Block Party (Dave Chappelle / Michel Gondry)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
manicsounds

#1 Post by manicsounds » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:29 pm

the official website says Summer 2006 on DVD.

davisdvd reports that Universal is preparing for an unrated DVD,
but no specs or extras have been reported, and neither has a date.

But I know I will get it even if it is bareboned.... which i HOPE it wont be.

I saw this in the theater when I went to the United States in March,
and I must say, one of the most energetic things I have ever seen.

Fletch F. Fletch

#2 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon May 22, 2006 9:54 am

Specs are up courtesy of DavisDVD:
We broke the news and cover art last month, and now we have the complete specs. Rogue Pictures and Universal Studios Home Entertainment will release Dave Chappelle's Block Party on June 13th in an unrated 110-min. cut in separate anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen editions. Featuring extended scenes and musical acts not shown in theaters, special features will include "September In Brooklyn: The Making of Block Party" and "Ohio Players: The Bus Ride" featurettes and more extended music acts. A fullscreen-only R-rated 103-min. version will also be available. Retail is $29.98 each.

Antoine Doinel

#3 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:05 am

Rented this tonight and the DVD actually features two seperate cuts. One is the "unrated" version and the other is the unrated version with uncut musical performances. I'm not sure how long that second cut is though.

oldsheperd

#4 Post by oldsheperd » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:57 am

Second cut is roughly six minutes longer.

manicsounds

#5 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:46 pm

Its more than that. There are about 5 musical performances by using the White Rabbit function, but I only spotted 2 when I watched the film.

I found the others through Windows Media Player,
I wish they made it possible to watch without that function....

EDIT:
Alright, here they are, 4 extended performances:

Press Enter at:
43:46 (Dead Prez)
48:23 (Dead Prez)
65:07 (Jill Scott)
68:35 (The Roots)

all 4 songs are in anamorphic widescreen, but the picture quality is worse than the actual movie. The sound is encoded at Dolby 5.0, but only the front L and R speakers have sound, and its significantly higher than the movie itself. Be careful, have a remote handy.

Antoine Doinel

#6 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:16 am

Word is that an even longer cut will be released on DVD in September. From this interview: http://ropeofsilicon.com/news.php?id=4087
As an aside, Dave Chappelle's Block Party is one of my favorites of the year.

Oh thanks. Yeah, I worked with my friend Jeff Buchanan, he brought so much to it, and it was such a nightmare. We had nine hours of concert with nine cameras and the rest of the day we had one or two cameras. I hope they are going to release a long version in September, an extended DVD. It's going to be every song, maybe 40 minutes more. On Science of Sleep I'm going to do a B version of the movie on the DVD that's made up entirely of the deleted scenes, it will be 45 minutes long.