Fox Cinema Classics Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
hearthesilence

#51 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:01 pm

A Blu-Ray disc of French Connection was reportedly set for release...maybe the production of this new DVD issue is somehow tied to that one?

dx23

Re:

#52 Post by dx23 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:22 pm

hearthesilence wrote:A Blu-Ray disc of French Connection was reportedly set for release...maybe the production of this new DVD issue is somehow tied to that one?
Both French Connection films are set to be released on blu ray in 2009. The first one is being released on January 13th and the second one on February 17th according to Blu-Ray.com .

Narshty

Re:

#53 Post by Narshty » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:17 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about it, but Sarafian did tell me back in April that he'd just recorded a new interview for Fox for a Vanishing Point reissue.
Coming to Blu-ray in February 2009 too.

Fletch F. Fletch

Re: Fox Cinema Classics Collection

#54 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:45 pm

Vanishing Point is coming out on Feb. 24 on Blu-ray. Specs:
Special Features

Presented in widescreen format with English 5.1 DTS Master Audio, Spanish and French Mono as well as English, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin and Korean Subtitles, the Vanishing Point Blu-ray Disc contains an array of bonus features including:

· NEW HD Interactive 1970 Dodge Challenger
· NEW HD “Built for Speed: A Look Back at Vanishing Point” – A making-of featurette
· NEW HD “OA-5599” – A featurette about the Dodge Challenger
· NEW “Cars, Cops , and Culture 70’s Trivia Track”
· NEW Vanishing Point Trivia Challenge – In-movie trivia challenge
· NEW “Super Soul Me” – This BonusView feature goes behind the scenes of one of the first all-rock film soundtracks. Includes interviews with many of the original artists who recorded the soundtrack like Leslie West of “Mountain,” Kim Carnes, Laura Creamer of the all girl group “Eve,” Jimmy Walker, Delaney Bramlett of “Delaney & Bonnie & Friends” as well as legendary DJ Jim Ladd
· A branched UK version boasting nearly ten minutes of additional footage
· Commentary by director Richard Sarafian
· TV spots
· D-Box Compatible
I'm a little pissed that these are Blu-ray only extras! ARgh. Guess I'll have to break down and finally get one of these things. :evil:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#55 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:21 pm

Apparently Fox has been releasing a ton of "Cinema Classic Collection" titles that never made it in R1 in Spain of all places. We're talking legit releases of Preminger's Forever Amber (!!!!) and a wide assortment of Gene Tierney rarities, among other titles. What's the best Spain-culling retailer for these actual pressed-disc treasures!?

dx23

#56 Post by dx23 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:44 am

domino harvey wrote:Apparently Fox has been releasing a ton of "Cinema Classic Collection" titles that never made it in R1 in Spain of all places. We're talking legit releases of Preminger's Forever Amber (!!!!) and a wide assortment of Gene Tierney rarities, among other titles. What's the best Spain-culling retailer for these actual pressed-disc treasures!?
DVDGO.com although shipping is a little expensive.

Tommaso

#57 Post by Tommaso » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:54 am

Starscafe.com. Definitely lower shipping costs, at least to Euro countries.

strangerinparadise

The Egyptian, Forever Amber and Inferno

#58 Post by strangerinparadise » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:15 pm

were all being prepared for release by Fox in the US when they dropped their plans as their Cinema Classics and Fox Noir lines were discontinued. Somewhat old news, perhaps, but Fox Spain has now released their efforts. Sadly, the running commentary prepared for The Egyptian is not present on the Spanish disc. Yet the native subtitles are removable on all DVDs, thankfully - and the stately stereo soundtrack from the latter sounds quite impressive. I believe it's also available on a HQ CD from the States for those who might be interested..

Stefan Andersson

Re: The Egyptian, Forever Amber and Inferno

#59 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:37 am

The Spanish FOREVER AMBER disc displays as 16:9 on 4:3 monitors according to a HTF thread devoted to R2 DVD releases in Spain. Info seems reliable, posters sound like reliable people highly interested in video quality, aspect ratios etc. Several links to screencaps from WB and Fox (VIOLENT SATURDAY) titles included. Links go to http://www.mundodvd.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, a good Spanish-language forum.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Egyptian, Forever Amber and Inferno

#60 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:34 am

We have a Fox subforum in which these have come up for discussion already

Stefan Andersson

#61 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:40 am

You seem to be right according to Amber screencaps now up at HTF. Sorry I took so long to reply.

HTF has a new thread dedicated to screencaps from R2 releases (WALLS OF JERICHO, TOMAHAWK, BENGAL BRIGADE).

Finch

#62 Post by Finch » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:14 pm

All About Eve to come out on Blu through Pathe and Fox Europe in France in mid-February - can't wait!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#63 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Not sure where else to put this, but I received a copy of the Fox edition of A Yank in the RAF and I couldn't figure out why the case was so heavy. Well, it's because Fox included a large, heavy "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS" ribbon magnet, like for cars, inside. Up there with the strangest freebies I've found in a studio release! (I mean, logically I get it, it appeals to the perceived audience, but a giant heavy car magnet for anything would be a weird thing to throw in with a DVD)

solaris72

#64 Post by solaris72 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:01 am

domino harvey wrote:Not sure where else to put this, but I received a copy of the Fox edition of A Yank in the RAF and I couldn't figure out why the case was so heavy. Well, it's because Fox included a large, heavy "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS" ribbon magnet, like for cars, inside. Up there with the strangest freebies I've found in a studio release! (I mean, logically I get it, it appeals to the perceived audience, but a giant heavy car magnet for anything would be a weird thing to throw in with a DVD)
Weird! I wonder if this created any issues at the distribution center, e.g. copies sticking together...

Gregory

#65 Post by Gregory » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:42 am

Fox included those magnets inside a whole series of "War Classics" DVD as part of a support-the-troops promotion, donating $0.50 to the USO for each DVD sold.

I hope they looked a little bit less crass than these, which U-Haul so generously gave away:

Props55

#66 Post by Props55 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:38 am

Yeah, I recall getting these in several Fox "war" themed titles in the years immediately following the Iraq/Afghanistan invasion. HEAVEN KNOWS MR. ALLISON, HALLS OF MONTEZUMA, (possibly) HELL AND HIGH WATER, even THE BLUE MAX! Thank goodness I never had any to sell online as the postage upgrade would have blown my profit margin!