It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Frederick Wiseman on DVD
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:09 pm 

Any word on the Wiseman Volume 2 set? A similar subtitle situation as the first one?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:21 pm 

June 28 Blaq Out emailed me the following:
Quote:
Thank you very much for your order.
There have been some hitches in the production of the boxset, therefore engendering a delay in the reception. I know you received a shipping confirmation of your order but it was a mistake from our webshop, everything will be sent in the week of the 11th July. You'll be informed right after.

Thank you for your patience.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:40 am 

Just got volume 2 of the Blaq Out set and every film has softsubs this time out. Unfortunately I can't tell you if they're forced or not, since my only multi-region player is an HTPC and forced subs are a non-issue for me (I don't know any way to determine if a subtitle track is forced without digging around in the program chains, which I don't have time for at the moment).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:19 pm 

Did you receive an email notification that your set had shipped? I got the June 28 email about the delay but no email informing me my copy shipped out later on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:54 am 

Blaq Out had a system issue, sending dispatch e-mails to customers while they actually didn't. They receive their stock of boxsets last week only, actually.
I guess for some people, it might have been the other way around and they never received an email at all.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:21 am 

Volume 3 is set for release November 15th.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:50 pm 

Anyone else still waiting on Volume 2 to arrive? Hopefully mine shows up this week or I'm going to be a little concerned.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:06 pm 

Has anyone ordered the Zipporah BD of In Jackson Heights? There's no hope it's pressed unlike the past ones, right?

(In case anyone's curious, anyway, Peter Labuza's tweeted that Wiseman revealed at Q&A today he's currently busy making his next film, focused on the New York Public Library (for some reason I had thought that he was retiring, but apparently otherwise))

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:39 am 

Yes, Wiseman said that to us too when he did a Q&A in France a few months ago. IIRC he was at the editing stage.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:17 am 

Ribs wrote:
Has anyone ordered the Zipporah BD of In Jackson Heights? There's no hope it's pressed unlike the past ones, right?

(In case anyone's curious, anyway, Peter Labuza's tweeted that Wiseman revealed at Q&A today he's currently busy making his next film, focused on the New York Public Library (for some reason I had thought that he was retiring, but apparently otherwise))

I purchased the Blu Ray and it's a Blu Ray-R disc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:24 pm 

Oedipax wrote:
Anyone else still waiting on Volume 2 to arrive? Hopefully mine shows up this week or I'm going to be a little concerned.

Well, still waiting. One email to BlaqOut went unanswered.

Update: They did get in touch - seems like the package was returned to them finally, and had an erroneous address for some reason or other. They're re-sending and even offered an extra DVD for the trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:59 pm 

I would have bought these if it weren't for the subtitle issue. (Or more precisely, lack of options for English-speaking consumers as this is really a non-issue for its intended French audience.) Volume Three also has no subtitles for several titles because they are already in French.

I was debating on finally buying these on DVD-R rather than spending $15 at a time for a single cinema screening, but I'm really hoping this French set is a sign that perhaps an English language DVD set may very well happen in the near future.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:58 pm 

FWIW, I saw a small bit of Near Death earlier this week - a roommate of a friend had a copy he purchased from Wiseman. Criterion should definitely consider reissuing this (maybe as an Eclipse title), and doing a proper transfer, because the current DVD looks like video tape. If this was, say, a bootleg and the only way to see the film, it wouldn't be terrible, but this looks like a DVD encode of a very, very old video transfer of what's actually a film shot on 16mm film stock. Not a trace of film grain anywhere. Criterion's done great work with new transfers of D. A. Pennebaker's 16mm films (look at the film grain on The War Room, filmed only three or four years after Near Death) - this is what Near Death can look like, but it doesn't, not even close.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7