Community

Discuss TV shows old and new.
YnEoS

Re: Community

#726 Post by YnEoS » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:02 pm

So what are everyone's thoughts on the last few episodes and the season overall? The G.I. Joe episode was probably my leave favorite community episode ever. I liked Season 5 overall more than Season 4, but I didn't think it was as good as some past seasons.

It's also kind of weird how the last several season finales seem incredulous towards the shows continued existence. In Season 3 it kind of made sense, but now it seems like the show keeps trying to hedge it's bets against cancellation and trying to give closure and wink at possibly being the last episode without completely resolving everything. Its stopped feeling like an ongoing series, and now each season feels like they're just timidly throwing out a few new scenarios with the characters without committing to the possibility of the show going on.

Murdoch

#727 Post by Murdoch » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:53 pm

I'll admit to laughing at the Dave Matthews gibberish-singing, and getting a little kick out of the tag at the end. But the finale didn't click for me, and I agree about the nature of the past finales. I understand each was made with the show under the threat of cancellation, but it's only led to the show trying to find something for it's characters to do the next season after the writers tried to resolve everything the last season. This season really felt the after-effects of the last finale, with the group staying around so they could... form a committee? It's kind of saddening to see the characters stuck in perpetuity at Greendale since the creators want the show to continue but don't know what to do with them outside of the college.

Andre Jurieu

#728 Post by Andre Jurieu » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:35 pm

I'm not really sure what the creators and the writing-staff are supposed to do when they have no idea if they will return in the fall. If NBC committed to anything past the next episode run, maybe they could build around that, but otherwise they would leave off with characters in limbo and the audience complaining about (or clamoring for) some sort of resolution. It's probably the best creative choice considering the circumstances.

I will say that this season did feel slightly repetitive, which is saying something for a show that has never had issues covering the same territory multiple times. Of course, I think I'm in the minority in enjoying both the homages to GI Joe and Fincher-movies. However, even though I enjoyed the execution of most of these concepts, it just felt that the same territory was being covered by the characters, and while everything worked much better than last season's gas-induced attempts to re-create the Harmon-style, I just hope Harmon can find some new dynamics between the characters next season. I will say that all the additions and returning guest-stars were incredibly well incorporated into the regular cast (but I'm completely biased when it comes to Oliver). Overall, it felt like a solid B of a season that I would likely actually give a B+ to just because I enjoy the ambition so much.

Murdoch

#729 Post by Murdoch » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Oh I don't think the creators and writers have any other choice, and I'm not blaming them for anything. It's just as a viewer I can't muster up much excitement for these season finales as each tries to wrap things up only for the characters to inevitably be back again at Greendale. Or maybe I'm just tiring of the show in general, who knows.

Mr Sausage

#730 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:40 pm

It was a lacklustre season finale (I only laughed once, at the mind hacking bit. That actor is genuinely funny). Despite the touted return of Harmon, this season wasn't much different from season 4: a small handful of decent episodes and a large amount of mediocre-to-bad episodes. It's such an inconsistent show that I can't get excited for it anymore. It's edging too close to being its own parody.

Andre Jurieu

#731 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:15 am

I thought it was a vast improvement in terms of being consistently funny - both within episodes and on a week-to-week basis - than Season 4.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#732 Post by Shrew » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:32 pm

I'd honestly rate Season 5 as about on par with Season 3, though their strengths are pretty different. Season 3 was a lot more ambitious, but I felt it had a pretty high rate of failure. As great as Remedial Chaos Theory is, there was still Pillows and Blankets, Vampire Mythology, Competitive Ecology, Advanced Gay, etc. It also really dropped the ball with the large-scale stuff--largely wasting John Goodman and Michael K. Williams, and featuring the most insufferable Chang subplot of any season (which is saying something).

Season 5 was more even, though that also means there were less highs. I agree it could feel tired and at times reheated, but its faults seemed more like those of an gracefully aging series than those of the desperately grasping season 4. At the very least, it used its guest stars a hell of a lot better than previous seasons.

Werewolf by Night

#733 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri May 09, 2014 3:32 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#734 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Mercy killing

Self

#735 Post by Self » Fri May 09, 2014 5:45 pm

This is the darkest timeline

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#736 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:10 pm

It's time.

Red Screamer

#737 Post by Red Screamer » Fri May 16, 2014 8:09 pm

The worst part of season 5 (and four for that matter) is the way it does such a disservice to the once-great characters and the talented actors who plays them. I just can't help feeling sorry for the cast, especially Danny Pudi, who's material is painful when it used to be genuinely touching and witty.

No wait, the worst part is how empty and ugly the series looks, not to mention the awful special effects. No wait, the very worst part is how in Season 5 the show is now an emotional-beat check list. It was so safe that it almost makes the first three seasons seem less ambitious and daring.

I'm glad zombie Community is done.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#738 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:13 pm

All but dead now-- good. If Sony couldn't get Happy Endings picked up at the height of its comic powers, it shouldn't be able to sell this long-DOA spectre

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#739 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:49 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#740 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Wow. Interesting that according to the article, the budget will actually be bigger than it was at NBC. Maybe if they take advantage of the greater freedoms of online programming it will exhibit some renewed freshness?

Moe Dickstein

#741 Post by Moe Dickstein » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:14 pm

Now there's just the movie left and the prophecy is fulfilled. Thank goodness. At the very least I'd like them to be able to make a series finale that they KNOW is the finale for sure.

Andre Jurieu

#742 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:Wow. Interesting that according to the article, the budget will actually be bigger than it was at NBC...
They keep updating the article with new material, but I did not get that sense from reading this:
Vulture wrote:Indeed, Vulture hears the production budget for Community’s sixth season will not be dramatically different than the most recent NBC season of the show.
I took that as meaning it's comparable, but not more. In fact the tone of the language seems to suggest it might be slightly less. That makes me worried that they would not be able to afford as many guest-stars.

Moe Dickstein

#743 Post by Moe Dickstein » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:28 pm

I think the sort of guest stars they want will work for scale. I'm interested to see how they deal with having what will basically be an R rated version of the show.

Andre Jurieu

#744 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:32 pm

Yeah, you're probably right on the guest-stars. By now they probably enjoy a pretty solid relationship with Harmon & McKenna.

bamwc2

#745 Post by bamwc2 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:11 am

The most shocking part of this news to me: Yahoo streams shows.

Murdoch

#746 Post by Murdoch » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:14 pm

Even more shocking: Yahoo still exists.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#747 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:45 pm

It's my home page

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#748 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:33 am

domino harvey wrote:It's my home page
Does the small text mean that the post was by Domino Harvey circa 2002? Or... are you okay?

flyonthewall2983

#749 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:42 am

domino harvey wrote:It's my home page
mine too

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#750 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:35 am

I had it as a default page for new tabs, at least until a couple weeks ago when I finally managed to remove the adware that was forcing it on me.

It was an insidious little SOB....