It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:00 pm 

Thank you both Ann Harding and Jonathan S for your replies. Was expecting it not to be English-friendly but wanted to ask just in case.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:02 pm 

Not sure is this the first Australian silent on Blu-ray but National Film and Sound Archive of Australia has released The Kid Stakes (1927) quite recently. From their site:

Quote:
Please Note: This Bluray is produced in BD-R format ('burned') and as such may not play in certain Bluray players. Please check your equipment.

If it's a BD-R then no thanks.

I have The Sentimental Bloke (1918) which is a normal DVD. What about those other silents released by NFSA, are they normal DVDs as well?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:36 am 

rockysds wrote:
Last year Les Documents Cinématographiques released a completely English friendly release of four surviving Louis Delluc films, recently restored in 2K:
Le Chemin d'Ernoa, La Femme de nulle part, Fièvre and L'Inondation plus a disc of extras (also English subbed) that includes fragments from La Fête espagnole.
I recently became aware of this and purchased through amazon.fr and having now seen the middle two feel confident enough to recommend it. Not eye-popping discs, but it looks like decent prints transferred ably and the films themselves are very strong.

More info about the set and extras: here.

Having this in my Amazon basket for some time I noticed it being suddenly not available anymore. I wrote Les Documents Cinématographiques and they informed me that they are indeed almost out of stock. They have some for their own shop and a further handful was supplied to Amazon.fr, but then apparently that's it. So those interested should probably strongly consider buying this set.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:39 am 

Luther – Ein Film der deutschen Reformation (Hans Kyser, 1928)

According to this article a DVD is coming. Do I understand this correctly?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:51 am 

Yes, it should be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:24 pm 

L.A. wrote:
Luther – Ein Film der deutschen Reformation (Hans Kyser, 1928)

According to this article a DVD is coming. Do I understand this correctly?

This site of the Bundesarchiv, published four days after the Deutschlandfunk article, clearly states that the film can not be purchased, it is only accessible at the Bundesarchiv. That may change in a few years though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:45 pm 

Given all the attention this restauration gets - if only because of the Luther anniversary year - I'm quite optimistic that some label will officially release a dvd later this year; or at least an arte TV broadcast seems very likely to me.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:49 am 

vogler wrote:
Tommaso wrote:
I never even noticed the BFI had released "South"

The BFI South dvd is a beautiful package. I bought if for my Mother's birthday due to her interest in Shackleton's expedition and whilst I have not had a chance to watch it all the way through yet (she lives many hundreds of miles from me) I did watch some of it and it looks absolutely beautiful. It is also such incredibly valuable archive material and I was amazed that it exists at all. I've been meaning to buy a copy for myself and I'll get there in the end.

Watched this today and the BFI DVD is really buggy. I couldn’t get many of the extras to play on my PC with any player (VLC, Kodi, PotPlayer). Seems to be fine on my Blu-ray player, but very odd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32