Ed

Discuss TV shows old and new.
dx23

#1 Post by dx23 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:33 pm

PS. Where the Hell is ED on dvd? Music Rights issues I assume.
Yeah, music rights holding this release, acording to here.

Is there some torrent or site where I can find the episodes?

Cinesimilitude

#2 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:25 am

Andre Jurieu wrote:
Where the Hell is ED on dvd?
Christ do I find Tom Cavanagh to be annoying. Julie Bowen on the other hand...
Well, diff'rent strokes I guess.
I was an ED Fanatic. I guess It's because I had been infatuated at the time with some high-school girls and I escaped to a world where I suddenly became cool and romantic and swept my wonder years sweetheart off her feet. Not to mention the character Phil Stubbs was amazing, which reminds me, I need to pick up the first season of Stella... I just loved the atmosphere of the show, and it was always uplifting. And Julie Bowen, yeah. Rrrrowr.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Ed

#3 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 16, 2008 11:25 pm

souvenir wrote:Oh man domino, I might start to actually like you with all this talk of Sports Night and Ed love. Shave my poodle.
BURGER ME

Ed was so far ahead of its time that it's really a credit to the show that it lasted as long as it did. NBC has no idea what they're sitting on by not releasing it, it's gonna be obnoxiously huge once it catches on.

If you're like me and wore out your old broadcast tapes of Ed (I managed to catch on to the show from the first episode and knew it was good enough to start taping by the third episode, so I was lucky to have a fairly full set), I got a really decent complete series set of DVD-Rs for like $80 on iOffer. The first two seasons taken from stolen network tapes and the last two from DVR.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: TV on DVD

#4 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:48 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Ed

#5 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:06 pm

dx23

#6 Post by dx23 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:21 pm

Great read, but makes me wonder really how expensive the show is to be shown. UP TV/network is a relative small network, so how much money could they have paid to show re-runs?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:55 pm

I think TV distribution is quite low, its home video and streaming rights that have to be renegotiated

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:36 am

Wow, someone found the original pilot and posted it on YouTube. I knew Michael Ian Black replaced Donal Logue, but was surprised that some of the funniest character actors on the show were also absent here, including the eventual portrayers of Dr Jerome and Kenny. As someone who's watched the aired pilot a million times, this whole thing is truly a literal bizarro world peek into what the show almost was

(Here's the aired pilot to compare. Sadly, though most of the early episodes are up in full on YT [albeit edited to remove the music], this one is split into five parts-- do yourself a favor and just drop $20 at iOffer for the complete series)

therewillbeblus

#9 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:48 pm

Revisited Ed (well, the first three seasons, I will never ignore the sage advice to skip the abysmal season four again..) and it’s just as majestic as the first time through. The show is groundbreaking for its kind in many ways, but- outside of the first ten-ish perfect episodes of pure homegrown warm-hearted comedy (the “le-toose” $10 bet is gold, but hey, they all are)- there are two highlights that need to be broken down.

The first is Dennis Martino’s student election moment, which appropriately channels his roughness into action. He’s a complex character who is actually right about a lot of things, but a born loser who hides himself in a shell of aloofness (the tragedy is that the events surrounding him ultimately fulfill that early self-diagnosed prophecy that spawned his initial defensive disrespectful behavior). The election allows him to blend selfishness and morality together without forcing them to be mutually exclusive, but the kicker comes in his punchline to the jock Class Prez, who thinks the world is about him and that this has all been designed to teach him a lesson. The delivery of blunt egotistical rationalization from Dennis is superficially appalling but his message about self-respect lingers with acidic power. Dennis is a bit of an enigma, occasionally engaging in ardent discourse in between the inert staticity of introverted pain, but it’s also clear that the showrunners respect their own humble distance from alcoholism’s enigmatic qualities as well, and so instead of trying to simplify his psychology they allow him to be a secondary character while validating that there’s so much more there to dissect, just in another story.

The other best scene is the long-winded argument in the bowling alley at the season three midpoint. It’s such a convoluted mess of psychosocial insecurities and passions, confusingly bubbling up and suppressing themselves in tonally-congestive lyricism with the characters’ histories, that I’m amazed Burnett and Beckerman were able to pull this off on a major network and sell it to a popular audience. I haven’t seen a heated social interaction balance dense authenticity and vibrant entertainment so well since the Brooks/Hunter spat in Broadcast News, and that’s the pinnacle of depicting raw and real intimate interactions when we’re hurting.

Also so nice to see John Krasinski show up in a cameo as the guy who serves Ed his court papers in the late-S3 ep where he’s sued for saving the guy’s life, because it’s heartening that an agent assigned him into his deserved ‘tool’-typecasting before people became inexplicably charmed by this persona and collectively championed him into stardom…