Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

#176 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:02 am

I'd like to throw in a recommendation for Starting Over while it's still cheap. I picked up a copy solely on the strength of Pakula being in the director's chair, without even realizing it was James L Brooks' first film as screenwriter. Well, I honestly can't remember the last comedy I saw that made me laugh so hard so consistently throughout. Candice Bergen steals the show and her aspiring singer-songwriter has what might be the funniest seduction scene I've ever seen. For under ten bucks and soon to disappear forever, you can't go wrong with this one, folks.

tojoed

#177 Post by tojoed » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:50 am

Matt wrote:
david hare wrote:What is the current status of Heller in Pink Tights?
OOP, but available cheaply from third-party sellers on Amazon.
And the UK edition is available from Amazon for £1.99.

HistoryProf

#178 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Well i've relocated now and scouted two KC area B&Ns - one was a goldmine as Domino suggested. Not only do they have just about everything Criterion, but I found the following OOP Paramounts (all of them priced $12.99 or $9.99 and part of the B2G1 sale):

No Way to treat A Lady
The President's Analyst
Some Kind of Wonderful SE
Greatest Show on Earth
The Last Tycoon
Paper Moon
This Property is Condemned
Lil Abner

the last few are really getting pricey....the Lil Abner especially. I put back Clue and a couple of others when I remembered they were still in print. Was hoping to find The Entity and Harold and Maude, but no luck. I also saw the Jerry Lewis Collection w/ ten flicks - it's $59.99 - about what it's going for on Amazon Marketplace still....but if someone wants I'll be happy to pick it up for them later this week when I start the CC crawl.

HistoryProf

#179 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:24 pm

Is anyone familiar with This Property is Condemned? I'm not familiar with it at all, but Sidney Pollack + Tennessee Williams + Redford/Natalie Wood would seem to be a guaranteed win. Was really happy to find it as I knew it was one of the pricier titles, and surely gone forever from dvd. is it a keeper though?
domino harvey wrote:I'd like to throw in a recommendation for Starting Over while it's still cheap. I picked up a copy solely on the strength of Pakula being in the director's chair, without even realizing it was James L Brooks' first film as screenwriter. Well, I honestly can't remember the last comedy I saw that made me laugh so hard so consistently throughout. Candice Bergen steals the show and her aspiring singer-songwriter has what might be the funniest seduction scene I've ever seen. For under ten bucks and soon to disappear forever, you can't go wrong with this one, folks.
I can heartily second this recommendation. Bergen is great in it, but I also think it's one of Jill Clayburgh's best roles. I always liked her in flicks like this one...it's a little gem.
Last edited by HistoryProf on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#180 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:58 pm

HistoryProf wrote:Is anyone familiar with This Property is Condemned? I'm not familiar with it at all, but Sidney Pollack + Tennessee Williams + Redford/Natalie Wood would seem to be a guaranteed win. Was really happy to find it as I knew it was one of the pricier titles, and surely gone forever from dvd. is it a keeper though?
It's a very good loose adaptation (though I'm in the minority opinion there) of the period Williams play and Wood gives a great performance, I'd definitely keep it and watch it

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#181 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:07 pm

Movies Unlimited has a page up of the OOP DVDs they still have in stock for list price-- be warned that some of the titles will go out of stock between when you place the order and when the order gets fulfilled, but I was pretty happy with what got through

knives

#182 Post by knives » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:58 pm

Thanks a mill for the link. Only picked up three, but there are a dozen others, EXPLORERS, worth getting for those that don't have them, EXPLORERS.

fdm

#183 Post by fdm » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:47 am

Placed an order from them eariler this week, comprised of titles from that list, a couple of them Paramounts.

Off topic, but was surprised when I ran across La Femme Du Boulanger as I've never run across it as being available on DVD anywhere else. Anybody have any idea what it is I'm getting? (Imagining the worst, but hoping for the best...)

Perkins Cobb

#184 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:55 am

A lot of the titles on that Movies Unlimited list are bootlegs (anything with a chair and a movie screen on the cover), and I'm curious as to how a bootleg goes out of print.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#185 Post by cdnchris » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:57 pm

Just to confirm: The Australian 3 Days of the Condor plays back on region A players? I plan on going region free eventually but would like to get this now. Also, where would the best place be to get Blu-rays from Australia and ship them to the US?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#186 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:05 pm

I think every country's Three Days of the Condor Studio Canal Blu is the same thing, meaning region AB, so it should play fine?

HistoryProf

#187 Post by HistoryProf » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:01 pm

and if you are determined to buy from Australia, i've used EzyDVD with impressive shipping times and great prices. They were THE place to shop for HD DVDs before they all went kaput.

flyonthewall2983

#188 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:28 pm

Unsure of it's status, but I'd recommend Albert Brooks' Real Life which was the first mockumentary, released 5 years before This Is Spinal Tap.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#189 Post by cdnchris » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:38 pm

Actually, I was just directed to to the French Blu-ray for 3 Days... I was only aware of the Australian and German, but if the French one is the same I might just get that one. But if I do go for the Australian I'll look into that site. Thanks!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#190 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:32 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Unsure of it's status, but I'd recommend Albert Brooks' Real Life which was the first mockumentary, released 5 years before This Is Spinal Tap.
Real Life (which is OOP) also has the best trailer of all time, ever

flyonthewall2983

#191 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:51 am

Timely.

ianungstad

#192 Post by ianungstad » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:49 am

Paramount has licensed a few more titles to Lions Gate that have been recently been rereleased: Jimmy Hollywood, Ladybugs

Crap titles but more evidence that they're farming out their library to whoever wants to pay for it. Yay?

dwk

#193 Post by dwk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:42 am

Ian's post reminded me that Don May, Jr. (Synapse Films) said he was talking to Paramount about licensing some of their films.

Of course I didn't ask him if Synapse has, or is going to, license any Paramount films. I was, at the time, more interested in the news that Paramount no longer has the rights to Four Flies on Grey Velvet.

MoonlitKnight

#194 Post by MoonlitKnight » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:07 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Unsure of it's status, but I'd recommend Albert Brooks' Real Life which was the first mockumentary, released 5 years before This Is Spinal Tap.
Actually, Eric Idle's "The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash" beat it by a year. :-$

antnield

#195 Post by antnield » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:26 am

MoonlitKnight wrote:
Actually, Eric Idle's "The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash" beat it by a year. :-$
But don't forget David Holzman's Diary.

Matt

#196 Post by Matt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:35 am

And I suppose it all depends on how seriously you take Las Hurdes / Land Without Bread. Incredibly, many people take it at face value.

dwk

#197 Post by dwk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:41 pm

I asked Don if Synapse is going to release any Paramount titles and he replied: "Nope. We'll wait and see how Olive Films does with their titles before we bother. I know the Legend Films stuff didn't sell all that well."

HarryLong

#198 Post by HarryLong » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:40 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:A lot of the titles on that Movies Unlimited list are bootlegs (anything with a chair and a movie screen on the cover), and I'm curious as to how a bootleg goes out of print.
A cease & desist order?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#199 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:30 pm

My "I Love the 80s" edition of Ordinary People felt really heavy, and upon opening it I discovered a CD of 80s songs was helpfully included. Nothing like "Lips Like Sugar" and "Need You Tonight" to compliment the film

Matt

#200 Post by Matt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:20 pm

I love that part where Mary Tyler Moore teases up her hair a la Ian McCulloch and rocks out.