The John Wayne / John Ford Film Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Scharphedin2

#26 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sat May 27, 2006 6:12 pm

kinjitsu wrote:
tryavna wrote:BTW, what exactly is the difference between the 2-disc and "Ultimate" editions of The Searchers?
The Searchers: Ultimate Collector's Edition includes a Two-Disc Special Edition DVD with extensive all-new bonus features, plus a full color 36-page press book, a 36-page reproduction of the original Dell comic book, filmmaker memos and correspondence, several behind-the-scenes photos and a mail-in theatrical poster.
Sorry, I am still confused... so, the edition of THE SEARCHERS included in the box set is the Ultimate Edition, which includes all the items mentioned in Kinjitsu's post, or...?

Gigi M.

#27 Post by Gigi M. » Mon May 29, 2006 5:37 am

That's correct.

The Searchers DVDTown review

kinjitsu

#28 Post by kinjitsu » Mon May 29, 2006 1:27 pm

Scharphedin2 wrote:Sorry, I am still confused... so, the edition of THE SEARCHERS included in the box set is the Ultimate Edition, which includes all the items mentioned in Kinjitsu's post, or...?
That makes two of us. Apparently, the Ulitmate Edition is included in the 8-disc set, however, Warner's DVD shop lists the same features for both the Ultimate Edition and 50th Anniversary Collector's Edition, so go figure.

Gigi M.

#29 Post by Gigi M. » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:17 am

kinjitsu, both editions have the same extras. The ultimate edition included in the Box Set has some other goodies not available in the 2 disc anniversary edition. Is the same shit as the King Kong tin case edition. Some lobby cards, posters, etc.

Savant's review
The John Wayne / John Ford Collection is yet another pricey box that will entice many a hardcore film fan ... considering what it holds, it's a bargain if one does not already own earlier editions of some of its titles. Watching one of these a week, however, would fulfill a couple of months' worth of Friday night screenings - and they look great on a big monitor. What's better is that Warners keeps finding extras for their 2-disc special editions that are worth the extra expense and effort. I think I'll pull down my old Janey Place books on John Ford and see if her analysis still holds up.

rgross

#30 Post by rgross » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:12 am

In Savant's review he speculates in so many words that, in The Searchers, Ethan may be Martin's father.

I've always speculated that Ethan was Debbie's father. It explains a lot for me.

Maybe both??! Or way out over the edge?

Gigi M.

#31 Post by Gigi M. » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:21 am

Wow, what a great set this is. I got it last Wednesday, and I must say this is the set of year. The Searchers is without a dought the best release so far this year. Kudos to Warner for putting so much love and effort into these films.
Last edited by Gigi M. on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

htdm

#32 Post by htdm » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:30 am

Definitely. As overwhelming as this newer version of The Searchers was, I found Stagecoach to be pretty disappointing. Maybe my expectations for it were too high, but I didn't notice any real improvement. Looking at Gary's captures, the new version appears to have less detail and more brightness boosting than the previous edition.

bjeggert82

#33 Post by bjeggert82 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:23 pm

gigimonagas wrote:Wow, what a great set this is. I got it last Wednesday, and I must say this is the set of year. The Searchers is without a dought the best release so far this year. Kudos to Warner for putting so much love and effort into these films.
I agree... I was especially pleased to find another mail in offer for a free poster (they did the same thing last year with KING KONG). THE SEARCHERS poster on the mail in form looks pretty cool, and similar ones going for $20-$25 on eBay. So for $3.25 (shipping costs) they send you a nice poster, that's also better quality than the crappy reprints they sell on eBay.

Oh Warners, I love you...

Jean-Luc Garbo

Re: John Wayne-John Ford Collection

#34 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu May 28, 2009 4:10 pm

Did anyone else get They Were Expendable in one of those "clipper" cases instead of the standard keepcase when they got this set? I find it very odd that everything else is a standard keepcase save this one title.

Props55

#35 Post by Props55 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:07 pm

I can't address the Ford/Wayne box but I was surprised to find NORTH BY NORTHWEST in my Hitch Signature set in the old snapper while all the other titles were in standard keep cases. Apparently Warner figured they could unload a surplus of snappers by placing them within these boxsets.

Cash Flagg

#36 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu May 28, 2009 7:24 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Did anyone else get They Were Expendable in one of those "clipper" cases instead of the standard keepcase when they got this set? I find it very odd that everything else is a standard keepcase save this one title.
Me too. Sticks out like a sore thumb.

Svevan

#37 Post by Svevan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Did anyone else get They Were Expendable in one of those "clipper" cases instead of the standard keepcase when they got this set? I find it very odd that everything else is a standard keepcase save this one title.
This happened to me too - I'm sure it's the same disc since Warner didn't re-do the Expendable DVD when they made this box (three or four years ago). I do feel a bit cheated on the artwork though...

manicsounds

Re: The John Wayne / John Ford Film Collection

#38 Post by manicsounds » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:24 am

blu-ray.com wrote:Next February, Warner Home Entertainment will release Fort Apache on Blu-ray. Directed by John Ford (The Searchers), this first entry in Ford's unofficial "Cavalry Trilogy" stars John Wayne (Rio Bravo) and Henry Fonda (Once Upon a Time in the West) as two cavalry officers at odds with one another over what they each perceive to be proper treatment of the Apache tribe.

Warner has not yet announced the technical and supplementary specifications for the Blu-ray, though the previous DVD edition presented the film in its original aspect ratio of 1.37:1 with the following bonus features:

Monument Valley: John Ford Country featurette
Theatrical trailer
Fort Apache streets on February 21st, 2012

Peacock

#39 Post by Peacock » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:56 am

[-o< Please include Gallagher's visual essay!

hearthesilence

#40 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Wonderful news! I was debating whether to get the Wayne/Ford DVD collection for a while, uncertain whether any more films would be reissued on Blu-Ray. Hope they do She Wore a Yellow Ribbon next.

Props55

#41 Post by Props55 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Great news but not entirely unanticipated (at least by me) as a gorgeous HD transfer made its debut on Netflix about 18 months ago. Agreed with hearthesilence about YELLOW RIBBON as IB Tech titles are more problematic to produce but seem to benefit enormously in transfering to blu. Now if only Paramount/Republic/Lionsgate would get their ass in gear with THE QUIET MAN!

manicsounds

#42 Post by manicsounds » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Don't know why Warner hid this information, but the new BD of Fort Apache has a new commentary by FX Feeney, which dvdbeaver is wrong, was not on the previous DVD.