Mikio Naruse Collection

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Mikio Naruse Collection

#76 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 01, 2014 5:27 pm

I would guess that you need to grab any copy you can actually find -- I doubt that there will be any additional copies created -- as nothing would indicate this sold well enough to justify another pressing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#77 Post by swo17 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:38 am

I've been informed that this set has not gone OOP. Rather, it is being reissued with simpler packaging--the same three discs in one plastic case plus the current booklet.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#78 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue May 06, 2014 10:49 am

swo17 wrote:I've been informed that this set has not gone OOP. Rather, it is being reissued with simpler packaging--the same three discs in one plastic case plus the current booklet.
Great news!

Looking forward to some more people picking this up -- so we can talk about the two films that don't involve climbing stairs at the end of the day.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#79 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:40 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:Looking forward to some more people picking this up -- so we can talk about the two films that don't involve climbing stairs at the end of the day.
Hey, I finally got to this set in my quest to work through my ridiculous backlog (a task executed while ~30 Criterions are working their way through the mail to me, so one step forward, eighteen back) and I think this set makes a much stronger argument for Naruse than the MoC set, which despite its fetish object legacy in the wake of its obliteration in the riots didn't offer nearly as impressive a slate of films as are served here. So, basically, don't fret about the MoC, pick this up for pocket change.

That said, I'm eight films in on Naruse and I'm honestly still not sure I'm sold on some of the virtues others find in abundance (and the BFI's slow-talking extras, uh, weren't real helpful). I'm coming to appreciate Naruse's willingness to depict people stuck in bad situations, not with detached objectivity but a sympathetic understanding that is hands-off enough to seem interchangeable at times. There's a presentational quality to these films that I like, but I also feel like there's some proportion of Element X missing from even the strongest Naruse film I've seen that stops it from rising above "Pretty good." I hope to reevaluate my reaction upwards with more films, but given Naruse is seemingly home video poison in terms of sales, I don't know that I'll even get that opportunity (I do still have a couple of the silents left in the Eclipse, at least). So, for now, he's stuck at 'Shows Potential' for me. Floating Clouds is easily my favorite so far, if that helps gauge my possible further enjoyment of the director's work

neilist

#80 Post by neilist » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:40 am

domino harvey wrote:
Michael Kerpan wrote:So, basically, don't fret about the MoC, pick this up for pocket change.
Although as swo17 points out above its apparently only awaiting repressing, I'm not aware of anywhere the BFI Naruse set is still available at non-exorbitant prices. Hopefully it'll get a repressing as it's a great set, but in terms of sales potential I can't imagine that it's at the top of BFI's list.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#81 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:59 am

Sorry, I was basing that on earlier comments on its cheapness and availability, I picked this up years ago

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#82 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:44 am

I initially felt Naruse was lacking a certain something, but that was because he wasn't doing exactly what Ozu was doing. It took me 2 or more years before I finally, got in tune with Naruse, feeling he was doing something uniquely valuable -- but it has always been hard to put the uniqueness into words. Part of this has to do with the handling of characters (and the way actors perform for him), part has to day with how the characters move, part has to do with his expert use of natural lighting (and/or the simulation of same), part has to do with the wry (often bleak) humor that pops up (sometimes unexpectedly).

I fell in love with Naruse via Repast and Sound of the Mountain. It took me a little longer to fully warm up to the films in this BFI set (other than Late Chrysantemums, which I always considered quite amazing -- and often extremely funny). (Note, I was familiar with all of these films well before the BFI set appeared via videos, etc).

Not much other subbed Naruse to be found, other than stuff on file sharing sites (not certain as to what films are currently available there). Hulu may have a few films that are not available on DVD, but not sure if any of these would radically alter your opinion.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#83 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:13 am

neilist wrote:Hopefully it'll get a repressing as it's a great set, but in terms of sales potential I can't imagine that it's at the top of BFI's list.
For what it's worth, I reconfirmed a couple months ago that they are still planning to reissue it.

zedz

#84 Post by zedz » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:22 pm

The window into Naruse's world that worked the best for me was the economic one. Money is a very important character in many of his films, and it's treated with a seriousness that very few other directors ever attain (Fassbinder is a major exception). Economic realities and anxieties drive Naruse's characters in complex and contradictory ways, whereas in many other films they're reduced to simple plot devices or unexplored and convenient character motivations.

Twentyfoureyes

#85 Post by Twentyfoureyes » Thu May 05, 2016 10:23 pm

swo17 wrote: For what it's worth, I reconfirmed a couple months ago that they are still planning to reissue it.
Any update on bfi's plan for reissue this set, I found this set quite too late and really want to get it. Is it would be worth spending OOP price (£60-70) for this set now?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#86 Post by swo17 » Mon May 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Sorry, I haven't followed up since my last post, so I can't provide any further update.

Calvin

#87 Post by Calvin » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:31 pm

filmyfan

#88 Post by filmyfan » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:12 pm

Excellent news -hope there is more to follow!

Matt

#89 Post by Matt » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:49 pm

This is almost certainly a case of “If you buy it, more may follow. If you don’t, it won’t.”

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#90 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:54 pm

I’m glad they picked the same title I would if I could only pick one!

dadaistnun

#91 Post by dadaistnun » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:12 pm

This is such great news. I have the unsubbed Toho disc of the new restoration and it looks fabulous to my untrained eye.

Finch

#92 Post by Finch » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:00 pm

My favorite announcement of the early year.

artfilmfan

#93 Post by artfilmfan » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:10 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:49 pm
This is almost certainly a case of “If you buy it, more may follow. If you don’t, it won’t.”
I am thinking of buying two copies so that more and more will follow.
Great news!

ryannichols7

#94 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:49 am

this has to be one of the first Toho titles released from any western boutique label in some time - at the least, from a newer restoration. I'm really curious if this is the beginning of the floodgates opening a bit..

headacheboy

#95 Post by headacheboy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:41 pm

I spoke to Jesse at Diabolik and asked if he would be getting up for preorder. He said that he was planning to do so. I hope that entices an even bigger audience...wishful thinking, but boy, I hope this turns into something bigger (as do most of us).

rapta

#96 Post by rapta » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:08 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:49 am
this has to be one of the first Toho titles released from any western boutique label in some time - at the least, from a newer restoration. I'm really curious if this is the beginning of the floodgates opening a bit..
I assume you mean English-speaking, as Carlotta have released Inagaki's The Rickshaw Man (plus The Samurai Trilogy), Shinoda's Silence and Ozu's The End of Summer over the past few years. Still waiting to see if these will make it to the UK or US though...

Last Toho title I can think of from a UK label is Kwaidan (MoC), that was in 2020! Doesn't always lead to more, but I'm hoping if Carlotta can convince Toho then surely Criterion, BFI or Eureka could with some persistence? Carlotta reportedly have loads of Kurosawa restorations lined up for 2024...