Mikio Naruse Collection

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#26 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:45 am

Lopate's piece on Naruse is indeed a great one!

Matt

#27 Post by Matt » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:34 pm

Tomas

#28 Post by Tomas » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:35 am

I'm delighted. Finally I'll be able to see Late Chrysanthemums. It seems, that the box-set will have some nice extras.

whaleallright

#29 Post by whaleallright » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:11 pm

video and written essays by Barnard Eisenschitz
Eisenschitz is one of the best film historians out there. He's the editor of the lovely French review simply called CINÉMA, which has published a number of interesting pieces on Naruse over the past few years.

His video-essays (notably the one on the French DVD of MOONFLEET) often make extraordinary use of archival materials. This is a great addition to the set.

Saarijas

#30 Post by Saarijas » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:02 pm

Of the limited amount of Naruse I have seen, Floating Clouds has easily been my favorite. Definitely getting this set now.

MichaelB

#31 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:54 pm

I've been asked to post corrected specs for the Naruse box - in fact, this is the draft text for the back of the box:
BFI DVD presents three of Mikio Naruse's finest films, now regarded as among world cinema's greatest achievements.

'Naruse's films celebrate, without extravagance, the lives of ordinary people struggling for something better than the hand fate has dealt them. Performed with quiet certainty by superb actors, shot and edited with a sure and relentless hand, they raise the ordinary and even the sordid to a quality near sublime.' Audie Bock, Artforum

'[Naruse's] importance is without doubt the equal of Ozu's and Mizoguchi's.' Cahiers du cinéma

'[In the films of Naruse] a flow of shots that looks calm and ordinary at first glance reveals itself to be like a deep river with a quiet surface disguising a fast-raging current.' Akira Kurosawa

Disc 1: When a Woman Ascends the Stairs
(Onna ga kaidan wo agaru toki)
Japan | 1960 | 106 minutes | black and white | Japanese language, optional English subtitles | Ratio 2.35:1 (16x9) anamorphic

'[Naruse's] magnificent 1960 melodrama. An elegant essay in black and white CinemaScope and tinkling cocktail jazz, this tale of a bar hostess' attempt to escape her lot could give heartbreak lessons to Fassbinder and Sirk.' – J. Hoberman, The Village Voice

Disc 2: Floating Clouds
(Ukigumo)
Japan |1955 | 118 minutes | black and white | Japanese language, optional English subtitles | Ratio 1.33:1

'The elegance and indisputable hard punch of Naruse's storytelling become immediately clear the moment the lovers kiss and the director cuts, mid-clinch, to an almost identical shot of them kissing in the past, an edit that suggests this is a passion that transcends even time and space.' Manohla Dargis, New York Times

Disc 3: Late Chrysanthemums
(Bangiku)
Japan |1954 | 97 minutes | black and white | Japanese language, optional English subtitles | Ratio 1.33:1

'It is something to see Sugimura counting money, and sticking a wad efficiently into her kimono top. When her heart has been broken one last time by an old lover asking for money, she burns his photograph in a scene of chilling finality.' Phillip Lopate, A Taste of Naruse

DVD extras
• Freda Freiberg , Japanese cinema expert: audio commentaries; video interview with Adrian Martin; essay.
• Paul Willemen: video and written essays
• Bernard Eisenschitz: video interview with director Teruo Ishii, Naruse's assistant
• Adrian Martin: new essay
• Theatrical trailer for When a Woman Ascends the Stairs
• Fully illustrated booklet with essays
That's literally all I know - I haven't seen the discs myself.

There's no extra info to what I've already supplied, but a much bigger copy of the Naruse cover artwork can be seen at DVD Times.

ellipsis7

#32 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:43 pm

Those film specific 'audio commentaries' by Freiberg look disappointingly insubstantial - DVD Times gives them as just 15, 10 & 15 mins each (plus i/v's on each film with her for 7, 10 & 10mins each) for STAIRS/CLOUDS/CHRYSANTHEMUMS, and also a stand alone general i/v by Adrian Martin of Freiberg lasting 16 mins....

akaten

#33 Post by akaten » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:26 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:Those film specific 'audio commentaries' by Freiberg look disappointingly insubstantial - DVD Times gives them as just 15, 10 & 15 mins each (plus i/v's on each film with her for 7, 10 & 10mins each) for STAIRS/CLOUDS/CHRYSANTHEMUMS, and also a stand alone general i/v by Adrian Martin of Freiberg lasting 16 mins....
Well they certainly are selective scene commentaries, just being able to see Late Chrysanthemums after all I've read about it here is good enough for me.

Ideally what I'd really like to see is the Publishing wing of BFI comission a book length critical study of the life (insofar as it informs his work) and films of Mikio Naruse, written by someone who is keen to overturn conventional wisdom on the subject at hand...why Michael Kerpan of course!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#34 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:37 pm

akaten wrote:Ideally what I'd really like to see is the Publishing wing of BFI comission a book length critical study of the life (insofar as it informs his work) and films of Mikio Naruse, written by someone who is keen to overturn conventional wisdom on the subject at hand...why Michael Kerpan of course!
I'm flattered by your confidence -- but I'm afraid I am credential-less.

If I could really truly read Japanese (as opposed to deciphering a few words and phrases), I'd be tempted, One really needs, however, to find someone capable of harvesting what has been written about him in Japanese.

Also -- BFI or MOC or Criterion (or all jointly) need to fund translation of key parts of Narboni's excellent French book.

foggy eyes

#35 Post by foggy eyes » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:12 pm

I've just noticed that Amazon are apparently not dispatching the Naruse boxset for another week and a half. This is a little curious, as I plucked one off a shelf today in Fopp. Does anyone know what the delay could be?

Murasaki53

#36 Post by Murasaki53 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:38 am

I'd been wondering about the Naruse Box Set too.

And there don't seem to be any reviews yet.

While we are waiting to find out, could you tell us how much it was in Fopp and which of the reopened branches you picked it up from? Oh, and your initial impressions of the box would obviously be welcomed too.

ellipsis7

#37 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:41 am

It's showing as in stock @ the bfi Filmstore online & also @ Moviemail.... Presume it's just taking a while to make its way through supply lines to Amazon etc...

reaky

#38 Post by reaky » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:05 pm

Got mine from Moviemail yesterday (actually, Amazon UK seem to have gone to hell recently: you don't want to know about my three thwarted attempts to buy the Douglas Sirk box...).

I haven't had time to watch the films yet, but first impressions are that the box has been very well done. The box itself is nice and sturdy, the menus departing from the usual BFI style by using original poster art and being colour-coded across the discs. Extras seem fine - lots of Prof. Freda Freiberg on each disc (interviewed by Adrian Martin; giving an introduction to the films; and the so-called "commentaries" are actually close analyses of selected scenes - a format I rather like). There are also contributions from Paul Willemen. The booklet, while not a tome of MoC proportions, is a substantial 30 pages of pieces by all of the above critics, nicely designed and illustrated.

What I'd like to see now is a DVDBeaver comparison of the WHEN A WOMAN ASCENDS THE STAIRS with the Criterion - just going by the Beaver's captures of the Criterion, this looks sharper. FLOATING CLOUDS also looks lovely, LATE CHRYSANTHYMUMS less so, though still perfectly watchable. I can't wait to get stuck into this lovely set (my second Naruse Christmas box after last year's MoC).

MichaelB

#39 Post by MichaelB » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:22 pm

DVD Beaver on the Naruse box.

Senya

#40 Post by Senya » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:22 pm

Regarding Late Chrysanthemums...

BFI (DVD Beaver screenshot)

R1 VHS:

The second image looks brighter and closer to what I saw on big screen.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#41 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:41 am

World Artist Home Video treated the two Naruse films they managed to get video rights to with love. The WAHV screenshot looks a whole lot better than the BFI DVD -- in terms of pleasingness of image.

I'll have to see if I can find my copy of the Japanese TV broadcast.

ellipsis7

#42 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:16 am

Wonderful box, incredible films - this, the MoC set, the accompanying book(let)s and the Narboni volume have converted me big time to Naruse!...

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#43 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:30 am

ellipsis7 wrote:Wonderful box, incredible films - this, the MoC set, the accompanying book(let)s and the Narboni volume have converted me big time to Naruse!...
6 films is a good start -- only 64 (or so) to go. ;~}

Only two clinkers so far -- out of the 60 or so Naruse films I've seen.

Murasaki53

#44 Post by Murasaki53 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:35 am

Just wanted to say that I watched Late Chrysanthemums from the Naruse box last night and was completely blown away by it.

What a film! And one that nobody would probably get away with making these days. After all, who wants to know about a trio of forlorn, post-menopausal ex-Geisha and their bickering?

Loved the humour too, especially the 'Monroe wiggle'.

The part of me that can't resist rank ordering Japanese movie directors now has Naruse at no. 1 (slightly ahead of Yamanaka).

Incidentally, if you're in the UK, Moviemail are selling this box set at a very reasonable price and got it to me within 24 hours.

Steven H

#45 Post by Steven H » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:41 am

Hmm. The Friedberg stuff on the Naruse box is, um, unenlightening. She seems like a very nice person and all, but I don't see why the BFI put her all over this thing. Did anyone gain any insight from what she had to say? I *loved* the Ishii interview, and the booklet was a good read though. Overall in the extras department, not anything remotely as good as the MoC book or the Richie commentary and Nakadai interview on the Criterion When A Woman.

Great films of course, and I'm still in love with this release. I guess I'm just nitpicking the details.

lazier than a toad

#46 Post by lazier than a toad » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:09 pm

Steven H wrote:Hmm. The Friedberg stuff on the Naruse box is, um, unenlightening. She seems like a very nice person and all, but I don't see why the BFI put her all over this thing.
In the defence of the BFI on Freidberg it is nice that all English friendly Naruse releases so far have used different scholars. Although I must admit that I have only watched her bit on Floating Clouds, the release I found most dissapointing, and which I wanted some insights on before watching again. And did I get any insights... not any that stuck in my mind. Nonetheless, still like the idea of the variety.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#47 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:35 pm

There is a new translation out of Hayashi's book. I'd highly recommend reading this as the best possible supplementation of the film. ;~}

(Both book and film are independent, albeit inter-related masterpieces).

Meanwhile, feel free to ask any questions you want. Maybe someone here can answer them.

Steven H

#48 Post by Steven H » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:01 pm

lazier than a toad wrote:Nonetheless, still like the idea of the variety.
Yes, and I deliberately tried not to come on too strong with my disapproval. Variety is a good thing, but the ball was definitely dropped. Besidesl, even if the Ishii interview and booklet were the only extras, I'd be more than happy.

BB

#49 Post by BB » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:34 am

Hmm. The Friedberg stuff on the Naruse box is, um, unenlightening. She seems like a very nice person and all, but I don't see why the BFI put her all over this thing. Did anyone gain any insight from what she had to say?
Since I already have 2 out of the 3 films in the Naruse BFI set, I keep checking to see if there's any Criterion/Eclipse news before I decide to buy it.

Just watched "Repast" again last night from the MOC set. Stunning... And I gotta say the commentary supplements on the MOC Naruse set are some of the most insightful I've ever encountered on a DVD.

Does anyone know where to find a complete Setsuko Hara filmography?

And in addition a comprehensive Hara filmography with English subs (puny though it may be)

Hopefully there's at least one movie out there VHS or DVD besides what MOC, Criterion, and Eclipse have to offer...
Hopefully this isn't foolish optimism!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#50 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:48 am

BB wrote:Does anyone know where to find a complete Setsuko Hara filmography?

And in addition a comprehensive Hara filmography with English subs (puny though it may be)

Hopefully there's at least one movie out there VHS or DVD besides what MOC, Criterion, and Eclipse have to offer...
Hopefully this isn't foolish optimism!
JMDB lists 111 roles for Hara. IMDB only 69. I suspect the chance of seeing any of the films listed by JMDB but not IMDB is approximately zero (probably zero even in Japan).

IMDB is misleading, it lists two films after her last film "Chushingura" -- and I don't think either of these are even listed at JMDB (not under the dates listed).

Inagaki's Chushingura has been available on subbed DVD -- but I have yet to see this.

I'm not aware of any other subbed DVDs of her films, beyond those of Ozu, Kurosawa and Naruse -- which I assume you know about already.

Films not out on subbed DVD (or at all) to hope for --

Two more Naruse films -- Daughter, Wife, Mother (she is very sweet in this somewhat diffuse, but decent film) and Sudden Rain (edgier than in her other Naruse roles -- she and Shuji Sano have a somewhat tense marital relationship -- episodic structure, but very interesting).

Imai's "Blue Mountains" -- a very interesting and historically important film. I saw this before I became an Imai fanatic, so I need to revisit it.

Kinoshita's "Here's to the Girls" -- Kinoshita gets only a fairly generic performance from Hara -- yet more proof that he was not an especially good director overall. Still, I'd buy a subbed release...

Oba's "Typhoon Woman" -- Hara channeling Rita Hayworth (seemingly) as a smuggler's moll. A very fine good "bad girl" -- in probably her sexiset role ever. I rather like this very noirish film.

Yoshimura's Giwaku (Temptation) and Ball at Anjo House -- both are a bit stagey in terms of style -- but Hara is quite good in these.

Fanck's and Itami's "New Earth / Samurai's Daughter" -- two versions apparently exist, Fanck's cut and Itami's -- apparently quite different (these co-directors did not get along well). I think I've seen Fanck's version -- which is basically dramatically idiotic. Still, one gets to see lots of a very shy Setsuko (and hear her whisper in German).

Yamanaka's "Kochiyama Soshun" -- Kochiyama is an urban Robin Hood in 18th C. Tokyo-- and Hara is an innocent food vendor who is endangered due to her gangster wanna-be brother. Kochiyama rescues her (causing his girl friend to become jealous) . Another Yamanaka masterpiece.