Silent Film on DVD and BD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Ann Harding

Re: Silent Film on DVD

#651 Post by Ann Harding » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:55 am

Dick Laurent wrote:Guessed correctly in the screencap thread.

Soon to be released by the VDFC (Vlaamse dienst voor filmcultuur) and Cinematek:
The Red Lantern

New restored edition, with new intertitles in english

- 2 different scores
- Many extras including : Nazimova screen test, Nazimova newsreel clippings, Nazimova odes (songs), Boxer war novelties and more
- All in a book-style packaging with lots of information about the film
Do you have a link to the Cinematek? When will it be released?

Dick Laurent

#652 Post by Dick Laurent » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:28 am

It is more a VDFC release, in co-production with Cinermatek.
I can't find a link, but I know everything is in printing fase at the moment.
It will be released this month, I will keep you updated.
Btw, the book is 200+ pages, english only!

Ann Harding

#653 Post by Ann Harding » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:31 am

Thanks. Keep us updated. And give us a link where to buy it.

Dick Laurent

#654 Post by Dick Laurent » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:53 am

now available here

Ann Harding

#655 Post by Ann Harding » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:17 am

I ordered mine today. I'll report when I get it.

triodelover

#656 Post by triodelover » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:46 am

I also ordered a copy. For those outside the EU, be aware that VAT (3.30€ in this case) isn't removed from the quoted price. OTOH, shipping to the States was a reasonable 4 Euros. Total for the order 23.50€ including CC transaction fee.

L.A.

#657 Post by L.A. » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:27 pm

Does the Le Cinéma de Max Linder Blu-ray from Editions Montparnasse have English subtitles?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#658 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:40 pm

L.A. wrote:Does the Le Cinéma de Max Linder Blu-ray from Editions Montparnasse have English subtitles?
Can't see anything about intertitles but the 2 dvds of bonus and supplements have subs or english track
http://www.cinefaniac.fr/dvd/test-478-l ... inder.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maybe drop Ann Harding a PM to ask her if she knows or e-mail EM?

JPJ

#659 Post by JPJ » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:28 pm

L.A. wrote:Does the Le Cinéma de Max Linder Blu-ray from Editions Montparnasse have English subtitles?
From blu-ray.com forum:"The new DVD or Blu-Ray release does not have English intertitles, but it does have an audio option for English. Then you see French titles, but someone speaks the English translation. It's fine, actually." Strange decision.

Jonathan S

#660 Post by Jonathan S » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:50 am

That quote seems at variance with these remarks on Nitrateville:
smari1989 wrote:Just received mine, and been watching some of the shorts. They look absolutely STUNNING; one wouldn't think film from before WWI could ever be so sharp. I was also very pleased to discover that the films do provide English subtitles (Linder rarely used inter-titles in his early films, but the ones that do appear are usually significant to the story). The booklet includes a biography on Linder, as far as I can see from one of Maud Linder's books on her father (sadly this is in French only).
From the link Nabob gives it looks like the audio translation is probably only used in the old compilation of the abridged American features (known in English as Laugh with Max Linder or Pop Goes the Cork). I'd also expect the documentary/compilation The Man in the Silk Hat to have the option of English narration as Maud Linder prepared such a version for the original 1983 release (which I still have on a US commercial VHS issue). Can anyone who has the set confirm any of this please?

L.A.

#661 Post by L.A. » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:10 am

Thank you for your replies NABOB, JPJ and Jonathan S.

TheSilence

#662 Post by TheSilence » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:55 pm

I have the Blu-ray set and can confirm that all the shorts have the original French inter-titles with optional English subtitles.
The documentary and 3 feature's have both French and English narration, with any inter-titles being audibly translated into English rather than subbed.

I really can't stress enough how impressive this whole set is, with stunning picture quality throughout.
The only minor quibble would be that the 3 features have been edited together, and are not complete films.

Saturnome

#663 Post by Saturnome » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:24 pm

TheSilence wrote:The only minor quibble would be that the 3 features have been edited together, and are not complete films.
That's not minor though, isn't it? These films exist in far more complete versions, I don't understand. That make the Blu-ray worth it for the shorts and the extras only, in my opinion.

L.A.

#664 Post by L.A. » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:25 pm

TheSilence wrote:
I have the Blu-ray set and can confirm that all the shorts have the original French inter-titles with optional English subtitles.
The documentary and 3 feature's have both French and English narration, with any inter-titles being audibly translated into English rather than subbed.

I really can't stress enough how impressive this whole set is, with stunning picture quality throughout.
The only minor quibble would be that the 3 features have been edited together, and are not complete films.
Thanks for the info.

Jonathan S

#665 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:48 am

Saturnome wrote:
TheSilence wrote:The only minor quibble would be that the 3 features have been edited together, and are not complete films.
That's not minor though, isn't it? These films exist in far more complete versions, I don't understand. That make the Blu-ray worth it for the shorts and the extras only, in my opinion.
Although I agree it would have been nice to have the American features in more complete versions (and of course Seven Years' Bad Luck was released like that here), the French set's presentation of them appears to be simply a new transfer of Maud's 1963 feature compilation En compagnie de Max Linder. So it's basically another substantial extra, like her 1983 L'homme au chapeau de soie.

Maybe someone else is planning to release the restored version of The Three Must-Get-Theres seen here.

L.A.

#666 Post by L.A. » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:55 pm

This one looks interesting, released by the National Film Archive of India:

1st Indian film Raja Harishchandra now on DVD

perkizitore

#667 Post by perkizitore » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Is that available from any retailers that ship internationally?

L.A.

#668 Post by L.A. » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:39 am

Die Biene Maja und ihre Abenteuer / The Adventures of Maya the Bee (1925)

Available now on DVD. Also some information about the release @ NitrateVille.

L.A.

#669 Post by L.A. » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:44 pm

L.A. wrote:This one looks interesting, released by the National Film Archive of India:

1st Indian film Raja Harishchandra now on DVD
Available for purchase @ Induna.com. Placed an order just a few minutes ago, 17,40€ delivered.

perkizitore

#670 Post by perkizitore » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:57 pm

I didn't realize until now that is one DVD only, it's not such a bargain as the Tagore set then.

Saimo

#671 Post by Saimo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Tina Modotti Collection
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tina_Modotti
Italian photographer/model/actress (1896-1942), she also starred in three American films between 1920 and 1922. Only the first, The Tiger's Coat (1920), survived in a 16mm reduction print, restored by La Cineteca del Friuli and now available in this boxset. Also included a 51-minute documentary by Silvano Castano (in French, with Italian subs) and a 100+ photo gallery, with images from Modotti's lost films.
http://www.amazon.it/Tina-Modotti-Cofan ... 0025YLOIQ/

Some screenshots:

L.A.

#672 Post by L.A. » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:36 pm

Does the Arte Éditions DVD of Cyrano de Bergerac (1925) have English subtitles? What about the extras?

osmin

#673 Post by osmin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:25 am

L.A. wrote:Does the Arte Éditions DVD of Cyrano de Bergerac (1925) have English subtitles? What about the extras?
I own the German arte DVD. Must be the same as the French edition. The title cards are in French (obviously not the original titles) with English and German subtitles. But beware of the English subs. They are really bad. Extras are a 3 minute silent from 1900, an introduction with Jean-Paul Rappeneau and a short interview with Claudine Kaufmann about the restoration.

I think the cheapest way to get the DVD is to order it from grooves.

EddieLarkin

#674 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:29 pm

David Shepard has confirmed over at Nitrateville that the Chaplin Mutual shorts will be coming to Blu-ray next year!

We're now getting pretty close to the whole of Chaplin's filmography existing in definite editions. Obviously Criterion have nearly all of his post Mutual work, and his Keystone stuff is available in a recent, definite edition from the BFI/Flicker Alley (albeit not on Blu-ray, but I imagine most of it is not suitable and never will be). Only his Essanay shorts are now still languishing on outdated decade old sets, so hopefully we'll see some new work done on them soon. I seem to recall the BFI saying they had plans for them after they were done with the Keystones.

captveg

#675 Post by captveg » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:32 pm

Awesome