Digipaks or Keepcases?

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
georgec

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#126 Post by georgec » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:06 pm

If it's a negligible difference in cost I'd love to see more digipacks vs. plastic cases.

Moe Dickstein

#127 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:30 pm

georgec wrote:If it's a negligible difference in cost I'd love to see more digipacks vs. plastic cases.
The opposite! I can replace a broken case way easier than the cracked plastic in the digipak. If the booklet is obscenely large or it's 3 discs or more thats the only time they should ever use the Digipak

johnnysnatchclub7

#128 Post by johnnysnatchclub7 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:The opposite! I can replace a broken case way easier than the cracked plastic in the digipak. If the booklet is obscenely large or it's 3 discs or more thats the only time they should ever use the Digipak
I agree with this exact logic. I've long been outspoken in several Criterion communities against Digipaks mainly claiming durability and uniformity in my collection but Moe paints a more sound picture. Many Digi lovers claim that their main reasoning is all the extra artwork. Is there really that much more in any given instance?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#129 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:37 pm

People who hate digipaks also probably tuck in their t-shirts

johnnysnatchclub7

#130 Post by johnnysnatchclub7 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:38 pm

domino harvey wrote:People who hate digipaks also probably tuck in their t-shirts
I'm not sure anyone on planet Earth does that anymore but I like the analogy all the same.

vsski

#131 Post by vsski » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:... or it's 3 discs or more thats the only time they should ever use the Digipak
Even that is no longer necessary today, as several multi disk cases exist, e.g. The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Homes, the Star Trek TV Series sets, or the MOC Dual Format releases.
Big booklets still seem a challenge though.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Digipaks or Keepcases?

#132 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Is there anyone who ever made an argument for snapper cases?

Paul Moran

#133 Post by Paul Moran » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:17 pm

The only good snapper case is a dead one. They did always have a chapter list, I suppose. Mean of WB not to carry over the concept to their keep cases, by using clear cases and double sided liners.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#134 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:25 pm

I like them and I am pretty sure I'm the only one

Professor Wagstaff

#135 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:56 pm

I used to dislike them, but a lot of the snappers that I've kept are for OOP titles I love but haven't been deemed worthy of an upgrade. My snapper copies of "Star 80", "The Wanderers", or "The Late Show" feel more like buried treasures as a result.

rspaight

#136 Post by rspaight » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:24 pm

The way snapper cases grab onto each other on the shelf is very annoying.

Emak-Bakia

#137 Post by Emak-Bakia » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Snappers used to really annoy me ten years ago when I was much more OCD about having all the spines line up perfectly on my shelves. I've mellowed out a bit since then and am generally okay with having cases of all shapes and sizes on one shelf. I nearly had a heart attack last year, though, when I bought a collection of 50 or so esoteric 70-80s Hollywood films and found that the owner cut up some of his snappers and put the artwork and discs in keepcases. What madness would drive someone to commit such a crime against a DVD? I'll never understand.

CSM126

#138 Post by CSM126 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:50 pm

I like the snapper cases, but to be honest I don't really know why. There's just something about a nice cardboard case, I guess (and my snappers are still in perfect condition, whereas several of my Digipaks are dinged. I still love digis, but there it is).

Emak-Bakia

#139 Post by Emak-Bakia » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:20 am

Maybe in a few years snappers will be like clamshell VHS cases of the early 80s or big box PC games and have their own collector's market. Better stock up on those copies of The Man with Two Brains while you still can, folks! :P