Who Gives Good Commentary?

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

Re: Who Gives Good Commentary?

#426 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:43 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:53 am
Probably because film length video essays are more costly then commentary tracks.
To be clear, I prefer a commentary track. Apart from watching the movie myself, there's nothing I like more than being guided by someone who's able to give me expanding perspective on what I'm seeing.

In that way, a good commentary track that focuses on the film as it unfolds (a rarity, unfortunately) is a bit like the tradition of commentaries by religious/philosophical scholars (West and East, modern or ancient) on old religious texts.

FrauBlucher

#427 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:57 pm

I'm not a fan of the shot for shot analysis. I don't need to be told what I'm seeing. I'd rather get back story and production info, while mixing in comments about the key scenes that are unfolding. Much like Schickel did with Double Indemnity on his very insightful discussion of Cain, Chandler and Wilder, while picking his spots to talk about the key scenes happening on the screen. Someone like Jim Kitses drones on about what I'm watching leaves me bored.

MichaelB

#428 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:11 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:57 pm
I'm not a fan of the shot for shot analysis. I don't need to be told what I'm seeing. I'd rather get back story and production info, while mixing in comments about the key scenes that are unfolding. Much like Schickel did with Double Indemnity on his very insightful discussion of Cain, Chandler and Wilder, while picking his spots to talk about the key scenes happening on the screen. Someone like Jim Kitses drones on about what I'm watching leaves me bored.
For me, it's a balancing act. All three of the Andrzej Wajda commentaries that I recorded for Second Run basically featured:

1. Close analysis of scenes that merited it;
2. Production info (inc, scripting and reception);
3. People info (potted biogs of key cast and crew, heavily slanted towards interesting anecdotes);
4. Relevant historical context about WWII;
5. Relevant historical context about 1950s Polish cinema (from both domestic and international perspectives);

...and then a ton of pre-planning to work out which bits should go where, although I do try to keep the commentary relevant to what's happening onscreen as much as I can. For instance, a biography of a cast and crew member is always inspired by something onscreen, whether it's an appearance by a particular actor, or a particularly noteworthy bit of lighting/design/editing. I've always fervently believed that a good commentary should feature a constant back-and-forth dialogue with the actual film - not always for the purposes of close analysis, but merely to provide regular affirmation that the commentator is watching the film with the viewer.

And here's a concrete example of my approach (from Kanal).

The other challenge with this particular project (my first multiple-commentary commission) was to keep repetition across the three tracks to the barest minimum (to allow for people listening to all three) while at the same time making sure that each one was comprehensible in standalone form - I don't know if Second Run is planning to issue them separately once the box set sells out, but it seemed sensible to allow for this upfront. Which meant that I unavoidably had to mention certain key details in all three commentaries - for instance, the broad-brush fact that the Polish Home Army had been widely discredited by the postwar Communist government for being anti-Soviet, as the political position of the individual films won't make sense without knowing that (bearing in mind that with films like this what's not shown or said can be just as significant as what is - indeed, the name "Home Army" itself isn't mentioned once in any of the films!) - but I deliberately split up the fine detail to where I felt it was most relevant. So in A Generation, you get the early history of the Home Army (1939-43), in Kanal, I go into much more detail about the crucial 1944 period, and in Ashes and Diamonds I talk about what happened to it towards and after the end of the war. Similarly, the early part of Wajda's life (1926-55) is covered in A Generation, with 1956-7 going on Kanal and 1958 and later going on Ashes and Diamonds.

Whether or not it works is for others to judge, of course, but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

headacheboy

#429 Post by headacheboy » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:14 am

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:11 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:57 pm
For me, it's a balancing act. All three of the Andrzej Wajda commentaries that I recorded for Second Run basically featured:

1. Close analysis of scenes that merited it;
2. Production info (inc, scripting and reception);
3. People info (potted biogs of key cast and crew, heavily slanted towards interesting anecdotes);
4. Relevant historical context about WWII;
5. Relevant historical context about 1950s Polish cinema (from both domestic and international perspectives);

...and then a ton of pre-planning to work out which bits should go where, although I do try to keep the commentary relevant to what's happening onscreen as much as I can. For instance, a biography of a cast and crew member is always inspired by something onscreen, whether it's an appearance by a particular actor, or a particularly noteworthy bit of lighting/design/editing. I've always fervently believed that a good commentary should feature a constant back-and-forth dialogue with the actual film - not always for the purposes of close analysis, but merely to provide regular affirmation that the commentator is watching the film with the viewer.

And here's a concrete example of my approach (from Kanal).

The other challenge with this particular project (my first multiple-commentary commission) was to keep repetition across the three tracks to the barest minimum (to allow for people listening to all three) while at the same time making sure that each one was comprehensible in standalone form - I don't know if Second Run is planning to issue them separately once the box set sells out, but it seemed sensible to allow for this upfront. Which meant that I unavoidably had to mention certain key details in all three commentaries - for instance, the broad-brush fact that the Polish Home Army had been widely discredited by the postwar Communist government for being anti-Soviet, as the political position of the individual films won't make sense without knowing that (bearing in mind that with films like this what's not shown or said can be just as significant as what is - indeed, the name "Home Army" itself isn't mentioned once in any of the films!) - but I deliberately split up the fine detail to where I felt it was most relevant. So in A Generation, you get the early history of the Home Army (1939-43), in Kanal, I go into much more detail about the crucial 1944 period, and in Ashes and Diamonds I talk about what happened to it towards and after the end of the war. Similarly, the early part of Wajda's life (1926-55) is covered in A Generation, with 1956-7 going on Kanal and 1958 and later going on Ashes and Diamonds.

Whether or not it works is for others to judge, of course, but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.
I just watched the trilogy this summer so I wasn't planning on rewatching it again so soon, however, when I saw that MichaelB was doing all three commentaries I suddenly had a great reason to rewatch them all again using the commentaries as a nice informative lesson on each of the films. I was excited when Second Run announced this set and now I have even more reason to be happily anticipating them again so soon.

FrauBlucher

#430 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:37 pm

Thanks MichaelB. Your example is something that I prefer in a commentaries. Historically relevant films probably makes your job harder but also gives you plenty of opportunities of discovery.

Maltic

#431 Post by Maltic » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:45 pm

Great job as usual, MichaelB.
FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:53 am
Probably because film length video essays are more costly then commentary tracks.

I listened to the Richard Schickel commentary of Double Indemnity and this time I enjoyed Schickel’s commentary. Largely because he seemed to focus on the literary aspect. His knowledge of Cain and Chandler was pretty thorough. I also believe his love for the film made him more interesting, unlike his commentary for Rebecca which he seemed to either not like or under appreciate.
You might be familiar with it already, but Leonard Leff's commentary (Criterion DVD/BD) is very good. He finds a way to incorporate Selznick and du Maurier without losing sight of the actual film at hand.

BTW, I listened to the track by academic Kelly Robinson on Second Sight's recent The Mummy (Hammer) release, which was basically a scripted lecture on the history of the mummy character in literature and popular culture. Not to single her out, it was well-researched and so on, and it may have been just what SS asked her to do, but why include it as a commentary? A downloadable mp3 would've been handy. Heller-Nicholas did the same on REC for Arrow. She even stated at the outset "I'm not gonna do what I usually do, this'll be a general lecture on found footage horror"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#432 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:02 pm

Both of your examples sound a lot better than the usual “Here’s what IMDB has to say about the guy who plays the waiter in this scene” and this is not a new practice. Seems odd to rail against something you admit had value just because you don’t like that it was called a commentary track. Labels aren’t generally in the practice of offering downloadable copies of on-disc extras, so that’s not really fair either

Maltic

#433 Post by Maltic » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:24 pm

I didn't mean to come off as railing, but I do think "commentary" is a misnomer when the track doesn't comment on the film at hand. When there isn't such a link between sound and image, I'd prefer to listen in the car or at the gym instead, but as you suggest, maybe there isn't a way to let me do that (easily/legally) which doesn't also carry too much of a risk of piracy. So be it..

Feego

#434 Post by Feego » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:17 am

To piggyback on what Maltic is saying, I'm not a big fan of this approach being done as a commentary either. I would rather have it as a visual essay or even just a filmed interview, perhaps with relevant clips or photos being shown during the lecture to illustrate the points being made. It seems like this would be better for the commentator as well, as they could make it as short or as long as need be and not tailor it to the specific length of a film that is not specifically the subject.

MichaelB

#435 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:16 am

I don't have the Second Sight edition of The Mummy, but surely the other commentary by Jonathan Rigby and Marcus Hearn comments directly on the film as it's playing?

(It would be a massive deviation from the Rigby/Hearn norm if it doesn't!)

In which case, what's the problem? You've got the shot-specific commentary and the wider contextual commentary, thus covering every base.

Maltic

#436 Post by Maltic » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:03 am

+ you get the Huckvale interviews.

I did listen to some of Hearn/Rigby. They go into the production and background a lot (from what I heard). Which is fine, probably what most Hammer fans are looking for.

I'm happy with the release overall, the film looks great etc. I don't have anything to add to what Feego and I already said about the other track

Dylan

#437 Post by Dylan » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:25 pm

I believe this is a good thread to ask this question. I was curious if any members here who have recorded audio commentaries for DVDs and/or Blu-rays can provide some information on what equipment and recording programs you use to record your tracks, and also possibly provide some recommendations for equipment.

As an aside, I have read that a reliable and lower budget way to create tracks is to use audacity as the recording program with a Fifine USB Podcast Condenser Microphone. I would be curious what some experienced members here thought of that set-up.

Thanks in advance for any help or response.

MichaelB

#438 Post by MichaelB » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:07 pm

Dylan wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:25 pm
I believe this is a good thread to ask this question. I was curious if any members here who have recorded audio commentaries for DVDs and/or Blu-rays can provide some information on what equipment and recording programs you use to record your tracks, and also possibly provide some recommendations for equipment.

As an aside, I have read that a reliable and lower budget way to create tracks is to use audacity as the recording program with a Fifine USB Podcast Condenser Microphone. I would be curious what some experienced members here thought of that set-up.

Thanks in advance for any help or response.
I've used various setups, but the one I'm happiest with involves a Blue Yeti microphone connected to my Mac via USB and mounted on one of those anglepoise-style stands, complete with pop filter, so it's suspended in front of the screen without getting in the way of my line of vision.

For software, I use Final Cut Pro X's Voiceover mode for the actual recording, having pre-loaded a copy of the film with subtitles burned in (this applies to English-language films as well; the film has to play in total silence at the time of recording to allow for post-production flexibility), and confirmed the final framerate with the commissioning label - even 24fps versus 23.976fps means a difference of a few seconds by the end. The advantage of this method is that I don't have to record everything in chronological sequence, I can maintain frame-precise control of the edit, I can fade up the film soundtrack if need be, and I can always shuffle bits around later on.

For instance, with Ashes and Diamonds there's a roughly three-minute section on the film's domestic and international reception that isn't synchronised to what's on screen, so it could go pretty much anywhere - and, as I gradually filled in the shot-specific stuff, I established its final position at a fairly late stage, even though it was one of the first things that I recorded. And when discussing the pioneering use of a squib in A Generation, I wanted to end on the actual bullet wound, as that mattered more than where that section started - and FCPX allowed me to do this very easily.

And then once it's in the can and I'm happy with the edit, I apply a bit of EQ to make my voice stand out a bit more, render and supply. I always deliver my commentaries as fully mixed and synchronised tracks that can simply be dropped into the build.

MichaelB

#439 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:29 am

The other great advantage of the FCPX approach is that I can insert markers into the video timeline and visibly see when a sync point's coming up as I record, which means that I don't fall into the trap of "OK, in this bit... hang on a minute, I thought it was now, but it seems that it's a bit later. Oh, here it is.", variations of which we've all doubtless heard.

I don't have to hit those sync points absolutely precisely during the recording, as the timing can always be tweaked later, but it's one of the reasons why my commentaries tend to be very shot-specific in a way that's much harder to pull off in a one-take live situation when someone else is editing and mixing the end result.

Watching the Kanal excerpt again, I recall that there were six predetermined sync points spread across just over two minutes, namely:

00:04 - "this cross" uttered when the cross is actually visible on screen;
00:15 - the two actors are now in position so I can briefly introduce them (Wieczysław Gliński gets a more elaborate bio later on, as he had a very interesting post-Kanal career as well).
01:05 - as the name Bartek is mentioned, I bring up that "Bartek" was a codename used in A Generation;
01:18 - as "the 56th day" is uttered, I discuss the likely real-life date in which these scenes take place, and contextualise it;
01:40 - "or indeed womanpower" is timed to accompany the cut to the female resistance fighter;
02:09 - for obvious reasons, my "whoa!" reaction to the revelation of the extent of her injuries was precisely timed to the frame.

But there are other sections where I'll go on for minutes with a much less precise visual accompaniment - for instance, the two-minute potted biog of Vladek Sheybal only needed to feature him onscreen for most of it - or indeed with no sync points at all, whenever I'm talking about the film in general.

This is why the planning process takes ages!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#440 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:32 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:38 am
After this outpouring of support, I will cautiously give her another chance and will happily rescind my denunciation if merited
True to my word, I merrily gave her commentary for Bresson's Jeanne d'Arc film a spin. I think the film sticks out like a sore thumb within the great run of films he had in this period, and unfortunately a revisit last night did not improve the film from my memories. I have a strong interest in filmic representations of Jeanne d'Arc and since the film is so brief, I felt this would be the best possible chance to find some value in an Ellinger commentary. Sadly, I did not walk away with much of a changed mind. It seems to me that Ellinger is not entirely comfortable with films outside of her existent zone of interest, which based on this commentary seems to be films of witches, nuns, and female oppression. Some of that comes into play here, but I thought this commentary went off the rails in the end as Ellinger goes down a rabbit hole about films on witches that is not as relevant here as she believes. Other than a few brief passing references to two other Jeanne d'Arc films, no other treatment of the story is given any weight, but we get long passages on the Song of Bernadette and Witchfinder General??? Some of her commentary on Bresson himself is interesting-- she calls him an arrogant director who nevertheless did not make arrogant films. Okay, tell me more, what is the basis for that? Evidence is thin as offered, and I am open to the idea as I think it's an intriguing one. But I have nothing to grasp for it. Framing Bresson within a feminist lens is promising too, but I don't think the case was made too convincingly here either. Ellinger also seems to take Bresson very much at face value and doesn't pushback on some of his claims and methods, as though he didn't spend quite a bit of energy cultivating his image and framing his remarks to bolster his preferred persona. So, overall: not the worst commentary I've ever heard, but I got nothing new out of it and I expected a lot fewer detours given the short running time. Fair?

Matt

#441 Post by Matt » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:14 am

I know more about Bresson than I do most other filmmakers, but I would never consider myself qualified to record commentary for a Bresson film. When people squander an opportunity like this (whether it’s to discuss their favorite martini or nunsploitation films) it gives me agita.

Bresson erected such a formidable facade for himself. Once you learn he did advertising photography for Chanel in the 1920s and once you read the press interviews he gave for his films in which he repeats almost identical talking points in each, you understand that the austere, forbidding moralist was a carefully managed public image. In fact, there’s a whole book about this, Colin Burnett’s “The Invention of Robert Bresson: The Auteur and His Market.”

Can’t believe the same person did Bresson’s Jeanne d’Arc, Chabrol’s Madame Bovary AND Leisen’s Easy Living, any one of which I would have killed to write about (for money). Well, I suppose not all hope is lost if maybe I could still do a commentary for Bryan Forbes’s The Whisperers…
Last edited by Matt on Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#442 Post by MichaelB » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:18 am

I turned down the chance to do a commentary for L’Argent, partly due to existing workload, but also because I just didn’t think I could do it justice within the circumscribed framework of a scene-specific commentary. I felt that a video essay would suit it better, not least because I’d be able to juxtapose elements from different parts of the film, so that’s what I did. (Our very own Chris was gratifyingly complimentary about the end result.)

I haven’t heard the Joan of Arc commentary, or indeed any other Bresson commentary. Or, come to think of it, any other Miklós Jancsó commentary besides mine, something that I really should remedy soon.

colinr0380

#443 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:37 am

Now that I know you like nunsploitation, I desperately want to know your thoughts on Verhoeven's Benedetta, Matt!

MichaelB

#444 Post by MichaelB » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:11 am

Although one commentary that I have been listening to with considerable interest is Annette Insdorf's for the Criterion Ashes and Diamonds.

I deliberately didn't listen to a single syllable prior to recording my own commentary for the Second Run edition, because I wanted to be certain that I hadn't been influenced by it in any way, but now that that the latter is out in the wild I was very curious to hear how she approached it.

So here's how we tackled the first few minutes.

OPENING CREDITS

AI:
I'm Annette Insdorf, Director of Undergraduate Film Studies at Columbia University, where I often teach Polish cinema. You're about to see Ashes and Diamonds, Andrzej Wajda's masterpiece of 1958, and the word "Kadr" - K-A-D-R - that's the name of the unit through which he made this film, because after World War II the Polish government created Film Polski, and Film Polski created individual units through which filmmakers could create their feature films. You might, for example, know the name "Tor" - T-O-R - from the films of Zanussi and Kieślowski. We see that in the central role of Maciek will be the actor Zbigniew Cybulski, and I'll be talking a lot about him because he is the heart, the soul, the conscience of this film. But first, a bit of political background. To understand how these events are unfolding, you should know that Poland was ruled, until 1939 at least, by Piłsudski, and then the Russians took over the eastern sections, according to a secret agreement in the Non-Aggression Pact. Well, after the fourth partitioning, a government-in-exile was formed in Paris, but France falls in 1940 and they move to London. In 1956, Gomułka came to power, and this period of de-Stalinisation coincided with Wajda's film Kanal. I'd also mention that the name Jerzy Wójcik you just saw as the cinematographer is very important. He was the cameraman on Kanal, Wajda's dark masterpiece that made just before, and his work in this film demonstrates a unique fact about Ashes and Diamonds: it is a brilliant blend of a visual style modelled on American film, or Western European cinematic technique as well, and of a particularly Polish story. The late 1950s had aspects of this in other countries as well, like Russia with The Cranes Are Flying.

MB: Hello and welcome to the commentary for Ashes and Diamonds, Andrzej Wajda’s third feature. I’m Michael Brooke, and over the next hour and three quarters I’ll be trying to unpick the complex weave of political, national, historical, diplomatic and artistic threads that make up this extraordinary film, still all but universally acknowledged as one of the greatest masterpieces of Polish cinema nearly seven decades after its original release. It began life as a 1948 novel by Jerzy Andrzejewski, who as you can see is the first name to appear in the credits – an important strategic device on Wajda’s part, since his decision to ask Andrzejewski to adapt his own novel was crucial to the film’s success. With Andrzejewski’s implied permission being advertised upfront, Wajda could take far more creative risks with what was already well on the way towards becoming a canonical literary classic, despite its relative youth. In fact, this was the fifth attempt at bringing it to the screen: other directors attached to the project included Wanda Jakubowska, Jerzy Zarzycki, Antoni Bohdziewicz and Jan Rybkowski. They’re all good directors – Jakubowska made The Last Stage, the first important film about the Holocaust, Zarzycki made Lost Feelings, one of the first films to be openly critical about a great Communist project, and so on – and so they might have turned out something worthwhile in its own right. However, it’s very likely that their versions would have been made and/or released during the 1949-56 period when Socialist Realism dominated pretty much everything to do with Polish cinema, and the tantalising ambiguities that pepper Wajda’s adaptation would probably have had to be toned down at best, and most likely eliminated. To emerge in its present form, Ashes and Diamonds needed to be greenlit during a more artistically liberal period, which came about in October 1956 when Poland’s then newly-appointed leader Władysław Gomułka, launched the so-called ‘Polish October’, an across-the-board reaction to strikes and other public protests that created the most liberal cultural environment that Poland had enjoyed since the twin Nazi and Soviet invasions of September 1939. Not coincidentally, the quality and adventurousness of not just Polish films, but creative projects right across the cultural sphere, improved dramatically, and the late 1950s is still regarded as one of Polish cinema’s golden eras.

OPENING SHOTS

AI: The film begins with the sign of the cross on top of a church, and the camera tilts down to reveal our characters. That's important, because it introduces the layering, almost geographical and perhaps ultimately cosmological, that Wajda uses throughout this film. On our right is Andrzej, on the left is Maciek, but notice all the way in the background, in focus, a little girl, a symbol of innocence. Deep focus photography is already being used in the first shot of Ashes and Diamonds, and this is one of the great examples of what Wajda learned from American films. He has said that he owes a great debt to the work of John Ford, of William Wyler, of Orson Welles, and, I would add, of the wonderful cinematographer that they share, Gregg Toland, who really pioneered the use of deep-focus photography in which the mid-ground and background are as much in focus as the foreground. This touch of innocence, of a little girl, will suddenly yield to the harsh political realities of the last day of World War II in Poland. Unlike Andrzej, all buttoned up, Maciek has a kind of comic looseness about him; he'd just as soon be lazing in the sun as committing a political assassination. The little girl will be banished from the frame, because the world of men, of violence, and of political assassination, will dominate.

MB: Now, I’m assuming that you’ve already seen the film at least once, so I don’t need to tell you how deceptive this bucolic opening shot is: you already know that these two men, Maciek Chełmicki, played by Zbigniew Cybulski, and Andrzej Kossecki, played by Adam Pawlikowski, are would-be assassins about to carry out a hit. Wajda deliberately withholds quite a bit of important information at this stage, especially the vital detail that the film mostly takes place on 8th May 1945, the day World War II ended, at least as far as Poland was concerned, and when all the old certainties started to evaporate. Wajda also withholds as much as possible about these people – later on in the film, there’s hardly a shot in which Maciek isn’t wearing his iconic dark glasses, but he’s taken them off here. You can see them on his head, but a first-time viewer probably wouldn’t notice until he actually puts them on. Why does this matter? Because dark glasses in the context of a Polish war film set after 1944 denote someone who had irreparably damaged his eyesight in the sewers of Warsaw when fighting the Nazis on behalf of the Polish Home Army – which of course had been the subject of Wajda’s second film Kanal. It’s a happy coincidence that, by the time that Ashes and Diamonds was made, shades denoted an indefinable sense of cool, especially in Western Europe and America – it certainly helped cement Cybulski’s image as an international screen icon – but that’s not how they would have been interpreted in 1945, and certainly not in Poland. One of the reasons why this film still seems so vibrantly alive is that it’s peppered with imaginative touches like this – this reaction to ants crawling over his gun helps humanise Maciek just before he does something decidedly inhuman. See also Andrzej’s rapport with the little girl, who he now has to shoo away because he doesn’t want her to see what he’s about to do.

THE ACTION BEGINS

AI: You should be aware that these men, Andrzej and Maciek, represent the AK, the Armia Krajowa, the Polish nationalist Home Army. During World War II, they constituted one of the two primary forms of resistance to Nazism. They, however, were also as much anti-Communist as they were anti-Nazi. Therefore, as World War II comes to its end, the Armia Krajowa has orders to murder the representatives of the Communist Party, those who are presumably going to lead the new Poland, but not while many Poles desire a free nation. You'll see now that, as this man is killed by the bullets, suddenly his body becomes fire. This is one of the theatrical touches, the self-conscious images, that Andrzej Wajda is prone to. His body falls into the church, and we're made aware of the fact that this place can no longer be a sanctuary in the violent and politicised Poland at the end of World War II. The men believe that they have killed the right people, so to speak, those that they were assigned to murder. We are soon going to find out that that was not the case, as will they. So Ashes and Diamonds begins, not with fulfilling a cause nobly, but rather with tragic waste.

MB: This lookout in the hat who’s gesturing frantically towards them is Drewnowski, played by Bogumił Kobiela – we’ll be seeing a lot more of him later on, but for now let’s just note that he’s pointedly avoiding doing the dirty work. Unlike them, he’s unarmed. And now the symbolism starts. It’s probably reading too much into this image to observe that the top of this telegraph pole looks like a cross, and that the man who’s just fallen out of the jeep took on a pose similar to him being nailed to one, but there’s nothing ambiguous about this shot: the smoke clears to reveal Christ looking impassively down over another innocent pawn of political machinations. Wajda would carry on using unashamedly religious iconography like this throughout his career, not least in Katyń, made nearly fifty years later, and it’s a reminder that, although Ashes and Diamonds was produced behind the Iron Curtain, Poland remained a profoundly spiritual and proudly Catholic country, regardless of what its government of the time liked to pretend. And here we have an absolutely iconic shot, as important a symbol of an entire era of Polish cinema – indeed, European cinema - as Marilyn Monroe’s dress billowing up over the subway grate was to 1950s Hollywood, and arguably as significant an image of a freedom fighter standing up for what he believes in as Albert Korda’s famous photograph of Che Guevara, which wouldn’t be taken for another couple of years. The chances are that you’ll have seen a still of Cybulski in shades with a machine gun long before you actually watched the film, and it outwardly seems conventionally heroic. But look at the actual context - he’s just shot an unarmed man in the back, at such close range that he’s burst into flames. Even before we’re told that the dead man was an entirely innocent victim of mistaken identity, this is surely the polar opposite of the thing that heroic role models are supposed to stand for, and an early instance of one of the film’s many ambiguities.

(So we clearly cover broadly similar ground and in a pretty similar way - which makes me even more glad that I didn't listen to her commentary before recording mine! Although one crucial difference is that Insdorf was recording a one-off commentary whereas I had a three-film canvas to play with, so I'd already tackled some of the topics that she raises - the film unit system, Polish WWII history and postwar history, the Home Army, the deep-focus cinematography - in considerable detail over A Generation and Kanal.)

yoloswegmaster

#445 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:25 pm

From Adrian Martin's Twitter:
Happy news for me in the 1st week of 2023: a USA DVD company that hasn’t called on my services for years just commissioned a new audio commentary from me. Can’t reveal the title yet, but it’s a good one.
I wonder who this company is :-s

beamish14

#446 Post by beamish14 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:31 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:25 pm
From Adrian Martin's Twitter:
Happy news for me in the 1st week of 2023: a USA DVD company that hasn’t called on my services for years just commissioned a new audio commentary from me. Can’t reveal the title yet, but it’s a good one.
I wonder who this company is :-s

Guessing Kino.

ChunkyLover

#447 Post by ChunkyLover » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:37 pm

I suspect Kino as well. Kino did commission him a commentary on "Joy of Learning".

yoloswegmaster

#448 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:42 pm

I figured it would be likely have been Kino, though I was hoping it would have Criterion calling on him to do a commentary for Eustache's Le Maman et la Putain

FrauBlucher

#449 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:42 pm

List of Martin's commentaries Why couldn't be Criterion?

ChunkyLover

#450 Post by ChunkyLover » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:44 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:42 pm
List of Martin's commentaries Why couldn't be Criterion?
Criterion never commissioned him for a new commentary as his commentaries that are on Criterion releases are archival.
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:42 pm
I figured it would be likely have been Kino, though I was hoping it would have Criterion calling on him to do a commentary for Eustache's Le Maman et la Putain
The Kino Lorber Insider did state that they were looking to re-pickup some OOP titles from their first MGM deal and I'm kind of hoping they called Martin for a new commentary on a remastered "Man of the West".