Tracy and Hepburn Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
hamsterburger

Tracy and Hepburn Collection

#1 Post by hamsterburger » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:40 pm

Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy: The Signature Collection.

Product Description
The films included are Woman of the Year, Pat and Mike, Adam's Rib and The Spencer Tracy Legacy. Woman of the Year (1942) was the first collaboration between Hepburn and Tracy, and you can see why it was the spark that ignited the flame that lasted 25 years, in this classic battle of the sexes. In Adam's Rib (1949), the duo are back at it again, except this time they are in the courtroom battling it out as two married lawyers - on opposite sides of a case! Pat and Mike (1952) was George Cukor's eighth and final collaboration with Katharine Hepburn, but this magnificent film about the improbable relationship between a female golfer and a sports promoter was a movie that proved to be ahead of its time in terms of sexual politics, and earned the production two Academy Award? Nominations: Best Story and Best Screenplay. For the first time on DVD and sold exclusively in this collection is the very special The Spencer Tracy Legacy: A Tribute by Katharine Hepburn (1986) in which Katharine Hepburn looks back on the life of her former co-star and best friend, Spencer Tracy, in a touching and insightful look at one of the great American actors.

justeleblanc

#2 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:19 am

Yes, they're snappers. That's why I never bought it.

hamsterburger

#3 Post by hamsterburger » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:27 am

Thanks for that info. I suspected as much. Oh well. :|

Jeff

Re: Tracy and Hepburn Collection

#4 Post by Jeff » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:41 pm

A new Tracy and Hepburn Definitive Collection is coming to DVD on April 12. It includes first-time releases of Kazan's Sea of Grass and Cukor's Keeper of the Flame, both of which will also be available separately. They've licensed Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? from Sony, Desk Set from Fox, and State of the Union from Universal for inclusion in the set. It has Without Love, that was previously available in a Hepburn set, and of course it also includes the titles previously found in the Signature Collection: Adam's Rib, Pat & Mike, and Woman of the Year. The 86-minute PBS Tracy doc from that set will also be included. The MSRP for the full set is only $59.92, and the two new singles are $19.97.

myrnaloyisdope

#5 Post by myrnaloyisdope » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Just thought I'd point out that Sea of Grass is in the Hepburn set.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:11 pm

No it isn't, you're thinking of the Corn Is Green, I assume

myrnaloyisdope

#7 Post by myrnaloyisdope » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:01 am

I just looked at the set last night and alas I was wrong. I think I had the Kazan and the Minnelli film in the set linked for some reason, so I was just thinking they were both in the set. Thanks for the correction Domino.

Gregory

#8 Post by Gregory » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:28 am

I think this is cause for some celebration. Most of this has been available before, but I don't have most of it*, myself, and just look at that price! Plus, it's been awhile since we could count on this type of prestige set from Warner.
* I've never been enthralled with most of the Tracy-Hepburn comedies. I've seen them all before, and my local library has them, but it will be nice to own everything in one package. More of the Tracy-Hepburn dramas are especially welcome.
I'd love to see a Blu-ray of Desk Set someday, but it probably won't happen.

souvenir

#9 Post by souvenir » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:42 pm

Packaging info for anyone interested: the set comes in a thick, transparent plastic keepsize with an outer box slipcover. Inside are ten separate DVDs and a little insert/booklet with a few words on each film. The discs have consistent disc art (simple, solid-colored with each one a different color) from one to the next, even the non-WB titles.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:35 pm

Related: Katharine Hepburn on a skateboard

Tumblr rules so hard, you guys

Askew

#11 Post by Askew » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:34 am

I've been going through the newer collection lately and half way through Sea of Grass, the film switches to the second half of Red Riding Hood (2011). Apparently this is a common defect, so does anyone know if it's possible to get a replacement or who I should contact?

Gregory

#12 Post by Gregory » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:32 pm

That's a credit to Warner's that they'd replace a defective disc like that. I bought a Sony Pictures Classics blu-ray from Amazon and didn't watch it before the "return window" expired, only to then find that the disc is defective and won't play past the menu screen.
Sony Pictures Classics has e-mail contact disabled on their website. I finally found a phone number for SPC, and the person who took my call said, "We don't deal with merchandise, and I have no idea who you should even call. Try the factory that made the disc." (a suggestion that's preposterous to the point of being stupid) and then hung up on me. So I'll be very hesitant about ordering any more of their releases in the future.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:50 pm

You could always order it from Amazon, switch it out, and then return the faulty disc to Amazon

FrauBlucher

#14 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Gregory wrote:That's a credit to Warner's that they'd replace a defective disc like that.
At least there is one department at Warner Bros that's not interested in ripping off their customers.

MarkFilipak

#15 Post by MarkFilipak » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm the guy who left the original reply to Askew. The forum deleted my reply, so I'm repeating it here.

To get that defective Sea of Grass disc replaced, contact Ms. Sherri Bogard at Warner Bros.

Sherri Bogard
Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91522

818-977-6065
Sherri.Bogard@warnerbros.com

You need to send a copy of your receipt (if available), a brief note stating the problem, and your postal address.

Ms. Bogard sent me a prepaid mailer, I sent the disc to her, and in less than a week I had the replacement disc.

HTH,
Mark.
domino harvey wrote:You could always order it from Amazon, switch it out, and then return the faulty disc to Amazon
Three problems with that approach: 1, It's dishonest, 2, the disc from Amazon would probably also be defective -- it's a defective DVD master stamper, not a defective DVD copy, and 3, Amazon would replace the entire box set, so you'd wind up with two box sets and no money.