Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
HistoryProf

Re: Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

#151 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:55 pm

AfterTheRain wrote:The first Olive/Paramount titles are due this month on the 27th. In case you forgot which ones, here they are again:

Union Station (1950)
Appointment With Danger (19510
Dark City (1950)
Crack in the World (1965)
and
Hannie Caulder (1972)

My Favorite Spy and Knock on Wood are due in October - I just found out via http://www.classicflix.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Looks like they are all $24.95 MSRP...not too bad, but I was hoping for $20. Certainly nothing to complain about though...considering the trend of charging $20-25 for DVD-Rs...which I just can't bring myself to pay.

Interestingly enough, they also picked up Milk of Sorrow, one of the Foreign Film Oscar nominees.

ievenlostmycat

#152 Post by ievenlostmycat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:35 pm

Just ordered Wenders' Hammett from a 3rd party on Amazon before it got too high...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#153 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:20 pm

These OOP Paramounts are still available new from Amazon:
A New Kind of Love
the Accused
Atlantic City
Barefoot in the Park
Desire Under the Elms
Detective Story
Election (Blu)
Hud
Laugh Or I'll Shoot Collection (The Naked Gun / Top Secret! / Airplane!)
Naked Gun 33 1/3
the Naked Jungle
No Way to Treat a Lady
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (Blu)
Talented Mr Ripley/School Ties (Double Feature)
3 Days of the Condor

Available new for a price at or below list via Amazon Marketplace but fulfilled by Amazon:
Carrie (Wyler)
Daisy Miller
Hell Is For Heroes
It's All True
Murder on the Orient Express
Starting Over
Wonder Boys

Let me know of any others on Amazon that you come across and I will edit them into this post
Last edited by domino harvey on Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Numero Trois

#154 Post by Numero Trois » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:14 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:The best era for home video was and still is the VHS years.
I don't know. The VHS era was pretty robust for rentals, but the selection available nonetheless was pretty weak. I'm sure a lot of guys on this board remember driving to every Blockbuster in their area just to see which handful of films no other store was carrying. Or going to generic video shops where the clerks would inevitably ask just why you were renting so many miles from home.

No matter what's happening right now, I still think our current time period is the best ever for watching video. It's too bad the studios seem so behind the curve.
Last edited by Numero Trois on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregory

#155 Post by Gregory » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:19 pm

For domino's list in the top post above, It's All True is still available cheaply new but is OOP. And if we allow "available like-new for a price at or below list," then When Words Collide is still eligible for that category.

HistoryProf

#156 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:39 pm

Terms of Endearment, The President's Analyst (1967), A Man Called Horse, and Little Big Man (1970) are still available from Amazon w/ that lame 10% discount.

in stock for $9.98.
Sabrina (1995)
Once Upon A Time in the West
Twilight (1998)
Barefoot in the Park (1967)
A New Kind of Love
Hud
The Naked Jungle (1954)
Eye for an Eye (1996)
Monkeybone (Special Edition) (2001)
Crocodile Dundee 1 & 2
Mean Creek (2005)

in the "can still be had used for under ten bucks via marketplace" category:
Black Sunday
Marathon Man
Nashville
Rosemary's Baby
the Tenant
A Place in the Sun
Sunset Boulevard
Teacher's Pet (1958)
Save the Tiger (1973)
Houseboat (1958)
The Greatest Show on Earth
War and Peace (1956)
The Tin Star
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)
Last Train From Gun Hill
Five Card Stud (1968)
Escape From Alcatraz (1979)
Three Violent People (1956)
Arrowhead (1953)
Serpico
Dear God (1996)
Milk Money (1994)
Breakdown (1997)
Switchback (1997)
Kiss the Girls (1997)
A Simple Plan (1998)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)
School Ties (1992)
Urban Cowboy (1980)
The Cowboy Way (1994)
Beverly Hills Cop
Daisy Miller (1974)
Harriet the Spy
The Conversation (1974)
Murder on the Orient Express
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold
Alfie (1966)
The Italian Job (1969)
I.Q. (1994)
The Thing Called Love (Director's Cut) (1993)

Getting expensive but haven't noticed mentioned yet:
It Started in Naples (1960)
Will Penny (1968)
Nevada Smith (1966)
The Carpetbaggers (1964)
Branded (1950)
Paint Your Wagon (1969)
The Greatest Show on Earth
The Far Horizons
Waterhole #3
Frankie & Johnny (1991)
The Evening Star (1996)
In & Out (1997)
Soapdish (1991)
Andre (1994)
Barbarella: Queen of the Galaxy (1968)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#157 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:46 pm

Gregory, the War of the Worlds / When Worlds Collide double feature is in stock at Amazon for the time being, $13.49!

Murdoch

#158 Post by Murdoch » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:46 pm

HistoryProf wrote:The Conversation (1974)
Domino mentioned this early in the thread, it's getting a re-issue by Lions Gate in August - see here. So anyone on edge doesn't have to jump the gun.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#159 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:20 am

Terms of Endearment is also coming out August 3, and Little Big Man is not OOP

Also, at some point, I'm going to have to stop spending money on titles I think I might need in the future. I went from like six Paramount DVDs to probably five times that

Feego

#160 Post by Feego » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:33 am

The following are still available new from Amazon:

The Accused
American Gigolo (I Love the 80s Edition)
Beverly Hills Cop (80s Edition)
Clue
Death Wish
Death Wish / Escape from Alcatraz / Uncommon Valor (Triple Feature)
Election (Blu-ray)
Hud
Laugh Or I'll Shoot Collection (The Naked Gun / Top Secret! / Airplane!)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Centennial Collection)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance / Shane (Double Feature)
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Pretty in Pink
Roman Holiday (Centennial Collection)
Sabrina (Centennial Collection)
Shane
The Talented Mr. Ripley / School Ties (Double Feature)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#161 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:40 am

Feego wrote:Clue
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Centennial Collection)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance / Shane (Double Feature)
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Pretty in Pink
Roman Holiday (Centennial Collection)
Sabrina (Centennial Collection)
Shane
These are still in-print

HistoryProf

#162 Post by HistoryProf » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:38 am

Yeah...Plains/Trains was only recently re-released after a long hiatus and criminally shitty barebones initial release. Pretty in Pink was also redone for the 4th time fairly recently.

I don't understand the Centennial stuff. First they were gonna be blu rays....then they half ass it and only release 8 or so....then half of those go out of print in less than a year, but some others stay in print. I have to think those that went OOP are in the works for blu ray. They are major titles...pretty much the cream of their classics....if they can't make money on them, they might as well give up completely.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#163 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:32 am

HistoryProf wrote:Yeah...Plains/Trains was only recently re-released after a long hiatus and criminally shitty barebones initial release. Pretty in Pink was also redone for the 4th time fairly recently.
But that doesn't stop Paramount. One of the titles climbing higher and higher in price right now is the recent SE of Hughes' Some Kind of Wonderful

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#164 Post by Brian C » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:21 am

3 Days of the Condor (Blu-ray) is still available at Amazon. Just ordered mine. The DVD is gone, although you can still order the CD soundtrack!

perkizitore

#165 Post by perkizitore » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:32 pm

3 Days of Condor has been released by Studio Canal in Europe with superior extras, don't spend 20$ on the US disc!

Zumpano

#166 Post by Zumpano » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:46 pm

domino harvey wrote:Can't stress this enough: Check your Barnes and Nobles!
I followed Domino's advice and picked up Hud, Marathon Man, and The Talented Mr. Ripley at the Northgate location.
I'm poor, so I bought for my viewing collection and not for reselling purposes. But Seattle-ites, I did see Nashville, Heaven Can Wait, and Ragtime (all of which I already own) up there.

Now, I just need to get Save The Tiger, Margot at the Wedding, Breakdown, and The Tin Star.

Matt

#167 Post by Matt » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:36 pm

david hare wrote:What is the current status of Heller in Pink Tights?
OOP, but available cheaply from third-party sellers on Amazon.

HistoryProf

#168 Post by HistoryProf » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:59 pm

domino harvey wrote:
HistoryProf wrote:Yeah...Plains/Trains was only recently re-released after a long hiatus and criminally shitty barebones initial release. Pretty in Pink was also redone for the 4th time fairly recently.
But that doesn't stop Paramount. One of the titles climbing higher and higher in price right now is the recent SE of Hughes' Some Kind of Wonderful
well son of a bitch. I never bothered picking that up because I had the original. it's a guilty pleasure of mine (class of '88...I was 17 when it came out and thought Leah Thompson was super dreamy) and I have the first release. oh well, guess that'll have to do.

HistoryProf

#169 Post by HistoryProf » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:03 pm

Zumpano wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Can't stress this enough: Check your Barnes and Nobles!
I followed Domino's advice and picked up Hud, Marathon Man, and The Talented Mr. Ripley at the Northgate location.
I'm poor, so I bought for my viewing collection and not for reselling purposes. But Seattle-ites, I did see Nashville, Heaven Can Wait, and Ragtime (all of which I already own) up there.

Now, I just need to get Save The Tiger, Margot at the Wedding, Breakdown, and The Tin Star.
Tin Star has been OOP for quite a while now...good luck finding that. I've been looking for months not realizing this was going to be an epidemic. I also kind of held out hope it would be one Criterion picked up so didn't bother ordering one from the Marketplace. Still affordable there though.

MoonlitKnight

#170 Post by MoonlitKnight » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:25 pm

Murdoch wrote:
HistoryProf wrote:The Conversation (1974)
Domino mentioned this early in the thread, it's getting a re-issue by Lions Gate in August - see here. So anyone on edge doesn't have to jump the gun.
But why the fuck isn't Lionsgate also releasing it on blu-ray???? [-(

I've been waiting for my absolute favorite films to come out on blu before I start expanding my currently-small collection. And this is on of them. ](*,)

Cash Flagg

#171 Post by Cash Flagg » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:46 pm

HistoryProf wrote:Tin Star has been OOP for quite a while now...good luck finding that.
Amazon has the R2 for under 3 pounds.

HistoryProf

#172 Post by HistoryProf » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:21 pm

another one I noticed on my shelf: John Frankenheimer's Eco Terror masterpiece ( ;) ) Prophecy from 1979...still cheap on Amazon Marketplace. Those damned Acid Rain bears scared the crap out of me as a kid!

MyNameCriterionForum

#173 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:58 pm

HistoryProf wrote:another one I noticed on my shelf: John Frankenheimer's Eco Terror masterpiece ( ;) ) Prophecy from 1979...still cheap on Amazon Marketplace. Those damned Acid Rain bears scared the crap out of me as a kid!
Wait... you belittle me for liking Race With the Devil but you yourself like Prophecy? Whatever! #-o

HistoryProf

#174 Post by HistoryProf » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:01 pm

MyNameCriterionForum wrote:
HistoryProf wrote:another one I noticed on my shelf: John Frankenheimer's Eco Terror masterpiece ( ;) ) Prophecy from 1979...still cheap on Amazon Marketplace. Those damned Acid Rain bears scared the crap out of me as a kid!
Wait... you belittle me for liking Race With the Devil but you yourself like Prophecy? Whatever! #-o
I wasn't belittling you! I was belittling dicks charging $50 for Race on Amazon....it's a fun little movie, but not worth THAT. that's all I said. Same goes for Prophecy....it's a stupid but fun bit of 70s schlock and worth about the $5 you can still buy it for. But it'll probably end up $50 too, which is sad. The whole thing is just sad.

I would never belittle anyone for liking anything. I like some incredibly stupid shit and have zero room to talk on that front. But it just amazes me how some incredibly average to lame movies can command such prices when they go OOP. Hell, I almost bought Race With the Devil a few times, but never found it for less than $10...had I seen it in a $5 bin it would be mine. A good example of this silliness is the ultimate in schlock: Gargoyles - a flick that terrified me in the early 70s when I was little, and I wanted but never got around to buying. Now it's $75 and up. ridiculous.

MyNameCriterionForum

#175 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:15 am

HistoryProf wrote:
MyNameCriterionForum wrote:
I wasn't belittling you! I was belittling dicks charging $50 for Race on Amazon....it's a fun little movie, but not worth THAT. that's all I said. Same goes for Prophecy....it's a stupid but fun bit of 70s schlock and worth about the $5 you can still buy it for. But it'll probably end up $50 too, which is sad. The whole thing is just sad.

I would never belittle anyone for liking anything. I like some incredibly stupid shit and have zero room to talk on that front. But it just amazes me how some incredibly average to lame movies can command such prices when they go OOP. Hell, I almost bought Race With the Devil a few times, but never found it for less than $10...had I seen it in a $5 bin it would be mine. A good example of this silliness is the ultimate in schlock: Gargoyles - a flick that terrified me in the early 70s when I was little, and I wanted but never got around to buying. Now it's $75 and up. ridiculous.
No no, I understand, just playing along.

Clearly, though, smaller cultish films have more of a tendency to skyrocket in price when unavailable, which is kind of unfortunate... these are the kinds of titles you love to share with people.