Mel Brooks Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
dx23

#1 Post by dx23 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:16 pm

From DavisDVD.com:
20th Century Fox has announced The Mel Brooks Collection for release on April 4th. The eight-disc set will include Blazing Saddles (on loan from Warner Bros), new editions of History of the World Part I, Robin Hood Men in Tights and Young Frankenstein, along with the debuts of High Anxiety, Silent Movie, To Be or Not to Be and Twelve Chairs. All will feature anamorphic transfers and trailers. "Robin Hood" also includes an HBO special, while "To Be or Not to Be" has a featurette. Retail is $99.98.
http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html

Alonzo the Armless

#2 Post by Alonzo the Armless » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:47 pm

Not much of a good deal, is it? Almost $100 for only 2 great movies (Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein), a couple okay ones (History of the World, High Anxiety) , and some crappy ones (the rest, except for The Twelve Chairs which I've never seen)? The only features available are for 2 of the worst selections.

justeleblanc

#3 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:07 pm

Hi-- did Mel Brooks also have something to do with Gene Wilder's Sherlock Holmes film? It is also being released in April and it also stars Dom DeLuise and Marty Feldman. Does anyone know if it is any good?

tavernier

#4 Post by tavernier » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:58 pm

dx23 wrote:From DavisDVD.com:
20th Century Fox has announced The Mel Brooks Collection for release on April 4th. The eight-disc set will include Blazing Saddles (on loan from Warner Bros), new editions of History of the World Part I, Robin Hood Men in Tights and Young Frankenstein, along with the debuts of High Anxiety, Silent Movie, To Be or Not to Be and Twelve Chairs. All will feature anamorphic transfers and trailers. "Robin Hood" also includes an HBO special, while "To Be or Not to Be" has a featurette. Retail is $99.98.
http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html
The Twelve Chairs is not a DVD debut: I have the OOP Image disc from 1997.

Barmy

#5 Post by Barmy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:12 pm

Twelve Chairs is not that bad. Blazing Saddles? Overrated. Anyway I would be embarrassed to have this on my shelf.

Antoine Doinel

#6 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:23 pm

I really hope they issue Robin Hood: Men In Tights as a single disc later on.

Michael

#7 Post by Michael » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:35 pm

Not a Mel Brooks film but it was directed by his wife and also starred their friend. When are they gonna release Fatso on DVD? Come on!

edit: Fatso is set to be released on DVD from Anchor Bay in mid-June.

Barmy

#8 Post by Barmy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:55 pm

I'm so glad Fatso is getting released--much more important than more Naruse.

justeleblanc

#9 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:39 pm

Barmy wrote:Twelve Chairs is not that bad. Blazing Saddles? Overrated. Anyway I would be embarrassed to have this on my shelf.
Agreed, Blazing Saddles wasn't much of a favorite of mine. Maybe I saw it for the first time when I was too old. And I wouldn't mind picking up a copy of Twelve Chairs or High Anxiety if they were sold individually. Too bad. My guess is the packaging is a flip-type as well.

Did anyone ever notice that High Anxiety is pretty much a Brian De Palma film?

tavernier

#10 Post by tavernier » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:31 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Did anyone ever notice that High Anxiety is pretty much a Brian De Palma film?
But much more entertaining!

justeleblanc

#11 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:49 pm

Does anyone know if this collection features regular amaray cases?

Gigi M.

#12 Post by Gigi M. » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:55 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Does anyone know if this collection features regular amaray cases?
No juste. The movies are each housed in slimpacks, like the Herzog's sets.

Gigi M.

#13 Post by Gigi M. » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:56 pm

Be aware that Young Frankenstein might not be anamorphic. There's a threat at DVDTALK that explain the issue. I was one that got screwed by a non-amamorphic Frankenstein.

Ashirg

#14 Post by Ashirg » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:24 am

All titles in the boxset (except for Blazing Saddles which is Warner) will be available separately on September 5 for 14.98 each.