US based online stores w/ good packaging

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
vsski

#1 Post by vsski » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:51 pm

I have been scanning the forum but couldn’t find anything that fits the bill. If I overlooked it, Mods, please merge this to the correct thread.

I’m looking for a Blu Ray store in the US that carries the boutique labels like Arrow, Indicator, VS, Cinema Guild, Kino, Grasshopper, etc. and that ships internationally, preferably tracked, without charging an arm and a leg.
Here is the catch, it should provide solid packaging akin to what Indicator and Terracotta are doing in the UK. This means bubble wrap around the discs and then inside a proper sturdy carton box.
I’m tired of buying from Amazon, Rarewaves US or Arrow US, who simply throw the discs into a carton mailer or thin bubble wrap envelope that then arrive with dings and dents and broken plastic cases, even if it’s the sturdier digipacks.

I know Diabolik DVD does decent packaging, but their shipping rates are way too high (I’m currently in Japan).

Any recommendations?

ryannichols7

Re: US based online stores w/ good packaging

#2 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:56 pm

Orbit DVD is substantially better than Diabolik in my experience. I basically exclusively order from them, as it's really common to have the order shipped within an hour of ordering. the three times I ordered from Diabolik, it took days to shop in stock items. their packaging is terrific and substantial. whether it is affordable internationally or not is the question, but it seems they do ship worldwide

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:01 pm

I was also going to say Orbit for packaging quality but it looks like they would also charge a lot to ship to Japan (maybe $30-$100 depending on the size of the order)

vsski

#4 Post by vsski » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:55 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply. I had heard about Orbit and I think looked at their website once a year ago, but didn’t realize they package things so well - that is definitely good to know.

Unfortunately swo is correct in that they charge at least $30 to Japan which is twice what Amazon charges, but if it is a very special collector’s item it may be worth it.

ftsoh

#5 Post by ftsoh » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:30 pm

Kino's own online store is pretty good with packaging. Every order I received from them came in a box with nothing damaged.
However, I usually order 3-5 blu-rays during their sales. I am not sure if they would used bubble mailers for smaller orders.

therewillbeblus

#6 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:50 pm

Anybody know if Orbit restocks their site on multiple days of the week? My experience has always been alerts on Fridays only

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:56 pm

Individual titles can get restocked any day of the week. I just checked my text notifications and they're all over the place, even sometimes on weekends

therewillbeblus

#8 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:56 pm

Cool, thanks!

unclehulot

#9 Post by unclehulot » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:03 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:Anybody know if Orbit restocks their site on multiple days of the week? My experience has always been alerts on Fridays only
They post to their Facebook account with stock updates pretty often. That seems to be the best way to keep track of things. Their packing of the Arrow Bruce Lee set was fantastic…no corner dings for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk