Arrested Development

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Quot

Re: Arrested Development

#101 Post by Quot » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:31 pm

I watched all 8 episodes of the first half of the Season 5 drop...and I hope they don't pursue another season. Everything seems to be a callback to previous gags and there seems to be little forward momentum that isn't just outright tired. I can almost make an excuse for the storylines with Maeby, but only because Alia Shawkat is so good that she transcends most of the mediocre material she is given. I also love most of Tony Hale's scenes, which are few because of his busy schedule. Otherwise, the rest of the cast's contributions range from phoned-in to uninspired.

I don't like the fact that seasons 4 & 5 are starting to tarnish my estimation of the sublime first 3 seasons (although that third season had already started to display cracks in the armor). I will finish out Season 5 and hope that higher powers realize that this frequently fine series needs to finally be retired.

MoonlitKnight

#102 Post by MoonlitKnight » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:13 am

No, the show isn't what it used to be... and never will be as long as all 9 core cast members continue to be unwilling to completely clear their schedules in order to all be together at the same time for a full season's production. The focus seemed to be lacking here, and, while fewer stunt guest star appearances were a plus, the show's trademark zaniness seemed strangely toned down (something that Season 4 at least still retained). I personally thought Alia Shawkat was the MVP of this season; she seemed like the only one who grew her character any. But, at the end of the day, lesser AD is still head and shoulders above the best of most other sitcoms these days. This is all like lambasting "Godfather III" for not being on par with the first two. I still ultimately blame Fox for having no fucking idea how to market the show back in the day (granted, they probably wouldn't be any better today, either :roll:) for its current state.

Murdoch

#103 Post by Murdoch » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:28 pm

Shawkat: "I think I'm done." (This is apparently a few weeks old but it just popped up in my news feed.)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#104 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Pretty good timing, since the thud Season 5 arrived with (if a thud happens in the forest...) means the show's likely done anyway