It's a Wonderful Life: 60th Anniversary Edition

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Brianruns10

Re:

#26 Post by Brianruns10 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:15 pm

tryavna wrote:
Ives wrote:If they include the alternate ending where they beat the crap out of Potter, I'm buyin' it.
Uncle Billy: Hey, he's not even crippled!
Potter: Wait a minute, I can explain everything--
George: Well, let's get 'em!
The Simpson's did a great gag about this...Bart and Lisa dig up an alternate ending to Casablanca, and when they track down the fellow who hid the film, he pays them to bury it again, with a second can of film labeled: "It's a Wonderful Life Alternate Ending: The Killing Spree."

Gregory

Re: It's a Wonderful Life: 60th Anniversary Edition

#27 Post by Gregory » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:10 am

Titus: Thanks for the reply, and I agree with much of what you say. It likely is largely a matter of perspective and emphasis, though I find it impossible to separate the economic stuff I was talking about from George Bailey the character, as the film sets it up so that his building and loan firm is tied directly to his sense of self-worth and the foundation of his family life. And I think for Capra it was significant not only that he believed in and sacrificed for something, but what those particular things were. It's an idealistic film in many specific ways, which isn't necessarily bad per se, but I can't seem to follow along with most of them.

Domino: I'm on the fence, but I might agree with you about the similar scene in American Madness being more nuanced. It was perhaps more believable, within the financial world portrayed in the earlier film, to have the run on the bank stopped as part of a power play in which Dickson had enough people on his side to sway the others. Still, in the kind of small-town world imagined in It's a Wonderful Life, it's not impossible to believe in the can't-fail power of Bailey's charisma and belief in his enterprise when he's only stopping a run of a couple dozen people he's known his whole life (and putting up the honeymoon funds as well).
If I've seen The Bishop's Wife, I don't remember it but will definitely watch it soon as a comparison to Capra.

dx23

Re: It's a Wonderful Life: 60th Anniversary Edition

#28 Post by dx23 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:46 am

Some idiot producers decided last week that they wanted to do a sequel to It's a Wonderful Life, with their lone asset being the little girl who played Jimmy Stewart's daughter in the film (she is now 73). Thankfully, Paramount has stepped in and stopped any ideas of anyone making a sequel.