Game of Thrones & House of the Dragon

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Game of Thrones

#276 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:47 pm

I believe Cersei had her last chance for at least some redemption in this episode and we saw how that went. I don't think you're going to get your wish, though I think it would be markedly out of character for Cersei to do anything commendable towards most of the remaining players

movielocke

#277 Post by movielocke » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:50 pm

Cersei is going to be in for a surprise when the golden company is inevitably led by daario naharis

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#278 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:34 pm

Ha! The series has already shown itself working overtime to start tying up loose ends and giving last calls (did anyone expect to see Hot Pie again?), so I wouldn't be surprised if he turns up. But to be honest, I completely forgot about him! Isn't he still in Meereen?

movielocke

Game of Thrones

#279 Post by movielocke » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:24 am

Another thing to consider is the deliberate invocation of slavery by cersei when negotiating with the iron bank. Braavos is founded on a fanatic anti slavery ethos, and she may have guaranteed they will not be on her side when she implies they profit off the slave trade.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#280 Post by barryconvex » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:13 am

I suspect you're right in your guess about fan favorites, and would say it's almost a dead cert that Daenerys dies....
Except she can't die as she's the lord of light. I thought of a few good reasons why this must be true then promptly forgot all of them. But i'm sticking to my theory anyway...

MoonlitKnight

#281 Post by MoonlitKnight » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:14 am

jindianajonz wrote:But I fully agree with you- now that D&D have moved well beyond the books, they are unfortunately happy with letting the show coast on its own inertia towards a conclusion.
Surely Martin is at least still dictating the general direction of the storyline(s), given he's still working on the last 2 books in the series (why would he write something completely contrary to what's been done on the show)? :-k

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#282 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:21 am

He provided the showrunners with his outline for the rest of the series, but the TV show was already its own thing in comparison to the books-- see Bronn's prominence in the show, for one. And a certain alleged Targaryen prominent in the books is nowhere to be found (not to mention an undead Stark...)

aox

#283 Post by aox » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:30 am

domino harvey wrote:(not to mention an undead Stark...)
AU contraire!

jbeall

#284 Post by jbeall » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:49 pm

movielocke wrote:Another thing to consider is the deliberate invocation of slavery by cersei when negotiating with the iron bank. Braavos is founded on a fanatic anti slavery ethos, and she may have guaranteed they will not be on her side when she implies they profit off the slave trade.
See also this theory regarding the Iron Bank.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#285 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:17 pm

Oh, I really like that theory! Cersei is the precursor to someone who doesn't carry a balance on their MasterCard, only instead of slightly lower credit score, utter ruin

EDIT: The more I think about this, the better it is. I sure hope it pans out this way, as it's super clever and a great punchline to their house's motto

aox

#286 Post by aox » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:34 am

The problem with that Iron Bank theory is that she immediately took out a new loan to pay for the Golden Company (Season 8). So, the IB still has a vested interest in seeing Cersei/Lannisters succeed. Shame, I like that theory as well.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#287 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:40 am

Did she? I know she and what's his name from the Iron Bank exchanged pleasantries and promises to do business again, but couldn't Cersei just be assuming they'd back her play for the Golden Company based on misreading their interactions?

aox

#288 Post by aox » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:51 am

domino harvey wrote:Did she? I know she and what's his name from the Iron Bank exchanged pleasantries and promises to do business again, but couldn't Cersei just be assuming they'd back her play for the Golden Company based on misreading their interactions?

from the GOT Wiki (Yes, I know)
Now that the Lannisters' old debts will be mostly paid off, and the Iron Bank's faith in them somewhat reassured by their recent military victories, Cersei wants to take out new loans to strengthen her position in the war, so she can finish securing control over the rest of the continent. They discuss that Cersei wants to use the money to hire foreign Sellsword companies to bolster the depleted Lannister military ranks. Specifically, she reveals that she has had Qyburn make overtures to hire the best and largest private mercenary army in all of the Free Cities: the Golden Company. Tycho assures her that the Iron Bank will be delighted to help her with these future endeavors, once it receives the gold she is bringing them.
She does pay them with the gold acquisition from Highgarden. I think it is reasonable to assume the IB extended a new loan to Cersei to pay for the Golden Company in Season 8.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#289 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:55 am

Maybe. If you follow the Reddit thread used as the source for the article above, a member breaks down Tycho's comments to show they're carefully worded to be non-committal to Cersei and in favor of supporting the winning side

Luke M

#291 Post by Luke M » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:27 am

I was trying to find something comparable and apparently the Battle of Helm’s Deep in LOTR The Two Towers took 120 days to film.

movielocke

#292 Post by movielocke » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Not surprising, anything with fire takes a long time to shoot, because every practical effect involves a major reset for each new take and angle. Add in the complications of night shooting and oy.

Lost Highway

#293 Post by Lost Highway » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:10 pm

I'm not sure anything will ever top the Night Watch & Wildlings vs the White Walkers battle from season 5 for me.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#294 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:45 pm

Coster-Waldau says in Variety: “We spent twice as much shooting these six episodes than we did on two full seasons before.”

Murdoch

#296 Post by Murdoch » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:39 pm

That's enough to get me excited, and I lost interest in the main series around two seasons ago.

Big Ben

#297 Post by Big Ben » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:43 pm

The prequel series will consist entirely of Naomi Watts reading descriptions of food that GRRM has written. But seriously those are the sections I remember the most about the books.

In all honesty though there are hundred upon hundreds of years of history that took place well before the events of the the main books/show and frankly I'm now wondering if the show will be better or worse off because of it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#298 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:46 pm

I imagine this is the first of several big names that will appear, since everyone in Hollywood is well aware how lucrative it was to be part of the original

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#299 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:49 am

It's sort of like buying a stock when it's at its highest point - very strange move on Watts' part and any other high profile member(s) of the cast that join up - if Game of Thrones fatigue hasn't already begun to sink in for people, surely after the finale they'll feel as though they've had enough for a while. I predict this new series lasts a couple of years, tops, since it'll surely cost HBO a fortune

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#300 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:18 am

Huh? The show's never been more popular, and there's no reason to expect a spinoff to bomb or fizzle out. Sure, it could, but be careful ascribing your own burnout to the public's