It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
 Post subject: Re: Twin Peaks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:21 pm 

I've found that Amazon often doesn't have movies I've pre-ordered in stock, specifically specialty titles or movies from niche labels. This isn't out of the ordinary at all. That doesn't make it less frustrating for people who want it today, but the Twitter crowd needs to chill out and just hit up their local Best Buy (every store in my area has it).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:24 pm 

This motivated me to just bite the bullet and order it from Amazon just in case they find a few extra boxes before it takes a while for it to be restocked. The closest Best Buy to me with one in stock is 29 miles away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:07 pm 

mfunk9786 wrote:
This motivated me to just bite the bullet and order it from Amazon just in case they find a few extra boxes before it takes a while for it to be restocked. The closest Best Buy to me with one in stock is 29 miles away.

My local Best Buy is 229 miles away. Given my situation I'll have to wait a very long time unless the two Wal-Marts in town decide to start selling this.

It's obviously understood by me that a manufacturer only makes a certain amount of something but how big must this demand be? And how badly did they underestimate?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:15 pm 

It's possible they didn't anticipate the amount of people who waited for a physical release to watch this and based production off of the TV ratings, which were poor.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:59 pm 

I have just received my copy of the Blu-ray set of Season 3/"A limited event series" and there is an interesting statement in tiny fine print on the back of the box (just above the BBFC logo on the UK version of the set) saying: "Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions". It sounds as if those who watched the show when it was broadcast might need to tell the rest of us what might have been changed!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:04 pm 

Lynch has edited his work before out of what he perceived was decency. Mulholland Drive was edited to darken sequences with Laura Henning's nude body. I don't know if that's what may have been possibly edited but Lynch has certainly edited after the fact before.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 pm 

colinr0380 wrote:
... It sounds as if those who watched the show when it was broadcast might need to tell the rest of us what might have been changed!

A few sex scenes were probably edited. There are two notable ones (being in the first and last episodes, respectively), but that first episode was pretty graphic, especially for a TV show. Lynch most likely changed it to remove some of the nudity.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:36 am 

I'm thinking the disclaimer could be referring to the fact that Showtime aired episodes one and two together as a two-hour premiere, but split them apart (adding credits to the first episode) for "On Demand" streaming; something similar was done for episodes three and four. The new box set was promoted as offering both viewing experiences ("Parts 1 and 2, and Parts 3 and 4 can be watched separately or conjoined as originally aired on Showtime on May 21st."), but, perhaps, the disclaimer was deemed necessary.

I seriously doubt Lynch would censor anything in the series. His alteration of the scene in Mulholland Drive was to prevent one nude shot from showing up on the internet once a home video version was released. Twin Peaks has already played on Showtime and its "On Demand" service so everything in the series has, or could potentially, show up on-line. If there was an issue with a corporate logo being used without permission ("Coca-Cola" in episode eighteen?), maybe it will be blurred out or obscured.

Now I wouldn't mind if Lynch tightened up a few scenes, but... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:16 am 

Was this release intended to be a limited edition? I wasn't under that impression.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:27 am 

No, but it could be that to get more printed it could take weeks. Guessing this is on a fair number of holiday wishlists.

Boosmahn wrote:
colinr0380 wrote:
... It sounds as if those who watched the show when it was broadcast might need to tell the rest of us what might have been changed!

A few sex scenes were probably edited. There are two notable ones (being in the first and last episodes, respectively), but that first episode was pretty graphic, especially for a TV show. Lynch most likely changed it to remove some of the nudity.

Why would he do this? They are still up on streaming, and were up for months, and I haven't heard anything about anyone upset at their involvement. So... why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:36 am 

I got an email from Amazon estimating the 21st now for my preorder. Not that that really means anything since they just kick the can down the road continuously when they can’t get something.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 am 

Oh, they didn't even send out all the preorders? Wow.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:58 am 

I preordered within a day of the listing going up and still haven't even received any communication from Amazon about the delay; when I log into my account it says expected delivery 12/15. I don't particularly care (I won't be able to dig into the extra for a while anyway) but it does seem like the ball was dropped by someone, somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:03 pm 

Amazon has been a little iffy lately on getting stuff right away it seems. Either not in stock or they have them in Europe or elsewhere, which means you won't get it for 2-3 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:27 pm 

For those in Canada, I had luck finding this Blu-ray at Sunrise Records yesterday. I cancelled my Amazon pre-order, as it was still showing without an estimated delivery date.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm 

mfunk9786 wrote:
Why would he do this? They are still up on streaming, and were up for months, and I haven't heard anything about anyone upset at their involvement. So... why?

There's certainly precedent but I think the above mention of the extra long beginning now being two episodes is more likely. We shall see!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:24 pm 

Well just got a shipping notice that estimated shipping date is now 12/18.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46