Werner Herzog on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
blindside8zao

#76 Post by blindside8zao » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm

I'm about finished with the second Herzog box and would really really like to see more. Is there really any other good option besides the expensive german box?

jesus the mexican boi

#77 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:07 pm

blindside8zao wrote:I'm about finished with the second Herzog box and would really really like to see more. Is there really any other good option besides the expensive german box?
You can see the trio of short docs* on New Yorker DVD, or GESUALDO, or GRIZZLY MAN, or WHERE THE GREEN ANTS DREAM (next week)--all on DVD. Netflix or Nicheflix?

*The Great Ecstasy of the Woodcarver Steiner, How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck, La Soufriere

tryavna

#78 Post by tryavna » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:09 pm

New Yorker also released Herzog's first feature film, Signs of Life.

blindside8zao

#79 Post by blindside8zao » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:52 pm

would you recommend all of these over the two most recent documentaries? Er, meaning Wild Blue Yonder and the other one. Not Grizzly Man.

tryavna

#80 Post by tryavna » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:18 pm

To be honest, I haven't seen the other two recent docus yet, so I couldn't compare. However, Signs of Life is well worth a rental. It's amazing just how wholly Herzogian it is despite being his first feature -- in other words, it's quite rewarding for fans. That being said, New Yorker's DVD leaves a little to be desired. The print is beautiful, and it boasts a commentary with Herzog and Norman Hill. But it's heavily interlaced and doesn't include any of Herzog's early shorts -- a missed opportunity on the part of New Yorker, IMO.

jesus the mexican boi

#81 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:34 am

jesus the mexican boi wrote:Amazon is listing WHERE THE GREEN ANTS DREAM with a release date of April 25 from some outfit called Tango Entertainment. Tango's website doesn't list it, though. Anyone have any other verification of this? Specs?
I pre-ordered this and it still hasn't shipped. Has anyone picked this up?

Even Amazon.com is listing it as shipping in 7 to 13 days. Barnes&Noble.com lists it as unavailable.

sevenarts

#82 Post by sevenarts » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:47 pm

just got the Herzog Docs & Shorts box set, this thing is great. the flimsy packaging and lack of extras is a knock against it, maybe, but otherwise it's amazing to actually own all these films that i figured i'd never see, or at least not for a long time. and the transfers all seem decent enough considering the age and roughness of herzog's working methods. one weird thing, anybody notice that werner herzog eats his shoe has been dropped from the set? the outside box has a sticker covering up the title, and it's not on the set anymore. not that i care since i have criterion's burden of dreams, but i wonder what happened.

planetjake

#83 Post by planetjake » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:22 am

For anyone interested... I consider The White Diamond to be the finest film of this decade so far. Anyone who hasn't seen it, go out at get it any way you can today. Far superior to Grizzly Man.

I REALLY want to see Wild Blue Yonder...

sevenarts

#84 Post by sevenarts » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:47 am

planetjake wrote:For anyone interested... I consider The White Diamond to be the finest film of this decade so far. Anyone who hasn't seen it, go out at get it any way you can today. Far superior to Grizzly Man.

I REALLY want to see Wild Blue Yonder...
yea, the white diamond is really great, definitely ranks among herzog's best films. i'm so excited for wild blue yonder, anyone know when that's due for DVD?? it looks absolutely amazing from the stills i've seen.

putney

#85 Post by putney » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:14 pm

wild blue yonder is really really terrific. it's a slight change of pace in subtle ways for him. i think it's still doing the festivals for a while...

putney

jesus the mexican boi

#86 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:33 pm

putney wrote:wild blue yonder is really really terrific. it's a slight change of pace in subtle ways for him. i think it's still doing the festivals for a while...

putney
Yeah, it just played a festival in Argentina, and I couldn't find any info anywhere about a DVD release.

jesus the mexican boi

#87 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:58 pm

And it's going to be playing in Seattle as part of a Herzog slate in August:

Aug. 18-31: Calls of the Wild: Werner Herzog in Four Parts

When one of the actors took ill and the production of "Fitzcaraldo" suffered a minor setback, maverick filmmaker Werner Herzog declared, "If I abandon this project I would be a man without dreams and I don't want to live like that: I live my life or I end my life with this project." Fortunately, Herzog finished the film, which became an international sensation both for its content and its novel approach to filmmaking.

Herzog is as much a state of mind as he is a filmmaker. He is clearly a man willing to tackle the call of the wild, whether embodied in the form of Klaus Kinski, whose combative nature charges the rarely seen "Cobra Verde," or in the Kuwaiti desert, as witnessed in the timely documentary, "Lessons of Darkness." Perhaps in his latest outings he attempts to tame his wild side. With "Wheel of Time," Herzog's mind melds with the Buddhist spirituality of Tibet, and in his latest eco-fable, "Wild Blue Yonder," he muses about vacating the planet we may very well have already destroyed.

Series passes available for $20, $12 NWFF members.

More info here:
http://www.nwfilmforum.org/cinemas/herzog.php

Anonymous

#88 Post by Anonymous » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:17 pm

WBY will supposedly be released this winter by Subversive Cinema/RYKO, see message #25:

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/showth ... 266&page=2

It's a great film.

jesus the mexican boi

#89 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:02 am

Great news. Norman Hill of Subversive Cinema and who also co-commented w/Herzog on the Anchor Bay discs sez to expect the disc in late winter from Subversive & Ryko. Should include a commentary by Hill, Herzog and Brad Dourif. How cool is that?

tryavna

#90 Post by tryavna » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:50 am

jesus the mexican boi wrote:Great news. Norman Hill of Subversive Cinema and who also co-commented w/Herzog on the Anchor Bay discs sez to expect the disc in late winter from Subversive & Ryko. Should include a commentary by Hill, Herzog and Brad Dourif. How cool is that?
Yes, this is good news. Hill and Herzog make a good team. They're obviously comfortable with one another during commentaries, and although there's some overlap among their commentaries, Hill has a knack for keeping Herzog on track and asking useful leading questions.

kekid

#91 Post by kekid » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:07 pm

sevenarts wrote:just got the Herzog Docs & Shorts box set, .......one weird thing, anybody notice that werner herzog eats his shoe has been dropped from the set? the outside box has a sticker covering up the title, and it's not on the set anymore. not that i care since i have criterion's burden of dreams, but i wonder what happened.
My Herzog box contains "Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe". Perhaps some kind of rights issue came up after the initial copies were sold.

Anonymous

#92 Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:37 am

jesus the mexican boi wrote:Great news. Norman Hill of Subversive Cinema and who also co-commented w/Herzog on the Anchor Bay discs sez to expect the disc in late winter from Subversive & Ryko. Should include a commentary by Hill, Herzog and Brad Dourif. How cool is that?
Is there an echo in here?

Kay Hoog

#93 Post by Kay Hoog » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:57 pm

Can be bought online for £14.99 (for those that don't have access to Music Zone)

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/simpleSearc ... imaryID=-1

Note: British version does not include Lessons of Darkness and Little Dieter Needs to Fly? See thread on Anchor Bay

DDillaman

#94 Post by DDillaman » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:04 am

So anyone picked up the R4 version of the docos and shorts box set yet? I finally have enough money to order it, but the only Aussie e-tailer I know shows it out of stock, and it hasn't made it to any Kiwi B&M stores yet ...

richast2

#95 Post by richast2 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:38 am

has anyone seen the R1 Green Ants DVD? Amazon is now listing it as in stock.

jackson_browne

#96 Post by jackson_browne » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:12 pm

Has Aguirre gone out of print? I was finally thinking about getting around to making my first Herzog purchase and I noticed that most online DVD stores don't list this one anymore. Amazon still has it for $26.99, but I'm wondering if there is any word about a possible rerelease in the near future. Any info on this?

It is still available in the Herzog/Kinski box set though, which is priced very reasonably, so I may pick that up. I do have a question about that packaging though. Are the films in the box included in separate regular sized cases? Or are they in some kind of slim cases or just a cardboard foldout, etc? I'm kind of picky about packaging, which is dumb, I know. But anyway, any help on this would be much appreciated.

Ives

#97 Post by Ives » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:27 pm

The films are individually housed in slim cases, inside a box-within-a-box, each a different color. Tres chic.

jackson_browne

#98 Post by jackson_browne » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:19 am

You know, the more I think about it, the more I feel like I HAVE to have that Herzog/Kinski boxset and then the Werner Herzog Collection not too far after that.

tryavna

#99 Post by tryavna » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:09 pm

jackson_browne wrote:I feel like I HAVE to have that Herzog/Kinski boxset and then the Werner Herzog Collection not too far after that.
And you should. Purchase now! You won't regret it.

zedz

#100 Post by zedz » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:25 am

DDillaman wrote:So anyone picked up the R4 version of the docos and shorts box set yet? I finally have enough money to order it, but the only Aussie e-tailer I know shows it out of stock, and it hasn't made it to any Kiwi B&M stores yet ...
I was just going to post exactly the same thing, so instead I'm posting exactly the same thing. Has this actually been released?