BBC America? I've seen some of his run as the Doctor, but this is really impressing me as to David Tennant's abilities.

Andre Jurieu

#30 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:16 pm

I'd have to download it since I don't get that channel, but I keep hearing good things about it.

R0lf

House of Versace

#31 Post by R0lf » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:51 am

House of Versace: “The telepic is based on Wall Street Journal reporter Deborah Ball’s book House of Versace: The Untold Story of Genius, Murder, and Survival and centers on Donatella (Gershon), who after her brother’s slaying is thrust into the spotlight as head designer of his fashion empire. At first ridiculed by critics worldwide, Donatella falls victim to drug addiction and nearly bankrupts the company. With the help of her family, including daughter Allegra, Aunt Lucia (Raquel Welch) and brother Santo (Colm Feore), she enters rehab to confront her demons and soon comes back stronger than ever to reignite the beloved Versace brand with her own vision and builds one of the most powerful and influential fashion houses ever known.”

zOMG

The Narrator Returns

#32 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Dads has to be the worst pilot I've ever seen, besting The New Normal for the title. It managed to combine the very worst from old sitcoms (jokes which would seem stale on The Honeymooners) and Seth MacFarlane shows (oh-so-lazy racist jokes, unbelievably lazy pop culture references). Perhaps the most representative scene would be the one where it's established out of nowhere that one of the dads has a portrait of Eric Stoltz in Mask for no goddamn reason other than so the Mexican maid (get it, Mexicans talk funny!) can say that the dad is ugly. Finally, TV scientists have found a way to crossbreed two flavors of hacky jokes!

Brooklyn Nine-Nine, on the other hand, was incredibly solid. It'll probably fail due to its lead-in, and competition from Agents of SHIELD, but it'll be fun while it lasts.

knives

#33 Post by knives » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:17 pm

When's SHEILD premiering?

Ashirg

#34 Post by Ashirg » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:20 pm

September 24 on ABC.

gcgiles1dollarbin

#35 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Somehow I missed this by a month, but, man, if this is true, it's pretty horrible (of course, no one can take these backroom stories at face value). I am almost certain that I have damaged my brain from getting knees to the skull during shitty tackles while playing rugby (at least a dozen concussions by the time I gave it up), and oddly enough, that sport is vastly safer than American football, because a player actually learns how to wrap a ball-carrier rather than stick the shit out of him with one's false sense of security encased in flimsy body armor. More and more linemen, especially, who are viewed as more expendable in the sport's economy and whose cumulative brain damage at the line of scrimmage goes unnoticed, will grow into premature dementia if more care isn't taken to protect players. How this might be done without sacrificing the blustery, meatheaded appeal of the sport, I'm not sure, and that's where the money is, but the sooner we eliminate more unnecessarily violent collisions like this one, the better.

knives

#36 Post by knives » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:57 pm

Ashirg wrote:September 24 on ABC.
Thanks.

flyonthewall2983

#37 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:23 am

The Narrator Returns wrote:Brooklyn Nine-Nine, on the other hand, was incredibly solid. It'll probably fail due to its lead-in, and competition from Agents of SHIELD, but it'll be fun while it lasts.
I liked it. I like Andy from what I've seen of him, he's a perfect fit for this kind of show. This gets the vibe of the 80's cop comedy down so much better than that abortion of a movie Kevin Smith did a few years ago.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#38 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Hearing great things about it and Trophy Wife and, incredibly, Sleepy Hollow

warren oates

#40 Post by warren oates » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:07 pm

That link was the quickest Internet whiplash I had in one click in a long time. Would love to see a show from Gilroy. Just not that one. Really not that one. Worst pitch I've heard all year. And it doesn't even feel like a show. Maybe the sort of humorless novel that wins the Prix Goncourt. Or at best it's Luc Besson's next dream project, the one he tells himself all those junky action movies pay for.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#41 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:37 pm

In an unusual occurrence, this Season's first renewal came before the first cancellation: Sleepy Hollow is coming back next year

gcgiles1dollarbin

#42 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:59 pm

The Frontline documentary on head injuries in the NFL was rather damning and persuasive, even if there are no new revelations (aside from the news that the NFL continues to demonstrate its campaign against public awareness of this issue by pressuring ESPN to abandon its partnership with Frontline, as flyonthewall2983 indicated above). Nonetheless, this is a good digest of what has unfolded over the last twenty years with regard to this issue. The NFL is obviously terrified that this will mean billions of dollars lost if the extent of the injuries is as bad as they no doubt suspect, and they admit to one doctor that they fear it could mean the end to the league's massive profits, but to mount campaigns against this possibility under the guise of medical research is execrable corporate behavior. Because the brain samples belong to the dead, there is obviously a limited number of test subjects, but the fact that CTE is showing up in young and old alike, steroid use or no, with or without concussion histories, and with only one sample out of nearly fifty clear of tau accretions--it's hard not to be alarmed by the results.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:56 pm

So, are there any good new shows this season other than those that have already found their way into discussion?

Murdoch

#44 Post by Murdoch » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Orange is the New Black is the only 2013 series I think is worth keeping up with. But outside of that, The Michael J. Fox Show is watchable, though don't expect anything apart from the standard family-com and it is a bit awkward given Fox's condition. I just caught the Stephen Merchant series Hello Ladies and it's unfortunately terrible. So far a pretty dismal season.

Roger Ryan

#45 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:43 am

I'm okay with HELLO LADIES (which seems to get better when Stephen Merchant is not on screen), but I wouldn't call it consistently good. As for THE MICHAEL J. FOX show, it's watchable because you're rooting for Fox to be funny despite his condition, but the third episode had no laughs at all. This show has too many characters behaving too broadly throughout - it's enough to make MODERN FAMILY look like Ibsen.

I gave up on WELCOME TO THE FAMILY mid-way through the second episode when the script contrivances completed flattened the already heavily-telegraphed jokes.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:06 am

Genevieve Valentine wrote:REIGN, a show that is nominally about Mary, Queen of Scots, though we can determine this only because people keep assuring us it is.
I haven't seen Reign but this hilarious take-down of the series' inconsistent costuming is worth a read (and the one for Dracula linked in the quote is a riot as well)

The Narrator Returns

#47 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:58 pm

The Blacklist has to be one of the most boringly formulaic shows I've ever seen. It's basically what dumb people think smart TV is.

rohming

#48 Post by rohming » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:33 pm

They love to find adulatory pull-quotes from critics for The Blacklist and, I agree, it merits none of them, even taken out of context. It's just a straight bore. No vision or mood to how the episodes are directed, either, it's basically all just, "Let's find a really polished, over-lit way to present this scene where Spader says something we hope everyone thinks is more clever or delicious than it is, because that's how Spader delivers it."

Matt

#49 Post by Matt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:21 pm

So, Arrow is actually kind of an engaging show, if a touch too dour in the mold of Nolan's Batman movies. It definitely beats the pants off Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. After what I surmise was a repetitive and too-dark first season, the writers are stocking the show chock-full of heroes and villains. Already three episodes into the second season, they've featured Black Canary, Sin, The Dollmaker, Bronze Tiger, China White, and Isabel Rochev, as well as making it clear that Roy Harper (the delectable Colton Haynes) is going to be Red Arrow pretty soon.

In some ways it's typical CW fare (low budget, impossibly beautiful cast, capital-A acting), but it moves and the action scenes are actually fairly thrilling.

flyonthewall2983

#50 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:53 pm

I'm on the fence about Ray Donovan. Completed the first season this week, and while I was bowled over by several of the performances, the story felt pretty flat and done before.