Grand Prix

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jeff

#1 Post by Jeff » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:12 pm

Not that anyone has been chomping at the bit for this one, but DVD Active has posted this announcement for a two-disc special edition of the Frankenheimer film.
Warner Home Video has announced a special edition of the John Frankenheimer directed Grand Prix which stars James Garner, Antonio Sabato Jr and Brian Bedford. The two-disc DVD will be available to own from the 11th July, and should be priced at around $20.97. The film itself will be presented in 2.20:1 widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extras will include documentaries, a featurette, and the theatrical trailer.
Cover art is there as well.

Derek Estes

#2 Post by Derek Estes » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:10 am

My favorite part of that announcment is the fact that now this film stars Antonio Sabato JR! I hope he only wears CK underwear through the whole movie!

manicsounds

#3 Post by manicsounds » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:30 am

I've actually been waiting for a long time for this one
small role for Toshiro Mifune, dubbed over in English by another actor too...

Jeff

#4 Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:09 pm

Disc One

* New Digital Transfer from Restored 65mm Elements with a Soundtrack Remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
* Theatrical Trailer

Disc Two
Four new never-before-seen documentaries:

* Pushing the Limit: The Making of Grand Prix - 40th Anniversary Making-of documentary
* Flat Out: Formula One in the Sixties- A history of Formula One racing in the sixties
* The Style and Sound of Speed – A look at the style of Saul Bass and the film's sound design
* Brands Hatch: Behind the Checkered Flag - Behind the scenes tour of the famous raceway used in the movie
* Grand Prix: Challenge of the Champions – 1960's Featurette behind-the-scenes at the Grand Prix
* Speed Channel Promo

Gigi M.

#5 Post by Gigi M. » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:14 pm

I'm very happy to see this disc just for $20.97. I believe this is the first Warner double discer with this price. With a 30% off comes to $14.68.

Matt

#6 Post by Matt » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:18 pm

I would hope they include that short film made at the time of the film's release that's a profile of the second-unit cameraman. It shows up on TCM all the time.

Ashirg

#7 Post by Ashirg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:46 pm

matt wrote:I would hope they include that short film made at the time of the film's release that's a profile of the second-unit cameraman. It shows up on TCM all the time.
I think it's Grand Prix: Challenge of the Champions – 1960's Featurette behind-the-scenes at the Grand Prix

Matt

#8 Post by Matt » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:47 am

No, it's called The Man Who Makes the Difference and I've just discovered that it's on the Ice Station Zebra DVD which I've long since sold. It's nominally a promotional film for Zebra, but it shows a lot of the racing footage shot with the special camera mounts built for Grand Prix.

Matango

#9 Post by Matango » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:18 pm

"It might be in the running for DVD transfer of the year," says the Beaver.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview ... review.htm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Grand Prix

#10 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:54 am

Randall Maysin Again

#11 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:07 pm

Boy, John Frankenheimer didn't care what kind of shite material he filmed, did he? It's a shame, as he was a superb, distinctive, intelligent, and truly cinematic craftsman at his best, but here even his craftsmanship, while proficient, isn't particularly interesting. I admittedly haven't seen all of this because I couldn't take any more of it, but the script for what I saw was just about the dullest, most mechanical pap I've ever seen in any film. And the actors all know it, and they all seem very Buddhist about their fate to be in this film, staring heavy-liddedly and hopelessly at their fellow cast-members-in-guilt as the ocean of pathetic grey boring drivel happens around them, engulfs them, and dribbles out of their mouths. This film has lots of fans, but I thought people, from any walk of life, didn't like being bored out of their frigging skulls...? How could anyone possibly find this film entertaining? There are lots of bad films where even if i do personally dislike some of them a lot, I can still understand what others are getting out of them, but not this one. I guess the audience for this one just likes the spectacle of fast editing and car races and just doesn't take movies seriously at all, but its still hard for me to put myself in their shoes and see how one could find this movie bearable? I mean look at it.

Matt

#12 Post by Matt » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:12 pm

This feels like a film made specifically to try out new ideas about how cars going at high speed could be filmed. And these top actors would sign on just to work with Frankenheimer and each other and to get a fat Hollywood paycheck. So, Fincher with Panic Room or Benjamin Button might be analogous cases of films made to see if and how they could be made, not for art’s sake.

Randall Maysin Again

#13 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:22 pm

Fair enough! Sorry haha

Matt

Grand Prix

#14 Post by Matt » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:05 pm

I also think it’s really boring and kind of awful, but I do enjoy the opening credits and the driving scenes.

Randall Maysin Again

#15 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:52 am

LOL you're making me chuckle! Frankenheimer is such a great technician though, I can't wait to get to Seven Days in May and especially The Iceman Cometh, but lot of his other stuff doesn't look or sound too appetizing, alas

Matt

#16 Post by Matt » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:09 am

I assume you have seen or will see The Manchurian Candidate and Seconds, but don’t skip The Train or Birdman of Alcatraz. The Young Stranger is very good as a low-key early effort, too. For me, everything else is second-tier (or lower).

RPG

#17 Post by RPG » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:11 am

Matt wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:09 am
I assume you have seen or will see The Manchurian Candidate and Seconds, but don’t skip The Train or Birdman of Alcatraz. The Young Stranger is very good as a low-key early effort, too. For me, everything else is second-tier (or lower).
I recently watched Black Sunday and actually enjoyed it immensely. I can't believe Goodyear and the NFL opened their arms so wide for this movie.