Jet Pilot

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
filmfan

#1 Post by filmfan » Wed May 31, 2006 12:07 pm

There was a Good Times Region 1 release, which was not too bad for them.

Is there a comparison to the PAL release ?

It's an entertaining film for it's dated genre.

filmfan

#2 Post by filmfan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:15 am

I saw the PAL release on a retail store's shelf..if it's still there I will get the details this weekend.

Those sound effects...yes, I LOVE THEM when they enhance Janet Leigh's first revealing of her large...and probably Howard Hughes enhanced...
breasts in a T-shirt shot !

They give up on them early in the movie, so I guess they knew they were a little over the top !

filmfan

#3 Post by filmfan » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:45 am

davidhare wrote:FilmFan Im not aware of any PAL release on DVD. Can you confirm if the older R1 disc was also in 1.78? The new Universal as part of the Wayne box certainly is. This "version" merely replicates the history of the movie, post production.

Sternberg finished it in 1950 (well and truly pre-widescreen era) but Hughes hung onto it, tinkering away with flight sequence inserts, ludicrous sound effects, etc until releasing it in 1957. At which time he decided to put this (and some other pre-1953 titles) out in a ghastly faux-widescreen process called "Superscope" which was, essentially a cropped version of the orginal 1.37 image downgraded into an anamoprhic reduction and then screened cropped in a 1.78 or 1.85 image for projection. Needless to say this is lethal to Sternberg's compositions.

It's a UK Universal release...2.0 mono, full frame 4:3

To me the colors are ALOT more lush than any of the other releases, especially evident in the color and definition of the military uniforms.

The scene in the office at Palmer Field with JC Flippen shows alot of things I've never have seemed to have seen in the other releases.

Flesh tones seem to average magenta for some reason.

otis

#4 Post by otis » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:39 pm

WARNING: I just picked up the Universal UK release (cheap, fortunately), and although it says 4:3 on the box, it turns out to be a non-anamorphic matted version, and cropped at the sides to boot:

New R1:

Avoid like the plague! Should have known better than to trust Universal UK.