Netflix (DVD Delivery Discussion Only)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#126 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:01 pm

I rented Mishima from Netflix and received the Criterion

MyNameCriterionForum

#127 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:28 pm

swo17 wrote:Hmmmm...I'd forgotten about the library (haven't used it in ages).
This is the most disheartening thing I've ever read on this forum.

psufootball07

#128 Post by psufootball07 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:03 pm

If Mishima is placed in the wrong DVD cover, and in fact is the Criterion release, can anyone confirm or deny whether the Juliet of the Spirits DVD is in fact the Criterion or some other release?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#129 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:12 am

Guys, if it's still getting shipped out, the odds are very good that you will be sent the most recent version of the film.

bkimball

#130 Post by bkimball » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:06 am

psufootball07 wrote:If Mishima is placed in the wrong DVD cover, and in fact is the Criterion release, can anyone confirm or deny whether the Juliet of the Spirits DVD is in fact the Criterion or some other release?
I rented Juliet of the Spirits about a month or two ago. I can confirm that the DVD was the Criterion edition. Does that help?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#131 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:35 am

I got this email today:
Netflix wrote:As a member of the Chavez vs. Netflix settlement class, you will receive a free upgrade to the next plan level for one month. Assuming your membership remains active for the remedy period, this benefit will automatically start with your next billing period and will appear in your Membership Terms and Details page.

No further action is necessary on your part.

NOTE: If your Netflix account is on hold, your upgrade will automatically apply for the next billing period after you remove your account hold.

Learn more about this settlement at: http://www.netflix.com/settlement

-The Netflix Team
So now I know why they've been throttling me again lately.

Perkins Cobb

#132 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:45 pm

domino harvey wrote:Guys, if it's still getting shipped out, the odds are very good that you will be sent the most recent version of the film.
Is this really true? In my experience, when an OOP title was upgraded, if they got a reissued edition it would be integrated into their surviving stock of the old version, and you'd have know way of knowing which one you'd get. Whether or not they changed the cover art on the site was irrelevant.

For the most part, this has caused me to stop Netflixing Criterion (and other) reissues, and just rent them from brick-and-mortars instead, so I haven't had much recent experience with this frustration -- but I can report that a friend rented Shoot the Piano Player from Netflix about a month ago and received the old Fox Lorber, not the Criterion.

psufootball07

#133 Post by psufootball07 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:50 pm

Weird, I received Shoot the Piano Player Criterion edition about a month and a half ago.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#134 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:51 pm

I didn't say it's infallible, but think about it for most cases: If the old disc is out of print and wasn't available on Netflix right before the Criterion was issued, why would you ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever assume you would be getting the old out of print edition that sells for $$$$ on second-hand sites? If the disc is of a film that was still available from Netflix before Criterion reissued it, the Criterion will get folded in and eventually replace the old disc because people lose discs, they get scratched, &c.

Perkins Cobb

#135 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:30 pm

Right ... so the longer you wait before you try to catch a copy of the new one, the better. And I guess if you request all the copies of, say, Pierrot le Fou from your local distribution center and smash 'em all before returning them, you'll eventually receive a Criterion in the mail....

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#136 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:26 pm

Pierrot le fou is a perfect example of what I was just talking about. It wasn't available from Netflix before the Criterion was released. So if you love otiose actions, by all means smash a Criterion to receive a Criterion 8-)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#137 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:04 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:Right ... so the longer you wait before you try to catch a copy of the new one, the better.
Um, yeah. I actually got Pierrot from Netflix the week Criterion released it, and it was the Criterion.

Donald Brown

#138 Post by Donald Brown » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:21 pm

Just saw this notice at the top of my queue:
IMPORTANT: Your DVD shipments might be delayed…

We're sorry to report that we've been experiencing issues with our shipping system, so some of you are not receiving DVDs in a timely manner and some of you have not received emails letting you know we got a DVD back from you.

We apologize and we'll be automatically issuing credits to all of you whose shipments have been delayed. Our goal is to ship DVDs as soon as possible and to provide a personalized email update to you if your DVD shipment was delayed.

We're sorry for any inconvenience we've caused you and thank you for your patience.

The Netflix Team

Perkins Cobb

#139 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Aha, I see your misconception now, Domino. When Netflix's inventory on OOP DVDs drops below a certain level, they'll take it out of circulation and mark it as "save" instead of "add" on their website. But if a new edition comes out, they'll add whatever was left of the old versions back into the inventory along with the new ones. So you can still get a crappy Fox Lorber Pierrot Le Fou, although I guess your chances are slimmer than with something that stayed in print closer to its Criterionization (like those awful Pioneer Cassavetes DVDs).

AisleSeat

#140 Post by AisleSeat » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:51 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:When Netflix's inventory on OOP DVDs drops below a certain level, they'll take it out of circulation and mark it as "save" instead of "add" on their website.
Interesting. As I know little of Netflix's internal affairs, may I ask where and how you learned of such a OOP policy? I'm not saying what you state is not accurate, but I am curious.

What is this "certain level" below which an OOP title is taken out of circulation? Even with only 15 or 25 copies of a particular film on hand, hundreds of subscribers each year would have access to it. I could imagine some OOP titles becoming valuable and a few unscrupulous subscribers purloining the DVD, claiming they never received it. But I wonder how often this actually occurs?

It seems to be in Netflix's best interest to keep a title listed as "available" for as long as possible. Sadly, once a title has gone out of print, it could be years before there's a reissue. The longer Netflix keeps an OOP title available to subscribers, the more they gain in terms of competitive advantage.

psufootball07

#141 Post by psufootball07 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:30 pm

Anyone else having Netflix problems right now? I saw on another message board that this thing is wide spread right now. They say theyll give credit for them not shipping out DVDs, but seriously this sucks, well at least I still have all the extras to go through on Mishima and Vampyr for the library.

Murdoch

#142 Post by Murdoch » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:39 pm

psufootball07 wrote:Anyone else having Netflix problems right now? I saw on another message board that this thing is wide spread right now. They say they'll give credit for them not shipping out DVDs, but seriously this sucks, well at least I still have all the extras to go through on Mishima and Vampyr for the library.
Yeah, I got an e-mail about it, what do they mean by credits though?

psufootball07

#143 Post by psufootball07 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Yeah, thats what I was wondering. I've heard it could be really slow moving the next 2 weeks, whether they refund money or give us an extra 2 weeks, I dont know.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#144 Post by lacritfan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:48 pm

psufootball07 wrote:I've heard it could be really slow moving the next 2 weeks...
Two weeks? Crap, there goes trying to time it so I get Salo before it becomes a Very Long Wait.

psufootball07

#145 Post by psufootball07 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:04 pm

You can watch the most of the film of Salo on Youtube. That is if you so desire.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#146 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:09 pm

Jesus, two weeks? Thank God I have a backlog of movies here for just such an emergency.

psufootball07

#147 Post by psufootball07 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:13 pm

Thats just what I heard on another board where someone who talked with Netflix said that this may be due to some new addition to the instant viewing.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#148 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:20 pm

I don't use instant viewing, gimme me my movies now!

Y'know, just in case Netflix is reading this

Svevan

#149 Post by Svevan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:12 am

Instant viewing isn't bad, but it's not compatible with Macs goddammit. Netflix has promised compatibility ever since insta-viewing came out over a year and half ago.

psufootball07

#150 Post by psufootball07 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:51 am