Warner Catalog Titles on BD/UHD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
The Narrator Returns

Re: Warner Catalog Titles on Blu

#101 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri May 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Blade Runner 30th Anniversary Edition announced
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Warner cashing-in on anniversary dates. I watched Warner recycle the same-old content in shiny new packaging. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

HistoryProf

#102 Post by HistoryProf » Sat May 26, 2012 11:35 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:Blade Runner 30th Anniversary Edition announced
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Warner cashing-in on anniversary dates. I watched Warner recycle the same-old content in shiny new packaging. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...
i just noticed this week that all the Blade Runner blus were OOP...had no idea. of course it makes perfect sense that they'd simply try to repackage the big edition for another cash grab. The odd mish mash of titles they are putting out on top of these repackaging efforts is just bizarre. I'm also down for New Jack City actually...and Empire of the Sun looks to be a nice effort. but it's shocking how little of their output is ending up on my wishlist.

dx23

#103 Post by dx23 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:50 pm

Talking about repackaging, WB has released some catalog titles on steelbooks exclusively at Best Buy.. It's almost certain that all releases eliminate the digital copies the previously included but there are some of these BDs that also eliminated the extras or second discs while others still have them. Inception is one of those releases that is movie only on steelbook. I know there is a steelbook fanbase out there but don't know why the some have two discs and others don't.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#104 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 31, 2012 6:51 am

Dave and the American President on September 25... but no the Candidate

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#105 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Masters of the Universe on October 2nd

The Narrator Returns

#106 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Warner's slogan should be "We Give You What You Don't Want."

hearthesilence

#107 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:06 pm

JFC, another crappy relic from the '80s. I wouldn't mind nostalgia if it brought back some good stuff instead of this shit.

Gregory

#108 Post by Gregory » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:32 pm

$80 Collectors' Set including an inflatable sword and axe, and a red "warrior whip"?

vsski

#109 Post by vsski » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:43 am

Masters of the Universe - really????? These MOD titles are starting to look more attractive every day (never thought I would say that ](*,) )

knives

#110 Post by knives » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:44 am

I guess that's the ultimate statement to who is still buying DVDs.

onedimension

#111 Post by onedimension » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Singin' In The Rain listed on Amazon, July 17th..

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#112 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:44 pm

Yes, and there's also a non-umbrella edition, which you can currently preorder for only $13.99. But then what will you do when it rains?

onedimension

#113 Post by onedimension » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:30 pm

sing, probably

kekid

#114 Post by kekid » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:18 pm

swo17 wrote:Yes, and there's also a non-umbrella edition, which you can currently preorder for only $13.99. But then what will you do when it rains?
The special edition shows 3 discs, the regular edition only 1. Apart from the umbrella, what actual content does the special edition have that the regular one does not?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#115 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:27 pm

At least one of the three discs in the big box is just a DVD. Extras included on both releases:

• Commentary by Debbie Reynolds, Donald O'Connor, Cyd Charisse, Kathleen Freeman, Stanley Donen, Betty Comden, Adolph Green, Baz Luhrmann, and Rudy Behlmer
• "Singin' in the Rain: Raining on a New Generation" All New Documentary
• Trailer

The single disc is also described as including a "jump to song" feature--presumably this just means scene selection.

Extras apparently included in the big box but not in the single disc edition:

• "Great Performances: Musicals Great Musicals: The Arthur Freed Unit at MGM" (1996 PBS Documentary)
• "What a Glorious Feeling: The Making of Singin' in the Rain"
• "You Are My Lucky Star" Outtake
• Nacio Herb Brown, Arthur Freed Film Excerpts (A collection of 12 film clips from earlier movies that originally carried the Freed/Brown songs.)
• 26xScoring Stage Session Cues
• Stills Gallery

I believe all of these (except for the new doc, featured on both releases) were all included as extras in the 2-disc DVD edition.

Finally, for those bemoaning the price difference between the two releases, bear in mind that the umbrella is "full-sized!" "40 inches in diameter!" and "valued at $29.99!"

vsski

#116 Post by vsski » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Swo - you are forgetting that other than the gorgeous umbrella for the incredible value of $29.99 the big box also includes a "48 page hard cover production book with never-before-seen memos and photos and theatrical poster reproductions".

So for $76.49 (current Amazon price for the big box) instead of the $13.99 for the BD only or a measly extra $62.50, you're getting all the old 2-disc content, the umbrella, the book and poster reproduction.

CR2

#117 Post by CR2 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:04 am

I think Warners' master plan is to release everything that nobody wants cheap on bluray and put out the really good stuff on Warner Archive to force us to shell out for $22 DVD-Rs as opposed to letting us have $16 HD versions of movies we actually want.

You'll all tell me I'm crazy til you realize I'm right.

Gregory

#118 Post by Gregory » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:10 am

Just because Masters of the Universe stinks doesn't mean it won't sell. I'd guess that it'll outsell just about any Warner title I'd most want them to put out on blu. I looked the DVD up on Amazon and am seeing over a hundred earnest ovations and a pretty solid sales rank for a title that's been available on DVD for over a decade.

Adam X

#119 Post by Adam X » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:00 am

Never underestimate the power of Dolph

colinr0380

#120 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:54 pm

If I didn't have so many other, more important, things I want to pick up I think I might consider getting it just for the nostalgia value - for some reason it was playing in the "backstage area" (i.e. one of the classrooms) during the evening that my primary school put on their yearly theatrical production. It was an adaptation of Oliver!, and since my role in the production was limited to being one of the background urchins in the orphanage at the beginning banging an empty bowl and singing about "Food, Glorious Food", my part was over early on and I ended up spending most of the rest of the evening watching Dolph Lundgren as He-Man with the rest of the class instead!

(My only memory of the production of Oliver! is that the kid who got the lead role overacted hugely during the rehearsals! But then I suppose he should be given some leeway as I think we all must have been only 8 or 9 years old at the time!)

hearthesilence

#122 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:46 pm

Gregory wrote:Just because Masters of the Universe stinks doesn't mean it won't sell. I'd guess that it'll outsell just about any Warner title I'd most want them to put out on blu. I looked the DVD up on Amazon and am seeing over a hundred earnest ovations and a pretty solid sales rank for a title that's been available on DVD for over a decade.
I'd feel better about it if there was a sticker on the package that said "profits from this shitty movie is directly financing our new restoration of Rio Bravo, so shut your hole."

AfterTheRain

#123 Post by AfterTheRain » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:35 pm

Dead Ringer on Blu. Now there's a title I didn't expect to get the Blu-ray treatment.

knives

#124 Post by knives » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 pm

I guess we shouldn't underestimate the want for horror or that boring guy from Casablanca.

John Hodson

#125 Post by John Hodson » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:13 am

CR2 wrote:I think Warners' master plan is to release everything that nobody wants cheap on bluray and put out the really good stuff on Warner Archive to force us to shell out for $22 DVD-Rs as opposed to letting us have $16 HD versions of movies we actually want.
I'm (reasonably) reliably informed that Warner are prepping BD-Rs as their next step in Archive releases, so God knows that they'll expect you to pay for them...