Of Flesh and Blood: The Cinema of Hirokazu Kore-eda

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: Of Flesh and Blood: The Cinema of Hirokazu Kore-eda

#51 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:30 pm

j99 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:44 am
What did you do to get permanently banned?
Officially, "the purpose of your visits is to discredit the site and its contributors".

Actually, the purpose of one visit was to set the record straight about a release that I'd worked on extensively, when one of its reviewers was posting serious and commercially damaging misinformation out of technical ignorance. When I tell you that this person refused to retract his allegations even as easily checkable evidence mounted that wasn't exactly in his favour (understatement), you can probably guess who it was - and when I finally proved beyond any possible doubt that he'd made an error so basic as to call into question whether or not he was competent to review Blu-rays at all, he fell silent, something that's as eloquent as the wordiest speech in a context like that.

I wasn't banned over that, as that would have been a little too blatant even for them, but it was clear that they were looking for an excuse, so it didn't come as a huge surprise when it happened a few weeks later.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#52 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:46 pm

I effectively self-banned myself from there a few weeks ago after being caught in the crossfire of endless bootlickers falling over themselves to get some label rep to ask them to prom and I realized life was way too short to exert any more energy on this. I logged out and do not plan to ever log back in. I will surely miss the fifty "Thanks given" appearing beneath each new announcement of some grade-Z 80s movie with prominent oiled chests on the cover, but such is life

j99

#53 Post by j99 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:51 pm

I’ve only checked out the site a couple of times, but preferred this one. Seems like I made the right decision.

MichaelB

#54 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:24 pm

I’d taken very long breaks before - a two-year one in one case - so it wasn’t exactly a wrench.

The biggest problem is the near-total lack of any substantive discussion about the actual content of the discs - it’s all surface trivia like packaging, picture quality, endless navel-gazing delivery sagas of zero interest to anyone else. Very occasionally you’ll get someone posting something halfway intelligent, but it usually sticks out like the sorest of thumbs compared with the utter banality of what surrounds it.

longstone

#55 Post by longstone » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:54 pm

My set just arrived, it looks like a nice product and I'm looking forward to checking out the upgraded films and the stack of extras. I've only had time to start reading the booklet so far and it's nice to have some articles in English collected together after not being able to find much in the past. I will confess to already having all these films already in one form or another so I've double or even triple dipped with this set to get either the upgrades or extras. I was a little disappointed when it was announced that the BFI didn't ( or couldn't ? ) include Distance and Hana or even add some of the early documentaries as extras but it's still a fantastic set and great that Maborosi finally gets a long overdue U.K. release. Plus After Life was well overdue an upgrade from the old U.K. Soda pictures DVD release. I hope people who discovered Kore-eda via Shoplifters will be tempted by this set and maybe there will be a second volume to fill the gaps.