It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:55 pm 

TMDaines wrote:

It's easy to point and laugh, but would we do any better talking about a medium that we've spent next to no time with? I imagine I'd be equally crap about computer games or modern dance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:12 pm 

Blu-Ray.com managed to find the one person who liked The Book of Henry to review its Blu-Ray release.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:47 am 

And yet, reading it, it's sometimes hard to know if it's supposed to be a serious review written straight faced when you can find things like this :
Quote:
Eleven-year-old Henry is sharp as a tack, smarter than not only anyone else in school but more capable than most any adult. He takes care of the family finances and has gamed the stock market and made his family very rich. But his mother Susan refuses to live in luxury. She refuses to give up to her run-down car and waitresses for next to nothing compared to what Henry has made for her, even if her time could be better spent taking care of Henry and her other son, Henry's younger brother, Peter.

If you weren't sure this seems like a pretty dumb movie, here you are.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:18 pm 

Martin Liebman on Stranger Things is hilariously bad

Quote:
Stranger Things is an amazing show in a Twin Peaks meets something like The Thing and The Evil Dead (both of which have posters featured prominently in the show) meets Super 8 meets Insidious with a decidedly Spielberg flair and flavor. ... It's also overflowing with twists and turns, new ideas, fantastic narrative execution, an engaging and unique character roster, exceptional acting, a frightening central plot, and endless mystery.

Quote:
A great score, exceptionally conceived characters, wonderful acting, plenty of intrigue, lighting-quick pacing, balanced scares, infectious humor...the show has it all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:00 pm 

"In conclusion, this has been my book report on Stranger Things."

(If I turn my head to the side and squint hard enough, I can almost - ALMOST - convince myself that Liebman's poor writing is an attempt at critiquing the empty nostalgia I gather the show fuels itself on. Alternatively, Liebman needs to be sent to re-learn structure, Clockwork Orange-style.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:37 am 
Dot Com Dom

The Blu-ray.com reviewer of Portrait of Jennie doesn't understand the climactic sound mix, something discussed thoroughly in the commentary he alleges to have listened to in grading the extras...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:56 am 

Brian Orndorf is the guy who writes [horrendous] theatrical movie reviews for them and that is far from the only thing he doesn't understand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:32 pm 

From Amazon, on Gus Van Sant's Elephant. The last line in particular is great.

Quote:
Not sure why this movie won the Palme d'Or at Cannes...although it is the French who gave the award, so that explains alot.

Anyway, what you have here is 80 of the most boring, pointless minutes you will spend in your life. You will wish you could have these minutes back, but alas, will eject this DVD from your player and just stare at it mournfully.

As another reviewer stated, this film is a series of shots showing kids walking school hallways, walking to school, driving to school, talking about nothing in particular, almost like an unedited version of The Real World. It is supposed to depict the events leading up to a Columbine-style shooting, but it is so monotonous watching and listening to these moronic kids, I was rooting for the killers to waste even more of them by the time the carnage begins. I was disappointed the annoying blond haired kid escaped the killers' wraith (Oops! Spoiler!).

Gus Van Sant, who is hit or miss (remember his appaling remake of "Psycho?), is in an apparently existential mood with this film, but it is so artsy and self-indulgent, it is not entertaining nor thought provoking, but instead soporific.

Finally, can someone please explain the title of the movie to me? Is it a metaphor for "the elephant in the room" that no one wants to address, or is it the fat kid who gets whacked?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143