Werner Herzog on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Scharphedin2

#101 Post by Scharphedin2 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:48 am

richast2 wrote:has anyone seen the R1 Green Ants DVD? Amazon is now listing it as in stock.
It is indeed out. I just received my copy last week, but have unfortunately not been able to watch the whole film yet. However, at a quick glance the image quality looks fine.

The disc is released by Infinity Arthouse; a label with not the greatest reputation in R2.

As with many of Herzog's films, Where the Green Ants Dream is an interesting hybrid between documentary and narative film. It concerns the fact that some Western corporation has found traces of a natural resource on Australian land, where the local Aboriginals have lived for thousands of years. A young representative of the company is sent to negotiate the move of the aboriginal tribe away from the land. Needless to say, the task does not prove an easy one.

subliminac

#103 Post by subliminac » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:50 pm

zedz wrote:
DDillaman wrote:So anyone picked up the R4 version of the docos and shorts box set yet? I finally have enough money to order it, but the only Aussie e-tailer I know shows it out of stock, and it hasn't made it to any Kiwi B&M stores yet ...
I was just going to post exactly the same thing, so instead I'm posting exactly the same thing. Has this actually been released?
I received a copy about two weeks ago from Devoted DVD for about $95. Haven't had much time to really delve into it though, I've been tied up with moving. From what I have seen the quality leaves a little to be desired but it is certainly no worse than the recently released New Yorker disks of Land of Silence and Darkness, etc. For the price it seems quite fair, especiallly when compared to what these were selling for on the Herzog website. I will try to post more when time permits, and would be happy to answer any questions.

porquenegar

#104 Post by porquenegar » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:55 pm

I picked up Where the Green Ants Dream this weekend but haven't had time to open it up and watch it yet. Maybe later tonight.

Antoine Doinel

#105 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:45 pm

From Digital Bits:
Starz Home Entertainment is re-releasing Werner Herzog's Little Dieter Needs to Fly on DVD on 3/27 (SRP $14.98). The film will be presented in anamorphic widescreen video and will include production notes and a Herzog bio.

sevenarts

#106 Post by sevenarts » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:26 pm

Finally sat down to watch the DVD of Herzog's God and the Burdened, his 40-minute documentary on Christianity in Latin America. It's an intriguing little film, much overlooked among Herzog's many documentaries, and certainly not in the top half of his doc work, but fans will probably be interested. The film traces the violent arrival of Christianity in Latin America via Columbus and Cortez, and the consequences of this historical foundation in the modern-day practice of the religion there. Most fascinating is the way that Herzog explores the continuing intersections between Christianity and older Mayan rituals, even up to the present day (the film was made in 2000). Despite the absence of Herzog's voiceover -- there's a very generic deep-voiced PBS-style narrator reading his words instead -- his perspective is very much present here, and the mix of solemnity and absurdity in these religious rites is a perfect match for his particular sensibility. The DVD is surprisingly good quality too, although totally barebones. Worth a look for Herzog fans.

denti alligator

#107 Post by denti alligator » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:43 pm

I would really like to hear Herzog's commentaries in German on the German DVDs of his films. Would any members who have some or all of these be willing to trade mp3s of them for mp3s of the English commentaries?

Mr Pixies

#108 Post by Mr Pixies » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:18 am

Sorry if it's already known, but on the R1 of Where the Green Ants Dream, there's a commentary by him in German (which I haven't listened to yet).

hot_locket

#109 Post by hot_locket » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:53 am

Does anybody know if this Werner Herzog 2pak is the original DVD cases for Wheel of Time and The White Diamond in a slipcase or just the discs in that hideous package? I'm tempted to spend something like $10 more to buy the films separately if the latter is the case, just to get the better cover art :( (I'm a loser)
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:I got the New Yorker dvds recently so I might do a quick contrast and compare of those first.
Also, if you wouldn't mind updating this two-year-old post, I'd like to know what the results were, if you ever made the comparison. I bought the boxset a few months after I'd already rented the 3-shorts New Yorker DVD, and I think I remember the transfers on the latter looking better. . .

jesus the mexican boi

#110 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:42 am

hot_locket wrote:Does anybody know if this Werner Herzog 2pak is the original DVD cases for Wheel of Time and The White Diamond in a slipcase or just the discs in that hideous package? I'm tempted to spend something like $10 more to buy the films separately if the latter is the case, just to get the better cover art :( (I'm a loser)
I have the Almodovar box which is the same packaging, and it's just a slipcover with a velcro close. The discs inside have the same cover art as the original releases. I'm guessing the Herzog box is the same.

hot_locket

#111 Post by hot_locket » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:01 pm

Oh, good. Thanks.

knepo

#112 Post by knepo » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:36 pm

If you consider getting the uk r2 edition of anchor bay's Werner Herzog box, You should then be aware that "Even Dwarfs Started Small" got 2m17sec bbfc cut.

sevenarts

Re: Herzog on DVD

#113 Post by sevenarts » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:34 am

Here's my review of Where the Green Ants Dream. I'm rather surprised this film doesn't get more attention, it's quite good and typically Herzogian: funny and strange and full of memorable moments.

Robin Davies

Re: Werner Herzog on DVD

#114 Post by Robin Davies » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:43 pm

Has anyone else got this release of Gesualdo?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gesualdo-Death- ... 888&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The sleeve promises an audio commentary by Herzog but I can't find it on my copy.

Rufus T. Firefly

#115 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:10 am

The cover is incorrect. The DVD does not have an audio commentary. Neither does the R4 release of the film in Shock's Distinction Series. However the latter has Herzog's short documentary Pilgrimage as an extra, a fact not mentioned on the cover.

zedz

#116 Post by zedz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:The cover is incorrect. The DVD does not have an audio commentary. Neither does the R4 release of the film in Shock's Distinction Series. However the latter has Herzog's short documentary Pilgrimage as an extra, a fact not mentioned on the cover.
Plus the R4 can be found exceedingly cheap (I got it for AUD10) in a double pack with The Transformation of the World into Music.

Robin Davies

#117 Post by Robin Davies » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:15 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:The cover is incorrect. The DVD does not have an audio commentary. Neither does the R4 release of the film in Shock's Distinction Series. However the latter has Herzog's short documentary Pilgrimage as an extra, a fact not mentioned on the cover.
Many thanks for the info.

Robin Davies

#118 Post by Robin Davies » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:26 pm

zedz wrote:
Plus the R4 can be found exceedingly cheap (I got it for AUD10) in a double pack with The Transformation of the World into Music.
Wow, where did you find that? The cheapest I can find is about AUD24 at Devoted DVD.

stereo

#119 Post by stereo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:14 pm

That's great news that Transformation of the World... is in the pack with English subtitles (or so it appears). If you buy direct from the Herzog site, the DVD-R they send has no subs. And I'm thrilled Pilgrimage as you say is on there. I ordered from EZYD today.

zedz

#120 Post by zedz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:17 pm

Robin Davies wrote:
zedz wrote:
Wow, where did you find that? The cheapest I can find is about AUD24 at Devoted DVD.
I picked it up at a JB Hifi in Brisbane, but I see that the set ("Herzog on Music") isn't even listed on their website. Sorry to mislead!

Zazou dans le Metro

#121 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:41 am

Uncle Vern goes blu five times ...naturally

http://www.moviemail-online.co.uk/film/ ... ral-World/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

denti alligator

#122 Post by denti alligator » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:23 pm

So I want to finally plunge on the Documentaries and Shorts set. The Australian version appears to be cheaper. And it also appears to be PAL. Does that mean these are the unconverted PAL versions? The box that Herzog's site sells is NTSC, converted from PAL. This Australian set isn't PAL-to-NTSC-to-PAL, is it?

subliminac

#123 Post by subliminac » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:59 pm

I believe it is straight up PAL, but not progressively encoded. Print quality seems fine but the transfers are merely adequate. Certainly better than some Zeitgeist titles I sampled recently but no where near what they could have been. I would grade image quality about a six.

ivuernis

#124 Post by ivuernis » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:17 pm

denti alligator wrote:So I want to finally plunge on the Documentaries and Shorts set. The Australian version appears to be cheaper. And it also appears to be PAL. Does that mean these are the unconverted PAL versions? The box that Herzog's site sells is NTSC, converted from PAL. This Australian set isn't PAL-to-NTSC-to-PAL, is it?
Interestingly it's advertised as a special edition 10-DVD set. I wonder if it includes more than the original set or are the films spread out over 10 single-layer DVDs instead of 6 dual-layer?

zedz

#125 Post by zedz » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:31 pm

ivuernis wrote:
denti alligator wrote:So I want to finally plunge on the Documentaries and 'Shorts set. The Australian version appears to be cheaper. And it also appears to be PAL. Does that mean these are the unconverted PAL versions? The box that Herzog's site sells is NTSC, converted from PAL. This Australian set isn't PAL-to-NTSC-to-PAL, is it?
Interestingly it's advertised as a special edition 10-DVD set. I wonder if it includes more than the original set or are the films spread out over 10 single-layer DVDs instead of 6 dual-layer?
I hadn't noticed this. I bought the previous Australian edition, which was a direct port of the original 6-disc box, with the original cover art (sepia, no 'Distinction Series' branding). The other four discs could well be the other 'Distinction Series' Herzog documentary titles: Wheel of Time, The White Diamond, The Transformation of the World Into Music and Death for Five Voices. Which would make this quite a bargain.