All That Jazz

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Narshty

All That Jazz

#1 Post by Narshty » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:33 pm

All That Jazz (R1 Music Edition) in April

Features:
1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English & French DD2.0 Stereo
Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary with Film Editor Alam Heim
Portrait Of A Choreographer
Perverting The Standards
Making of the Song 'On Broadway'
Movie-ole 'Take Off With Us'
Music Machine (access musical numbers through scene selection)
Bob Fosse Gallery
Production Snapshots Gallery

It seems to ditch the supplements from the first release (the Roy Scheider commentary at any rate), but hopefully a couple of those featurettes will be really meaty.

Highway 61

#2 Post by Highway 61 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:22 am

I just bought the old release a couple of months ago, but since I loved the film so much I might cave in, especially if there's any good archival interviews with Fosse included.

Gordon

#3 Post by Gordon » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:30 am

Scheider's commentary is candid and very interesting, so it's a shame that it hasn't been retained for this new edition. It's a highly unique film in almost every way with gorgeous cinematography by Rotunno (Storaro won that year) and Scheider is awesome - he should have won the Oscar, frankly (Dustin Hoffman won for Kramer vs. Kramer). Alam Heim won for his precise editing and it is always great to hear from the editor, as they seldom get to share their thoughts on the films they worked on.

Gigi M.

#4 Post by Gigi M. » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:22 am

tavernier

#5 Post by tavernier » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:01 am

That's an ugly-looking orange.

Christmas Cyclops

#6 Post by Christmas Cyclops » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:28 pm

Bob Fosse Film?

They want us to fill it in?

Matt

#7 Post by Matt » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:07 pm

Beaver

Shocking. I saw the restored print right before the first DVD edition came out and that DVD transfer was very faithful to the image. This new one looks like a total mess. I can't imagine Rotunno would ever have used a blue-green filter or would have underexposed the film so.

I've just canceled my preorder. Between this and The Gang's All Here, I've lost all faith in Fox.

Gigi M.

#8 Post by Gigi M. » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:24 pm

Men, that's horrible. I'm keeping my old - great disc.

Michael

#9 Post by Michael » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:50 pm

Men, that's horrible. I'm keeping my old - great disc.
I put up my old disc for sale some time ago ...how glad I am now that no one bought it! The new print is disgusting! Nothing about it looks right at all.

Antoine Doinel

#10 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:29 pm

Gigi M. wrote:Great cover!
What is "Special Music"?

justeleblanc

#11 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:29 pm

Its strange Gary didn't mention the NIGHT VISION GOGGLES you need to watch the new edition. Can anyone else confirm if it is in fact really this horribly dark?

skuhn8

#12 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:21 am

davidhare wrote:What the fuck are Fox doing? Gang's all Here "improved" by darkening it to the point of obliterating all color except blue, and now this total rubbish.

I can assure anyone who wonders I saw ATJ theatrically several times and the old DVD is a perfectly good representation of the color and lighting.

Are Fox employing optically challenged DVD producers and Telecine Operators? WHAT is this!!
...or perhaps they're trying to 'correct' the film for all those stupid dolts who insist on jacking the brightness up on their widescreen plasmas--you know, to make it really come alive? I wouldn't be surprised if companies are looking (too closely) into customer viewer habits. Russians with their forced 5.1 remixes (da! DA! surround!), the CC with windowboxing, and some companies cropping old movies for widescreen viewing, which is ironic but not too surprising considering they did it the other way round for decades.

Michael

#13 Post by Michael » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:46 pm

Today I looked the back of the dvd case at the Barnes and Noble. There is a row of images/pics from the film that look nothing like dvdbeaver's new screen caps. They are all in vivid colors and bright, the way they should be.

devlinnn

#14 Post by devlinnn » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:45 pm

This new edition is getting a release down here later in the month (Aust R4) - fingers crossed Fox will be their normal lazy self and will decide not to bother with the new transfer, and just throw on the bonus material to the old one.

devlinnn

#15 Post by devlinnn » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:07 am

Mmmmm, these look the same to me. The local R4 editions (taken from the UK disc)

Old
New

New edition includes added material.

justeleblanc

#16 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:15 am

Michael wrote:Today I looked the back of the dvd case at the Barnes and Noble. There is a row of images/pics from the film that look nothing like dvdbeaver's new screen caps. They are all in vivid colors and bright, the way they should be.
Me too. I'm curious as to whether or not anyone who has the current edition can vouch for beaver's screencaps.

Matt

#17 Post by Matt » Fri May 04, 2007 11:53 am

Just for reference, here are two of my own screencaps from the new SE. Compare to DVD Beaver. Having scanned through the whole film on the new disc, I can verify that it looks very dark throughout.

Ashirg

#18 Post by Ashirg » Wed May 09, 2007 9:33 am

malcolm1980

#19 Post by malcolm1980 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:28 am

I have the old release. Is this worth the double-dip?

devlinnn

#20 Post by devlinnn » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:04 am

Not if you take into account the new, dark transfer on the R1. Also, the new edition seems to eradicate any mention of Mr. Roy Scheider in the supplementary material, which plays heavily to the 'dancer'. Maybe he wanted some extra $$$, but they should have at least kept the old commentary.

But fanatics need both, as the Alan Heim commentary is above average, and full of small details only someone in his position would know (eg. the address on the pills is Bob Fosse's own NY address / the editing suite in the movie is their own / Fosse was in hospital as Lenny opened a few doors down the street, mirroring the effect in All That Jazz, etc. etc.)

Plus, Liza is on the new edition. Liza with a Z.

malcolm1980

#21 Post by malcolm1980 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:49 am

Thanks. I'm not a fan of keeping two editions of the same movie. I usually keep the better one (more jampacked, etc.). The loss of the Scheider commentary and the darker transfer makes me think this edition isn't worth it.