Turtles Can Fly

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Steven H

#1 Post by Steven H » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:05 pm

DVDplanet link here. I missed this during its festival run last year, but loved A Time For Drunken Horses, I'm sure this film will be more than great.

iangj

#2 Post by iangj » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:33 pm

Steven H wrote:DVDplanet link here. I missed this during its festival run last year, but loved A Time For Drunken Horses, I'm sure this film will be more than great.
I thought A Time For Drunken Horses was great, too. But I found both Marooned In Iraq and Turtles Can Fly a lot less than great, the latter in particular. Perhaps the cute kid component is wearing thin.

Arcadean

#3 Post by Arcadean » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:48 pm

The local art house theater near me was going to play the movie and announced it on their website as upcoming. About 1-2 weeks before it was going to open it vanished from their website and was never shown here. I will have to wait for the DVD to see it.

franco

#4 Post by franco » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:09 pm

Is anyone able to ascertain whether the MGM DVD has director's commentary? I got this idea from amazon.ca and Barnes & Noble.

Anonymous

#5 Post by Anonymous » Tue May 23, 2006 5:46 pm

Yes, this is a fairly wonderful film, although the metaphysical elements of the narrative are a little uncomfortable. MAROONED IN IRAQ is, for me, Ghobadi's greatest achievement thus far; warm, human and humorous, yet simultaneously unsentimental, powerful and brutally honest. One of my favourite films of the last few years.