Technical Issues and Questions

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Morbii

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#1551 Post by Morbii » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:28 am

Pretty much what I figured. Just didn't want to find out there was something stupid like frequency differences or something. Thanks.

Morbii

#1552 Post by Morbii » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:04 am

David M. wrote: Yes. Get the Sony BDP-S3700. It has bit-perfect output for BD.
(Do not get the step up S6xxx model which has undefeatable noise reduction which blurs detail.)
I purchased this player from 220 electronics and can now recommend it as well. At this time, I do not have any non-region A discs (though, I do have Arrow's "Bring Me the Head.." on the way), but I can confirm it plays non-R0/1(PAL) DVDs beautifully (and with seemingly less occasional stutter than even my Oppo had during the PAL->NTSC conversion). It also plays 1080i/50 blu-rays (which I couldn't play on my PS3)!
Zot! wrote:As I've mentioned before....Seiki SR4KP1 is unbeatable for the price. Expect a lot more cheapo product than your Oppo, but it does its job. It even runs on 110 or 220 power. I bought 3 when I found them for $30, but have not had to use more thant one, now more than 2 years in.
I did look into the Seiki SR4KP1, but for various reasons I passed on it:
- no wifi
- questionable about whether the region free capability would be guaranteed to survive firmware updates, and I read the initial profile was an older BD profile (so you might want to update it)
- price was >$100 where I found it at this time (so I felt for a bit more I should just get a superior machine).
theflirtydozen wrote:Would any S3700 machine be region free as-is or does it need to be modded from somewhere like 220 and is it relatively easy to switch the region on these machines?
I believe you have to get it modded, but I could be wrong on that point. I do know that it's easy to switch regions, though (by hitting a button corresponding to the region in question on the remote while the tray is open).

dda1996a

Super 8/16 film cameras

#1553 Post by dda1996a » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi, I've been considering buying either a 8 or 16mm film camera, and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I've a little experience with my DSLR camera, but not with any analog cameras.
Where could I acquire a good, hopefully new one, preferably in NY? Which is the one I should go with? I'll start film school next year, so I don't have an exact purpose in mind other than the fact I adore the look of analog and film stock. I know 16 has a better image and texture, so should I spend more on it than on a super 8? How expensive are film stocks and where could I develop them?
Thanks

Michael Kerpan

Re: Super 8/16 film cameras

#1554 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:46 pm

I'd suggest spend some time looking around B&H Photo's website. I bet you can get some idea of costs there (as well as user reviews of film and equipment).

Emak-Bakia

#1555 Post by Emak-Bakia » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:35 pm

For super 8, I'd recommend just hitting up a local flea market or the like, and you'll probably be able to eventually pick-up a starter camera for next to nothing. If you want something a little bit nicer, maybe start with a Canon 514XL, which can probably be found for $50-100 on eBay.

For 16mm, start with a Bolex H16. Check craigslist, since there are a lot of those out in the wild, and they're built like a tank. You can probably pick up a kit with at least a standard lens for a few hundred bucks, or less, if you're lucky. I hear the Canon Scoopics are easy to use, and I come across them cheap (under $100) every now and then, but I've never actually used one. Proprietary batteries are an issue with those. The Arri S is another classic starter camera, though I think it will be more expensive than a Bolex, and it also has the issue with the proprietary batteries.

If you pick-up just a camera body, expect to pay more for lenses than for the camera itself.

There are plenty of places you can send out film for processing and for transfers, but I prefer doing everything hands on. For getting started, and if it's not super valuable film, you can spaghetti method hand process in a standard roll film processing tank. If you have no background with shooting film, I'd also recommend starting with still photography first. Pick up a cheap SLR (seriously, they're everywhere.) If your area is anything like mine, you can probably get darkroom equipment for free or dirt cheap on craigslist. Start processing some B&W film and have fun!

I love spreading film love, so feel free to ask more detailed questions.

dda1996a

#1556 Post by dda1996a » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:45 pm

Does B&H have film cameras? I use my cannon DSLR quite a lot, and it even has a video function. But I just love the texture and colors of film (and watching Heart of a Dog and a lot of Mekas made it a priority).
I actually don't live in the U. S but will be traveling around this summer, so I'll have to see how I can find those cameras on Craigslist. But I prefer getting one from a store. Are those cameras really that inexpensive? I was sure they will cost quite a lot

Emak-Bakia

#1557 Post by Emak-Bakia » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:04 pm

I would strongly recommend you buy used, unless you want to pay insane prices for a new camera. Now is a great time to buy used film equipment, since prices are at all time lows. Sometimes you can find used equipment cheap enough that it doesn't matter if it works or not. (And, if it doesn't work, you can make a project of it, and learn how to repair a camera/learn how it works.) If you're laying down a good chunk of change, I'd suggest buying from someone who actually knows how to use the camera and can vouch for its performance. If on eBay, buy from a seller who has tested the camera with film and notes in the description that it is working.

Another thought: if you come across one locally, maybe pick up a projector and some films to get used to handling the materials. (Though I'm not sure if this will be possible if you're travelling, since it can be cumbersome to lug this equipment around.) Eiki and Elmo were two of the finest manufacturers of 16mm projectors, and they're often very user serviceable, potentially needing nothing more than some oil and a change of belts to get running. Kodak Pageants are also great, though they frequently have issues with the sound. All three brands were often widely by institutions, and, with a little luck, can be found cheap at school sales (though the days for such finds are dwindling.)

Silent super 8/standard 8 projectors are a dime a dozen, but if you want a sound one, you're probably going to want to go with an Elmo ST, which will likely cost a few hundred bucks. Personally, I prefer working with 16mm, since I find the larger stock easier to work with, but I advocate working with film any way you can!

Looking back at your original post, I didn't address this point: expect to pay $20-40 per roll of B&W reversal film (50' for super 8 and 100' for 16.) This is also something you can pick-up used. Well, I mean, pick up old, unused stock. My latest project is shot on 50 year old 16mm Plus-X, with great results. And it's all film I picked up basically for free. If stored in decent conditions, B&W film is very versatile.

I'm not really familiar with the New York scene, but, if you're in NYC, check out Mono No Aware.

dda1996a

#1558 Post by dda1996a » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:54 pm

I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for Craigslist then. Re-voir.com has a few cameras, listed at 250-500 euros for, 8mm.

John Shade

#1559 Post by John Shade » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:20 pm

I recently purchased the Sony 3700. Are you saying I might be able to be region free for the first time ever? I thought I would always be locked A; what do I do now? Buy a cheap region B and give it a shot or is there something else I need to do to break free?

Emak-Bakia

#1560 Post by Emak-Bakia » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Are you in France right now? I can't comment on the market there, unfortunately, and I've never used one of those Nizos that are up for grabs on Re-voir. To me, that sounds a bit high for a beginner super 8 camera, but I'm cheap when it comes to this stuff.

Morbii

#1561 Post by Morbii » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:01 pm

I don't know what you would have to do to mod an existing one, but I would have to guess it requires hardware modification. I purchased mine new (and modded) from 220-electronics.com, as did the person that recommended the player to me.

Drucker

#1562 Post by Drucker » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Have other owners of Oppo 93 had problems with playback of discs? I found the other week that nothing would play that was BD-live enabled. It had been so long since I took out an old Universal BD, for example, that I never noticed the problem probably started when I (for the first time) updated the firmware last year.

I fixed this issue by disconnecting the internet, and therefore, killing the chance it has to even upload BD live. Universal and Columbia discs began to play again. The only one that would not play (and actually just froze at the spinning icon in the top left) seemed to be Fox discs (Raging Bull and Niagra)

So worst case I figured some major label BDs wouldn't play, and I could get a new Region A player to play those through, no big. But today I found my first Indicator titles wouldn't load at all either! The PH logo screen plays and then nothing. I'm not sure what gives, if my previous issue with the region-hacker not changing anymore did some permanent damage or what.

Anyone else had problems like this with the player? Would it be worth it to reset factory defaults?

fdm

#1563 Post by fdm » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:12 pm

I retired my Oppo 93 last year, but I just about always had its "BD-Live Network Access" setting turned to Off. Never had to disconnect its ethernet cable that way (or hardly ever had it freeze, which I recall was not unusual when I did try BD-LIve on it or maybe that was a different player). Perhaps try it that way first with those problematic discs before resorting to other measures. (My 93 was mostly for playing import discs, so usually I let another player handle the US locked discs so as not to wear it out.)

artfilmfan

#1564 Post by artfilmfan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm thinking of getting the Sony BDP S3700 from 220-electronics for its wifi capability (in addition to the multi-region capability). I know that the unit sold at Amazon is not modified to provide multi-region capability, but why are there so many negative reviews posted there for this model/unit that's sold on Amazon? Also, if I do get one from 220-electronics, does this unit perform automatic software update when it is connected to the internet and will the update mess up the multi-region mod/capability?
Last edited by artfilmfan on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Shade

#1565 Post by John Shade » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Artfilmfan, I bought my Sony from Best Buy so it doesn't have the region free capacity sadly, maybe next time. So far I have been happy with it, as I use a Sony 4K also. Now I tend to use the tv for internet, and I will admit that at one point my blu rays would mysteriously not play sound and I needed to do this plug in plug out business. All in all it's worked, but I am not nearly as savvy as others on this board and can't really grade blu ray quality the way they do...

Morbii

#1566 Post by Morbii » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:10 pm

artfilmfan wrote:I'm thinking of getting the Sony BDP S3700 from 220-electronics for its wifi capability (in addition to the multi-region capability). I know that the unit sold at Amazon is not modified to provide multi-region capability, but why are there so many negative reviews posted there for this model/unit that's sold on Amazon? Also, if I do get one from 220-electronics, does this unit perform automatic software update when it is connected to the internet and will the update mess up the multi-region mod/capability?
I still prefer my PlayStation 3 (have never found a player I liked better during normal use, with the exception of that dastardly stop button), so I only use the S3700 for other region playback.

The minor annoyances I've seen so far:
1. It shuts itself off if you pause for long enough. Really not a big deal, and a plus for some (environmentally friendly and all that). The player does start up reasonably fast and is good at remembering your position (unlike a PS3 on the latter point!)
2. The real gripe I have is the default rewind/forward speeds. Forward is way too fast, rewind is way too slow. And further, if you do rewind again, it's then way too fast. This is where the PS3 has always been perfect to me and why it's my preferred player.
3. When you start video (including from a rewind/forward!), the audio takes a few seconds to start playing. I noticed this with my old oppo DVD player too. I suspect it's due to the receiver, though, and the sound processing (the PS3 does the decoding itself, so I think that's why this was never an issue).

It will not update automatically, and will just prompt you every so often (but maybe you can tell it to update automatically), but I think I did one update myself. I believe the 220 site says playback is guaranteed to survive updates, but you can double check.

artfilmfan

#1567 Post by artfilmfan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Thank you both for your replies on the BDP S3700 unit.

David M.

#1568 Post by David M. » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Morbii wrote:
artfilmfan wrote:I'm thinking of getting the Sony BDP S3700 from 220-electronics for its wifi capability (in addition to the multi-region capability). I know that the unit sold at Amazon is not modified to provide multi-region capability, but why are there so many negative reviews posted there for this model/unit that's sold on Amazon? Also, if I do get one from 220-electronics, does this unit perform automatic software update when it is connected to the internet and will the update mess up the multi-region mod/capability?
I still prefer my PlayStation 3 (have never found a player I liked better during normal use, with the exception of that dastardly stop button), so I only use the S3700 for other region playback.

1. It shuts itself off if you pause for long enough. Really not a big deal, and a plus for some (environmentally friendly and all that). The player does start up reasonably fast and is good at remembering your position (unlike a PS3 on the latter point!)
2. The real gripe I have is the default rewind/forward speeds. Forward is way too fast, rewind is way too slow. And further, if you do rewind again, it's then way too fast. This is where the PS3 has always been perfect to me and why it's my preferred player.
3. When you start video (including from a rewind/forward!), the audio takes a few seconds to start playing. I noticed this with my old oppo DVD player too. I suspect it's due to the receiver, though, and the sound processing (the PS3 does the decoding itself, so I think that's why this was never an issue).

It will not update automatically, and will just prompt you every so often (but maybe you can tell it to update automatically), but I think I did one update myself. I believe the 220 site says playback is guaranteed to survive updates, but you can double check.

1. You can turn the eco stuff off in the menu I think?
2. Yeah, I found the same.
3. Sounds like the receiver. Try changing the audio output mode on the player to PCM rather than Bitstream and see if it makes a difference.

And yes, the multi region part is guaranteed to survive firmware updates.

Drucker

#1569 Post by Drucker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:54 pm

So I finally broke down and bought a region A-dedicated blu-ray player only to find that they only have HDMI audio out now, nothing to plug into a receiver!

Can anyone recommend ideally a region A player that:
-has traditional audio out for left/right speakers on a receiver
-3d capable
-no noise reduction (as the Samsungs do)?

Thank you!

Michael Kerpan

#1570 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:05 pm

I run my Blu-Ray player to the TV, which has old fashioned audio output -- which I run to my receiver. For CDs, I use my old Oppo DVD player -- which I connect directly to the receiver (as well as via HDMI to the TV).

Drucker

#1571 Post by Drucker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:40 pm

Probably the right call. Good idea.

Michael Kerpan

#1572 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:51 pm

With all the different pieces of equipment, we have a wide array of remote controls, all of which are necessary for one thing or another....

Morbii

#1573 Post by Morbii » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:53 am

David M. wrote:
Morbii wrote:

<snip>

1. You can turn the eco stuff off in the menu I think?
2. Yeah, I found the same.
3. Sounds like the receiver. Try changing the audio output mode on the player to PCM rather than Bitstream and see if it makes a difference.

And yes, the multi region part is guaranteed to survive firmware updates.
I don't recall seeing #1 while going through the options, but I might have missed it as when I did that I wouldn't have known what I was looking for. Thanks for the tip on #3! I was pretty sure it was the receiver, but wanted to be thorough.

For me, the FF/RW is the only real issue I have, and I still consider it pretty minor.

I don't want to dissuade anyone from getting this player, I was just trying to be specific in the context of the question. As to earlier, I recommend it and the PQ and audio are both top notch!

For me, it's also difficult to "change tracks", which is another reason why I still prefer my PS3 for general use. That said, I am a fan of the S3700 and my willingness to use it for other regions only should hopefully extend its life, it being more expensive and harder to obtain and all than region locked players.

John Shade

#1574 Post by John Shade » Thu May 11, 2017 4:29 pm

I think this might be the best place for me to post the following, but I'm sure something like this has been asked before so sorry if this is too repetitive.

I've been region A only for a long time--more and more I'm thinking of getting a region free player. Seems as though most on this board have one, any early recommendations? I already have the Sony listed above which looks great with a 4k capable tv, is there a way I can just switch that player? Any people not recommend I do this? (Maybe in some keyvip getting drowned in blu rays possibility?)

edit: Some useful searching around the board and internet has given me some good options, but not to make this post a complete waste anyone else who wants to chime in feel free..
Last edited by John Shade on Mon May 15, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willoneill

#1575 Post by willoneill » Fri May 12, 2017 9:46 pm

I have a technical question, but not related to home video. I just got back from I, Daniel Blake, not knowing that there would be English subtitles (I found them unnecessary, and oddly enough, wrong a few times). I spoke to one of the theatre staff, and they said that's the way the film came. One on the way home though, I got to thinking that while that was true in the days of film prints, why would that be the case with digital cinema files? Does anyone know anything about this?