Hollywood's Legends of Horror Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Nihonophile

#51 Post by Nihonophile » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm

I heard some film scholar recorded a commentary for Devil Doll and there was some sort of issue with the mastering of the commentary onto the DVD.

Matt

#52 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:09 pm

Lino wrote:I think it's safe to assume that two slightly different versions of Dr. X exist.
ByMarkClark.com wrote:The B&W version definitely exists. I have a VHS boot of it.
So do I. I know the different version exists. I thought I was pretty clear on that; I just was unclear on precisely how it was shot.

ByMarkClark.com

#53 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:50 am

Sorry! However, the question has essentially been answered. Someone wrote, "It was filmed with the Technicolor camera and the b&w camera next to each other." That is essentially correct.

Felix

#54 Post by Felix » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:36 pm

Matt wrote:
davidhare wrote:If anyone is deperately intersted I'll refer 'em to the usual Robert Haines history text.
Haines is good on the technology, but his Technicolor filmography sucks. If anyone is desperately interested, I can provide a full filmography of Warner Bros. two-color Technicolor films.
I know I am responding to old posts but I came across this thread again having watched Curtiz Mad Genius and liking it very much and then being drawn through Mr X into this, so thanks, good info and I am pleased to have just received the DVD of Mystery of the Wax Museum.

Main reason to post this is this site, which I came across after googling Mystery. I appreciate for you guys this will be nothing new but for the less technically competent like me it looks like a very useful resource on the early colour processes, so I thought I would share it for the benefit of others like me.

feckless boy

Re: Hollywood's Legends of Horror Collection

#55 Post by feckless boy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:52 am

Watched Doctor X last night and finally, after 18 years, got to know from where Kool Keith sampled the wonderful intro to No Awareness. Finally!

PS Apologies to mfunk for useless thread bump...DS

manicsounds

#56 Post by manicsounds » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:52 am

Well technically it was The Automator that sampled while Keith rapped...
"Doctor X" is amazing. One of my favorites in this collection. Especially creepy with the 2 strip technicolor process, this and "Mystery Of The Wax Museum" are maybe the only movies I've seen released in this process. Are there any more out on DVD or BD that are 2-strip technicolor?

feckless boy

#57 Post by feckless boy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:36 am

manicsounds wrote:Well technically it was The Automator that sampled while Keith rapped...
Assisted by Chewbacca Uncircumcised aka Phillip Collington (thank you discogs!). If we continue to sprinkle our posts with trip-hop minutiae, I think there is a fair chance we'll both get banned.
manicsounds wrote:Are there any more out on DVD or BD that are 2-strip technicolor?
On BD, I guess Phantom of the Opera and The Black Pirate counts as two-strip technicolor - even though it's an earlier process. On DVD I really like Busby Berkeley choreographed and Greg Toland photographed Whoopee! - but I might be alone in that. Needless to say, it doesn't look anything like Citizen Kane.