BFI (British Film Institute)

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: BFI (British Film Institute)

#1351 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:29 am

Q4 announcement:
14 October
The autumn slate is kicked off with the 39th release in the BFI Flipside strand, that revisits and reappraises British films that have slipped through the cracks of cinema history. Combining two ‘far out’ films in a Dual Format Edition – exploitation director Derek Ford’s Secret Rites (1971) and Malcolm Leigh’s Legend of the Witches (1970) – this release brings both titles to Blu-ray for the first time. The packaging will feature artwork by renowned illustrator Graham Humphreys and the set will be launched with a special Halloween event at BFI Southbank

BFI Musicals! – October and November
Coinciding with BFI Musicals! The Greatest Show on Screen, the UK’s greatest ever season celebrating the film musical, will be the release of Miloš Forman’s 1979 anti-war musical Hair, celebrating its 40th Anniversary with a UK Blu-ray premiere on 28 October

Other musicals coming out on BFI Blu-ray as part of the season are:
Jacques Demy’s ground-breaking Les Demoiselles de Rochefort (1967) on 4 November
Barbra Streisand’s 1983 directorial debut Yentl on 18 November – the first UK Blu-ray release of the film

4 November
Following screenings in cinemas across the UK throughout the summer, Varda by Agnès (2019) will receive a Dual Format Edition release. The final film by iconic director Agnès Varda is a documentary that offers a personal insight into her life’s work, using excerpts from her many films to illustrate her unique artistic vision and ideas

18 November
John Huston’s acclaimed Toulouse-Lautrec biopic Moulin Rouge (1952) receives its Blu-ray premiere. This new 4K restoration, which premiered in the Cannes Classics strand at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival, brings stunning new life to the film’s exquisite production design and Technicolor photography, which brilliantly evoke Lautrec’s unique vision of Montmartre, Paris

2 December
Paul Verhoeven’s breakout hit Spetters (1980) will be released on Blu-ray. Newly restored and available in High Definition for the first time in the UK, the film – a controversial tale of lust, desire and motocross – helped launch Verhoeven’s international career and that of its stars, including a pre-Blade Runner Rutger Hauer

Betrayed (1988): Costa-Gavras’s edge of your seat thriller sees an FBI agent infiltrates a dangerous white supremacist movement connected to a brutal murder. Starring Debra Winger and Tom Berenger and from the writer of Basic Instinct and Jagged Edge, Joe Eszterhas, the film will be released by the BFI on Blu-ray.

And finally, also to be released before the end of the year is Michael Caton-Jones’s Scandal (1989), an acclaimed interpretation of the Profumo scandal starring Joanne Whalley and John Hurt. With a new 4K remaster, it will be presented in a Dual Format Edition giving it a debut Blu-ray release for its 30th Anniversary.

L.A.

#1353 Post by L.A. » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:27 am

The Guardian has an article about the film and it’s star Betty Balfour.

L.A.

#1354 Post by L.A. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:12 am

Calvin

#1355 Post by Calvin » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:46 pm

The programme highlights for 2020 have been unveiled. On the home video front, new announcements are for Mark Cousins' Women Make Film (alongside a theatrical season of related films, though it doesn't say if any of these will also be released), Jessica Hausner's Little Joe and Best of Play for Today Vol. 1. Also promised are releases to tie-in with a five-month long celebration of Japanese cinema and a Kiarostami retrospective.

JAP

#1356 Post by JAP » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:53 am

Spring 2020 Blu-ray and DVD releases announcement

Lowry_Sam

#1357 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:13 pm

Since no one has mentioned it, the Pet Shop Boys' film has been finally digitized (and in 4k). BFI will be releasing It Couldn't Happen Here in June.

dustybooks

#1358 Post by dustybooks » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:02 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:13 pm
Since no one has mentioned it, the Pet Shop Boys' film has been finally digitized (and in 4k). BFI will be releasing It Couldn't Happen Here in June.
I've been listening to PSB for most of my life and have never managed to see this apart from the clips in the "Always on My Mind" video. I'm surprised to see BFI take an interest in it, as based on how completely it was buried I always assumed it was a failed experiment of some sort. It did come into existence rather alarmingly early in the group's career. But I'm a pretty dedicated fan and so this will be an easy purchase for me; I'm extremely curious about it. Slightly sad that Neil and Chris won't be doing a commentary, though, as their lengthy track for the music video collection PopArt is one of the funniest and most engaging I've ever heard.

Lowry_Sam

#1359 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:40 pm

dustybooks wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:02 pm
I always assumed it was a failed experiment of some sort.
This pretty much sums up my memory of it. I rented the VHS tape from a local shop (which I was completely surprised to see actually had it). I remember it being pretty random, with the duo traveling around with an older gent to various locales & the occasional breaking out into song. I seem to recall the videos for the first album were completely redone. At the time, it didn't work for me very well as a film, only the individual music video parts of it were most interesting & since I couldn't see myself ffwd'ing a vhs tape to select the music video portions of it, I decided not to actually buy it & haven't seen it since.

MichaelB

#1360 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:00 am

dustybooks wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:02 pm
I'm surprised to see BFI take an interest in it, as based on how completely it was buried I always assumed it was a failed experiment of some sort.
Perhaps less surprising when you consider that they've already released several films by Jack Bond and have a good working relationship with him. But Bond has form in burying his films for decades - it was pretty much impossible to see the likes of Separation, The Other Side of the Underneath (which he produced) and Anti-Clock between their last public screening in 1983 and the BFI's restorations a decade ago.

L.A.

#1361 Post by L.A. » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:26 pm

L.A.

#1362 Post by L.A. » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:46 am

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1363 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:47 pm

July 20th
The Good Die Young (DVD + Blu-ray)
Directed by Lewis Gilbert

The film opens with four men sitting in a car as they prepare to commit a serious crime. Each man's reason for being involved is then explored...

Mike (Stanley Baker), an injured and ageing boxer unable to find work, Joe (Richard Basehart) is an out-of-work clerk who needs to get to the United States with his young wife (Joan Collins) to escape her unstable mother (Freda Jackson), Eddie (John Ireland) is an AWOL American airman with an unfaithful wife (Gloria Grahame), and Miles 'Rave' Ravenscroft (Laurence Harvey), a 'gentleman' scoundrel with gambling debts and the man who lures the other three. From director Lewis Gilbert (The Spy Who Loved Me, Alfie) comes this 1954 crime thriller that promises 'Deadly weapons, burning lips, and hot lead!'

Special features
Newly remastered in 2K by the BFI and presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
Includes the original theatrical version and the never-before-released export cut
***FIRST PRESSING ONLY*** Fully illustrated booklet with new writing on the film and full film credits
Other extras TBC

zedz

#1364 Post by zedz » Tue May 05, 2020 4:05 pm

I see the BFI is releasing Peter Wollen's Friendship's Death next month. Finally! It's hard to believe it took a label this long to dig up Tilda Swinton's first star turn, as a Bowiesque 'woman' who fell to Earth. It's an elegant, witty science fiction chamber piece with Bill Paterson (who's also, predictably, great) as her sparring partner.

ellipsis7

#1365 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:44 am

Sight and Sound are launching a new 'the Auteur Series' with the first number JEAN-LUC GODARD: A SIGHT AND SOUND SPECIAL out on 6th July...

hearthesilence

#1366 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:56 pm

My first thought was "I guess they're turning into the film equivalent of Uncut." Then I found out not surprisingly that NME's former editor-in-chief took over last summer.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1367 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:59 pm

How will I be able to buy an issue? Do I just need to trawl eBay International next week?

antnield

#1368 Post by antnield » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:04 pm

BFI Shop link - also includes full contents.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1369 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:06 pm

Excellent, thanks!

colinr0380

#1370 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:16 pm

zedz wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:05 pm
I see the BFI is releasing Peter Wollen's Friendship's Death next month. Finally! It's hard to believe it took a label this long to dig up Tilda Swinton's first star turn, as a Bowiesque 'woman' who fell to Earth. It's an elegant, witty science fiction chamber piece with Bill Paterson (who's also, predictably, great) as her sparring partner.
Unfortunately it looks from the BFI Shop that this has been delayed until December.

AidanKing

#1371 Post by AidanKing » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:34 am

With regard to heartthesilence's point, I also was a bit surprised at Mike Williams' appointment as 'Sight and Sound' editor, given his apparent lack of experience of anything to with cinema. It looks as if his pitch might have been advising the BFI how it could monetise its assets. I too hope this doesn't result in the main magazine turning into a heritage cinema magazine in the style of 'Uncut' and 'Mojo'.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1372 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:15 pm

I mean, I personally love having the opportunity to pick up every Godard article from the last ~60 years collected in one place. Why is this a bad thing?

hearthesilence

#1373 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:48 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:15 pm
I mean, I personally love having the opportunity to pick up every Godard article from the last ~60 years collected in one place. Why is this a bad thing?
If there's any concern, it's how the magazine as a whole is being re-structured. If they were simply putting out special editions patterned after Uncut guides, I don't think there would be much objection, but changes to a publication aren't typically limited to the addition of collector's editions. The knock on Uncut, Mojo et al is that their resources and coverage is geared towards curating or evaluating old music - they do a great job at that (and it sells), but it comes at the expense of any decent coverage of new music (or rather music from newer artists).

AidanKing

#1374 Post by AidanKing » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:52 pm

In reply to Domino, I don't think it's a bad thing in itself but I am a bit concerned about the new editor potentially turning the magazine into a more retro-focused affair. The magazine has always had articles about films of the past, and that is in itself of course no bad thing, but I hope it continues with a primary focus on new world cinema. To be fair to Mike Williams, he hasn't been in post as editor for long and the current circumstances are challenging to say the least. It's probably unfair of me to start criticising him so soon so I apologise for that.

As an addendum, I suppose if 'Sight and Sound' does turn into the 'Uncut' of the cinema magazine world, there's still 'Cinema Scope' and 'Film Comment', at least if the latter manages to survive its current hiatus. I just hope that what could be broadly described as current 'arthouse' cinema manages to retain its only UK champion as it's probably going to need it.

MichaelB

#1375 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:24 am

The last big piece I wrote for Sight & Sound was simultaneously about a brand new film (The Painted Bird, including an interview with its director) and its historical antecedents, which is a very common approach - not least because it encourages people who are interested in the new film to delve into its roots.