Cecil B. DeMille Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Gigi M.

#1 Post by Gigi M. » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:02 am

From DVD ACTIVE
Universal Home Video has sent over some details on a new five-disc Cecil B. DeMille Collection which includes Sign of the Cross, Four Frightened People, Cleopatra, The Crusades and Union Pacific. Each of the films will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame, along with English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono tracks. English, French and Spanish subtitles will also be provided. We have no word on extra material at this time. You'll be able to own this one from the 23rd May, priced at around $59.98 or thereabouts. Stay tuned for the art.

htdm

#2 Post by htdm » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:54 pm

Great news, thanks gigimonagas. I haven't seen Four Frightened People since it showed on TV in the 60s.

Is it just me or does anyone else find Universal's approach to pricing its classic film collections more than a bit schizophrenic? They fire sale the Cooper, Classic Monsters, and Abbott and Costello collections and then gouge us on things like W.C. Fields. I know the running times on this DeMille set must be longer than the other films, but $60? Ouch!

Gigi M.

#3 Post by Gigi M. » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:35 pm

dmkb wrote:Great news, thanks gigimonagas.
Your're welcome.

Universal pricing policy has always being strange. Just a few days ago they announced The Glamour Collections (All 2-discer) for Marlene Dietrich, Mae West and Carole Lombard titles at $26.98. Now they have a 5 disc Demille Set at $59.98. What the hell? And on top of that the titles won't be available separately. Just great Universal.

Anyway, is all good. Finally a Demille set.

unclehulot

#4 Post by unclehulot » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:00 pm

Well, these are longer films than the ones doubled up in some of those collections you mentioned, so I don't find it to be gouging.

I do fail to understand the Fields and Marx Brothers needing that particular packaging, but given the pressing glitches with many Universal's DVD18's, I think it's best to welcome these single-sided releases, and what the hey, it's still about the cost of 1 1/2 Criterions.

clutch44

#5 Post by clutch44 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:29 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the set included a disc of extra material. The discounted price should be $42 online from the usual sources.

htdm

#6 Post by htdm » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:58 am

I was hoping for supplements, too. (It would be great for example to have Kevin Brownlow's two part documenty on C.B. but I believe that Warner's has the rights) Most of the sites I've seen have this listed as a 5 disc box so I kind of doubt that they'll do anything creative, but you never know. By the way, it looks like the cover art has now been posted on DVD ACTIVE (see the link in the first post).

Anyhow, not that I'm complaining but, what's behind this sudden interest in DeMille? Image's three silent double features, both versions of the Ten Commandments in March, and rumors of The Volga Boatman...is his centennial coming or did I just miss a memo?

djali999

#7 Post by djali999 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:08 pm

I think that the difference between "box sets" such as these and their "Franchise Collections" is that the FC's are essentially housecleaning - you get the good with the bad and everything in between, which is frankly and often more interesting than just a presentation of classics.

By and large the Franchises are aimed to target a certain short-term market with the exception of some of their older library, which are seemingly released at random in the first half of the year simply as affordable package deals. The general FC's, though, usually coincide with a holiday or to promote a certain event (they released beautifully designed boxes for The Mummy and Jurassic Park bundled with King Kong movie tickets to promote that film). The vintage FC's, though, like Gary Cooper, are often more cannily selected, bundling minor work with major anchoring titles like Beau Geste. Furthermore, they are mostly presold on name value alone.

I think the difference is that these box sets are designed to have a more lasting market than those FC's. Fans of Marx Brothers or W.C. don't need a major marketing blitz to want to own decent packages of major work. Universal knows those deMille fans will snatch this up anyway and thus can price gouge. If Sturges and Wilder boxes ever see the light of day, they'll be the deluxe packages as well.

I just hope this'll be a less awkward package than those absurd Marx and Fields sets... I don't need to be punished with folding flippy-floppy books if I want to watch Animal Crackers.

Gigi M.

#8 Post by Gigi M. » Mon May 22, 2006 5:41 pm

Savant's review.